What's new

2011 CDTi going into limp mode

Sold5

Reaction score
Car
2011 S-type estate
Hi all,
My 2011 CDTi s-type estate has been losing power and going into limp mode regularly since I bought it 4 years ago. It shows up a TSA warning on the dashboard. Often happens on a particular stretch of road that sweeps uphill for half a mile or so - about half way up I feel the car hesitate like the breaks kick in for a split second and it goes down to 2000 revs max. I turn the key off and on and it goes again. Sometimes I have to turn the key off and on a few times. For the last year or so it never seems to have full power and goes to limp mode on most journeys and I can hear a slight rattling noise from the engine at low revs like when I'm taking off. No problems starting it and it's never left me stranded but I'd like to get to the bottom of it if possible. I just had the alloys refurbished/ powder coated and a couple of dents resprayed with the paintwork getting ceramic coated this weekend so I'll be keeping it for a while.
One ex Honda mechanic that I know through a friend told me I probably need a new high pressure pump and 4 new injectors, then to clean out the fuel tank and all the fuel lines. Any ideas on where to start would be great. Thanks for any advice.

TPS, from experience of the earlier stuff.

If you can engage the auto pilot/cruise control at the start of the climb it should confirm.

Thanks for the reply Channel Hopper. I ***ume you mean the throttle position sensor? How do I confirm it? Putting it into cruise control and seeing if that prevents the car from going into limp mode?

A sensible place to start would be to run a diagnostic check and retrieve any current and historical errors.