What's new

2011 Honda CRV 2.2 i-DTEC mystery oil leak

mishapopa

Reaction score
Car
CRV
Hi guys I normally don't post on forums so please go easy on me if I'm on the wrong one. It's not an Accord but it's the same engine, 2.2 iDTEC, N22B3. Hopefully someone finds this relevant anyway.

Long story short I bought a 2011 CR-V for cheap because it had a massive oil leak (the whole engine was caked in black and there was about 100mL of oil on the belly pan), timing chain rattle, and a bad flywheel. No problem, took the motor out and replaced the following:

- Clutch, flywheel, pressure plate
- Timing chain complete kit
- Rear main seal
- Front oil seal (behind crankshaft pulley)
- Valve cover gasket, oil pan & timing cover gaskets redone with new silicone
- EGR cleaned and new gaskets
- All new turbo studs, nuts, gaskets, including exhaust manifold
- All filters (air, oil, fuel)
- All fluids (coolant, mostly diesel lol, oil, tranny oil)
- New radiator too because somehow there was a hole in the old one
- Maybe I forgot some stuff but above is the major stuff

Ok onto the point. Start the car and everything is 100% and no leaks what so ever, great, when the car is idling or at high revs but when I go for a 5 minute drive a drop of oil forms between the gearbox and the engine - right below the rear main seal I'd say. I took out the flywheel cover that is directly under the RMS and check, it's dry.

I put the car up in the air, started it and threw it in 5th gear and just looked under the engine for a leak. 30 minutes, nothing.

I'm a little stuck, my next step is I ordered a dye kit so once that arrives I'll toss it in the engine, go for a dry and shine the flashlight to see if I can see the origin of the leak. That is ***uming it works.

I really have no clue where it's leaking from but have a small suspicion it's coming from the pulley end of the engine, maybe the oil pressure sensor, dropping on the driveshaft and making its way to the transmission side - as the driveshaft had a bit of oil on it.

Any ideas guys? Maybe someone had a similar problem? Anything else I can try? I can provide more info if needed. I should mention that this leak is major enough to create drops on the floor after a short 5-10 minute drive. Which is strage as a big leak should be easy to find...

See photos for references, some of the photos are the engine as it is now, clean. So you'd think finding an oil leak source would be easy.

Are you sure its not the driveshaft oil seal leaking and allowing oil to be flung around the engine bay?

Hi thanks for a response!

It's definitely engine oil. I put dye in and it shows up bright green with a UV flashlight.

I have been messing around with it since posting this and it seems to be leaking from the valve cover fuel injector seals. It's pooling oil at the injectors and draining down a little hole. No clue why...

Today I removed the valve cover again and added a load of additional RTV sealant to the rubber gasket. I'll not be starting the car until next week so I guess it has a week to cure. Hopefully that solves the issue or at the very least helps. Messy improper job but I'm at my wit's end with this.

When adding sealant,I find that the best method for me is after adding a thin coat of sealant, lightly tighten the screws finger tight- no tools.
After the sealant cures fully tighten the fasteners, This allows a better thickness of sealant and helps prevents leaks.

When adding sealant,I find that the best method for me is after adding a thin coat of sealant, lightly tighten the screws finger tight- no tools.
After the sealant cures fully tighten the fasteners, This allows a better thickness of sealant and helps prevents leaks.
This is exactly what I will do.
Just to give an update the oil leak is coming from the valve cover around the fuel injectors. I can't for the life of me figure out why it's happening.
I've ordered an OEM gasket, just the one that seals around the injectors. So I will just redo the job as per above comment.