Aux Drive Belt length - Petrol 2.0

ally

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 ivtec
Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

So I bought this belt from Euro Car Parts as it was the exact match for my reg.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/202779165

Took it to my mechanics today and he tried fitting it - turned out it was too long?

So I went back to ECP and they only had this one listed for the Accord. They suggested smaller options of the same belt.
I then took a 1749 (10mm shorter) and 1730 just in case. Both were too long. I then went back again and took 1715 which fitted ok but the pointer was not within the proper range on the plate behind the auto-tensioner pulley.

I should mention here the pointer was not in the proper range to begin with but wasn't far out. As ECP didn't have a smaller belt my mechanic sourced another (1700) from a local factor. The fit on this is a lot better and he's told me its safe to drive about. I have for the journey home etc and its been fine.

I haven't figured out how to post pics here yet but my concern is the 'proper range pointer' is slightly out still. There's a strip that pops out with a little square to the left of it. And the pointer points to the edge of the square box (further away from the strip that sticks out). The strip being the proper range indicator it should be in line with.

Any ideas if this is ok? or why its out of range and any thoughts as to why this many issues trying for the correct length. I thought it was only the Diesels that had a variation on belt length.

Thanks in advance

So after much stressing and searching around ive found the belt required is actually a 7pk1690 or honda part 38920 RBA 013. This is a shorter belt for the EPS models unlike the Hydraulic models. Personally i havent a clue about EPS or Hydraulic models but i know mine is EPS which makes sense.
Wonder if anyone knows where i can get this belt or if its perfectly fine running the 7pk1700?
Also not sure if the pointer being out will come into line with this 10mm change.
Just worried i could be causing long term damage running a 10mm bigger belt and having the proper range pointer out.

So after phoning round motor factors this morning it turns out the 7pk1690 is a nightmare to get your hands on unless you go direct to Honda and pay around £50 inc VAT.
Ive just went and purchased a Gates 7pk1685 for under £15.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-GATES-7-RIB-X-1685-mm-V-RIBBED-BELT-7PK1685-/311412814901?hash=item4881a67435%3Ag%3A5DoAAOSwjVVVuLOh&_trkparms=pageci%253A0101f24a-a0dd-11e6-bbb6-000c29915b2f%257Cparentrq%253A245315a71580a5e2820d88b6fffa8f3c%257Ciid%253A1

My logic here is that over a long period of time a belt would stretch, albeit very little, and having a 1700 instead of a 1690 suggests (in theory) my current belt is already stretched to a larger size. At least with the 1685 im only 5mm out and over time it will only stretch in the right direction. Plus being 5mm out is got to better than 10mm.
Hopefully this will be of use to someone in the future.

Quick update. Fitting the 1685 has brought the proper range pointer into the correct position. Fitting it was a doddle too having seen my mechanic do it so many times a couple of weeks ago. All you need is a 14mm long reach spanner. A ratchet/socket is useless as theres not much room in front of the tensioner bolt head.

@ally:
Many thanks for the details above. I've just hit this issue myself with Dayco 7PK1759. Just wondering how your Gates 7PK1685 has done so far?

@dandreye
Sorry for the delay, its been a busy month.

It worked ok for a while but i did have an issue with a constant whine/groan appearing at all times when the car was started and idle. Turned out the alternator had to be reconditioned and the mechanic replaced a pulley and the belt at the same time. This was probably a couple of years after i replaced it with the 7pk1685. Dont think the belt being changed led to this, i think more the age of the car.

Since then its been fine and i noticed earlier this year the pointer was slightly off, sitting in the rectangle, instead of being in the middle of the rectangle and square.
This time i spoke to Honda Holdcroft parts and they gave me 3 drive belt part numbers that came up for my car. Even they didnt know which one it would be and said all three should be the same length. I took all 3 part numbers and did a bit of research.
Turned out two of the part numbers were in fact too long and the other was 1689mm.
I got myself a 7pk1689 belt from ebay. I believe it was an SKF and replaced it.
The correct Honda part ref is 38920rba013 and it was cheaper via ebay, even with discount the HH price was higher for the belt.
Hope this helps

@dandreye
Sorry for the delay, its been a busy month.

It worked ok for a while but i did have an issue with a constant whine/groan appearing at all times when the car was started and idle. Turned out the alternator had to be reconditioned and the mechanic replaced a pulley and the belt at the same time. This was probably a couple of years after i replaced it with the 7pk1685. Dont think the belt being changed led to this, i think more the age of the car.

Since then its been fine and i noticed earlier this year the pointer was slightly off, sitting in the rectangle, instead of being in the middle of the rectangle and square.
This time i spoke to Honda Holdcroft parts and they gave me 3 drive belt part numbers that came up for my car. Even they didnt know which one it would be and said all three should be the same length. I took all 3 part numbers and did a bit of research.
Turned out two of the part numbers were in fact too long and the other was 1689mm.
I got myself a 7pk1689 belt from ebay. I believe it was an SKF and replaced it.
The correct Honda part ref is 38920rba013 and it was cheaper via ebay, even with discount the HH price was higher for the belt.
Hope this helps
Thanks for this, I ran into the same issue the other day. I replaced my alternator and my mechanic said the new belt is too long (I got the belt from sans place as alternator gates 1760), so I messaged honda spares they confirmed my belt is different to the k20a6 perhaps it being eps. But they are on back order till end of Jan. So I have seen a bando one on ayama which measures 1690mm and cross references the honda part 38920rba013, will get it ordered from there. Iv heared honda use bando japan for there belts too. Thanks for that part number you found really helped me find the correct one I needed