What's new

Battery conversion - 2.4 Type-S

Axlebart

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Type-S
Not long after buying my Type-S in 2015, I had issues with the battery running flat. I swapped it out for a Bosch S4008 (74ah / 680cca / Type 096). I've had absolutely no problems since.

However, to get the bigger battery in, I had to remove the battery box, cover, and J-hooks. It's completely insecure (I understand that this is a technical MOT failure? - never had a problem though). Due to the lack of room, I also had to remove the air intake cover.

I understand you can retro fit the battery holder components from the 2.2d tourer (or V6 version)?

There's a video on youtube showing this conversion, albeit this is not a Type-S, and he appears to fit a slightly smaller battery to mine (BCI group 35?).

I've also noticed that the relevant Honda parts don't seem to be available online within the UK.

Is this conversion possible on the type-s, and if so, where can I get the parts? Or would it be simpler to revert back to an OEM sized battery?

I wouldn’t trust this particular conversion to work. The USDM 7th and 8th gen Accords are not the same as the rest of the world. Whilst they have similar engines and chassis, there are lots of differences, so those parts may well not fit. The Acura TSX 1st gen and 2nd gen are the same as our 7th and 8th Accords, so I’d look for guides for those on YouTube, Acurazine and TSXClub.

If it helps I was able to fit the Tourer with larger battery from a Transit van without removing anything, though it is a very tight fit in the existing plastic box.

New Battery.jpg

I decided to go back to a smaller battery. I removed the old larger battery and fitted this one. Fits perfectly in the tray. Car seems to have no complaints so far.