What's new

Crank no start

Ronkey

Reaction score
Car
2014 Accord Type S
Hi all

I thought I would share an issue I had this week, together with the solution. I changed the clutch master and slave cylinder pistons on Monday. Completed the job, reassembled and was then ready for a test drive. I turned the key to find that the dash lit up with error codes and the car would crank but not start. No noise from the fuel injection system at all. Reading the codes showed no communication from the main ECU. I put a call in to Fahad (thanks very much!) who reminded me of the old mantra: don't panic, check your work.

After spending may hours checking fuses, relays and anything else I may have disturbed, I found a section in the workshop manual that mentions an inertia switch. New one on me, but then I am used to messing with older cars. This is intended to trip if the car is involved in an accident cutting power to the fuel system. It is located behind the dash above the accelerator pedal and has a (hidden) button on top you press to reset. I had removed the tubular member it is supported from to improve access to the clutch pedal. It is awkward to get a decent photo:
IMG-20230413-WA0003.jpg

Hopefully this post will save some panic in the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it’s sorted, and in my experience it’s normally something simple. Thanks for sharing, hopefully will prove useful to someone else in future.