What's new

Cranking but doesn't start. Left for 2 hours and started right up?

Frost XD

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord EX 2006
I've got a Honda Accord 2006, and this night I got in my car to go home, but the car didn't start (cold start, I had left it for about 5 hours after driving for 30 minutes.). It kept cranking and I thought it was a battery issue. Tried jump starting it but that didn't work. I left it for about 2 hours, came back to the car, turned the key, and it started right up.

Has anyone ever experienced this, or know what could have caused this? The strange part is that it started up fine after a while. I was trying to start it for a good hour before leaving it, including rolling it down the street trying to start the car. I'm just worried if I go somewhere I'll get stuck there if the car doesn't start again.

Yes (if yours is a diesel).

Try pumping the manual bulb just in front of the fuel filter next time it doesn't start, it should feel solid to the touch.
If not then check the filter is a genuine one and when it may have been replaced, you will probably have to change it.

Mine is a petrol but I’ll give that a try next time. What do you mean by pumping the manual bulb? To be honest I’m not quite sure where the fuel filter is located either.

I started it again this morning just to check and had no issues.

Mine is a petrol but I’ll give that a try next time. What do you mean by pumping the manual bulb? To be honest I’m not quite sure where the fuel filter is located either.

I started it again this morning just to check and had no issues.

If petrol then all potential fault fixes will be different.

Ok quick update. I tried starting the car again tonight and it didn't start. I watched some videos with similar issues which showed a flashing green key sign on the dash when the key is in the "on" position. This means that there's an issue with the immobiliser or fuse or something like that.

I then tried turning the car on with my spare key, and it started up right away. The spare key didn't have the flashing green key sign show up on the dash. I re programmed the main key and it got rid of the flashing green key sign, and I was able to start the car with it.

I re programmed the key using the standard method of turning the key to the on position, pressing lock, and turning the key to the off position. I repeated this 4 times. On the 4th time I pressed the unlock button after the lock button just to make sure it was working. I also pressed the lock button on my spare key to program it at the same time, before turning the key inserted into the car to the off position for the 4th time and removing it.

I'm still not sure what causes the main key to suddenly stop working, since it was working in the morning. I think I need a new transcoder chip for my main key or something. If it happens again I'll go to Honda about it. For now I'll be using my spare key, which is a shame since I did a flip key conversion on my main key.