What's new

dilemma ...what would you do

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Reaction score
Car
TBD
I've got a 1950's British car in my garage, originally owned by my grandfather from new, which I've now had for 40 years.

In that time it has ...
1. deteriorated on the bodywork (it's nowhere near a wormhole but there are bits that need attention that I can't do and the whole car needs a respray)
2. engine smokes so it needs to come out and fully rebuilt (I can do that myself but I'd send the block somewhere to get new cylinder liners pressed in)
3. interior has deteriorated and is in need of some expert renovation (veneer on wood ok, but needs a good polisher and the lining is sagging a bit and the seats and carpet are very tired)
4. chassis and suspension are in fantastic condition

It's a project that I keep thinking of doing, and I still might do it.

BUT .....I've seen an identical one for sale which is in fantastic condition all round. The cost of buying that might be a tad more than the costs of 1,2,3 above but obviously doesn't require my time.

On almost all cars made before the 1970's it is straightforward to swap over all the VIN/ID plates (this used to be called "ringing").

TBH if I buy the identical one and swap over the VIN/ID plates, I don't know whether I'd feel "guilty" or not. I suspect that I wouldn't, I'll gladly take a short-cut and then fix the "original" car but not to a high standard and then sell that on.

What would you do ?

PS saw this and thought WTF .....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322582099552

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

note that neither car is like the above example in any way shape or form but, when you take into account the difference in size and weight, the British car in my garage might take as much time and money to get looking decent :eek:

Depends, on how much the project interests/deters you, and how high the posterity/guilt factor is.

For me the work would be a big minus, and the guilt factor a fairly big plus, but not enough to tip the scales in favour.

How much would you get by selling off the family car after doing the deed ?

Would it pay for the fine if you got found out ?

A long as I don't then swap the VIN/ID plates back and sell the "original" as MOT'ed then it's not illegal.

"Ringing" was when they used to swap them over, get the MOT, then swap them back.

Let's call the "original" A, and the "replacement" B. A and B are actually identical in every respect except for condition. If B becomes A and goes to get an MOT in the "name" of A and stays as A, it's no different to spending time and money on A in the first place (except that I haven't had to curse and swear a fret).

I don't think it works like that, otherwise I would have done it with the grey import 84 Honda I have here, which I am busy swopping all parts over to a Europe frame with V5 registered in 1986.

Bikes - and I ***ume cars - in the mid 1950's did have chassis stamps though they were rudimentary compared to these days, I still have a couple of three section registration documents in brown that were upgraded to the green version and they have frame detail.

Channel Hopper said:
I don't think it works like that, otherwise I would have done it with the grey import 84 Honda I have here, which I am busy swopping all parts over to a Europe frame with V5 registered in 1986.

Bikes - and I ***ume cars - in the mid 1950's did have chassis stamps though they were rudimentary compared to these days, I still have a couple of three section registration documents in brown that were upgraded to the green version and they have frame detail.
The fact that one is a grey import is a big difference. The two cars I am talking about are 100% identical in every respect, if I removed the ID/VIN plates from both cars and asked someone to judge which belong to which car without looking at MOT history, well they wouldn't be able to do it. Apart form mainly "cosmetic" deterioration on bodywork and interior, they are identical. Also, no "stamping" of numbers on chassis or anywhere else, all screw-on plates. For some reason, although it would be extremely easy to steal cars in those days, it didn't happen very much. Indeed even in the 60's my parents used to leave the house unlocked when we went out.

As I say, it's illegal if you swap them over, have an MOT, then swap them back. Especially if you then try and sell it on.

Cliffordski said:
Depends, on how much the project interests/deters you, and how high the posterity/guilt factor is.

For me the work would be a big minus, and the guilt factor a fairly big plus, but not enough to tip the scales in favour.
For me, the work factor weighs much more heavily than the posterity/guilt factor , but I won't know either until I've done the work of course. Also, I don't think I'm OCD enough to do it to the standard that I would like to end up with.

freddofrog said:
The fact that one is a grey import is a big difference. The two cars I am talking about are 100% identical in every respect, if I removed the ID/VIN plates from both cars and asked someone to judge which belong to which car without looking at MOT history, well they wouldn't be able to do it. Apart form mainly "cosmetic" deterioration on bodywork and interior, they are identical. Also, no "stamping" of numbers on chassis or anywhere else, all screw-on plates. For some reason, although it would be extremely easy to steal cars in those days, it didn't happen very much. Indeed even in the 60's my parents used to leave the house unlocked when we went out.

As I say, it's illegal if you swap them over, have an MOT, then swap them back. Especially if you then try and sell it on.
Understood, so as long as neither V5 alludes to any model numbers apart from the front rear plates, the colour and any year changes to the design cannot give the swopout away, the last MOT mileage can be covered and any dealer service records (if it is a true 'marque') are unlikely to be uncovered later, then go for it.

Are you certain the donor car hasn't been through the double ringer already ? :D

Channel Hopper said:
Understood, so as long as neither V5 alludes to any model numbers apart from the front rear plates, the colour and any year changes to the design cannot give the swopout away
this just reminded me that I have another one (different colour interior) that is in quite bad condition that I bought on ebay in 2008 for £700. I bought it for spares and it sits under a tarpaulin, the doors and wings (and possibly chassis) require very big amount of work to get through an MOT and the interior is a real mess (not far off that 2nd pic in #1).

When I picked it up (using a big 4-wheel trailer) I noticed that the reg on the V5 was different than on the car, but the chap told me that the other reg had been sold. When I go the car back, it was only then that I noticed that there are no VIN/ID plates anywhere on the car, all unscrewed and AWOL. At the time, I didn't care, but sometimes I do wonder what I've got ....a V5 and a car that matches the V5 as far as marque and engine and model goes, but that's it LOL

Jon never shirks a challenge though unlike yours truly...okay what about a communal TA project instead, where anyone who fancies a bit of bish bash bosh can have a go.... ?

what round at my house , or should I rent a small industrial unit for a couple of months ?

To be honest I would bring the original car back to her former glory, especially if it's been in the family for a long time. Pain in the a r s e to do but worth it at the end of the day. On a plus side keeps you busy and stops the wife thinking up chores for you to do. :)

StuH said:
Do we get a prize if we guess what it is?
if I told anyone I'd have to kill them because he worked for MI5 on things that are still top secret and the car was used in-service with a secret camera and there may be some secret photo-negs hidden in the roof lining LOL
I'll dig out some pics and scan them ....oops photobucket ....I'l start an Imgur account, and, etc, etc

Aid said:
To be honest I would bring the original car back to her former glory, especially if it's been in the family for a long time. Pain in the a r s e to do but worth it at the end of the day. On a plus side keeps you busy and stops the wife thinking up chores for you to do. :)
you are right, the weighing scales are starting to tip back the other way now, but it's not wife that's the issue, it's knock-on effects of cack-handed sons and their issues that drain one's energy LOL

Aid said:
The joys of father hood ;).
I was lucky enough to go to a grammar school (several decades ago now) and really all I learned was academic stuff that didn't seem much use in the real world. But from what I have seen of my sons, as products of the comprehensive system, they don't know a lot less and rely on gossip as sources of news and DIY expertise. I reckon that this is why people from Europe and the Far East are in demand, because our education system is turning many youngsters into ignoramuses :eek:

freddofrog said:
But from what I have seen of my sons, as products of the comprehensive system, they don't know a lot less and rely on gossip as sources of news and DIY expertise.
And where do you get that information from ? :D

Seriously it's not the school type, but the generation gap. The rarity of coming face to face with noob grammer school kids out there wouldn't help though.

Social media will be the death of common sense btw.

re the dilemma, I've realised that the enjoyment would be fleeting, and long-term it wouldn't "feel" like the same car

Also, although it would cost me more in time and fretting, it would cost a lot less financially, and I'd also get the satisfaction at the end

If I can create the space I might buy it , but I'd keep the car "kosher".