What's new

DIY and REVIEW - Wireless Reverse camera

Thanks Blippi,

I think the wireless kit shown in this thread came with the camera (OP posted in 2010), and I've searched pretty thoroughly and haven't found this camera anywhere, so I'm ***uming it's no longer available any more.

Furthermore, I'd be concerned there might be some latency between the the transmitter/receiver (and then I guess also there would be batteries that'd need to be changed every so often).

I'm 'toying' with the idea of also upgrading the Head Unit, but honestly I don't think I will as I like things to look original, but I'm all up for running the cables through the sills, but then how from passenger side to centre (eg via under the carpet?) ??

My auto-electrician is very reasonably priced (has done work for me for free, which I wouldn't/didn't accept) so I would guess he'd charge me no more than around £100 (though most likely 1/2 that knowing him).

Thanks Blippi,

I think the wireless kit shown in this thread came with the camera (OP posted in 2010), and I've searched pretty thoroughly and haven't found this camera anywhere, so I'm ***uming it's no longer available any more.

Wireless kits can be found seperately ie;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12538589...OSm99bETiK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They can be wired in easily using the 12v feeds you need already for the camera.

Furthermore, I'd be concerned there might be some latency between the the transmitter/receiver (and then I guess also there would be batteries that'd need to be changed every so often).

I never noticed any delay etc and as above they are powered by the 12v feeds which are only live when reverse is selected so no batteries needed.

'toying' with the idea of also upgrading the Head Unit, but honestly I don't think I will as I like things to look original, but I'm all up for running the cables through the sills, but then how from passenger side to centre (eg via under the carpet?) ??

At the end of the cill in passenger footwell side there's a pull off plastic trim. Bare in mind I'm talking about the 8th gen but most cars have had these. That gives you the transition to the back of the glovebox area where the cable can be run behind dash to behind stereo area.

Also when I said along the cills I meant by prising the plastic covers off at the bottom of each door. Some trims can be left in situation like the one at the bottom of the B pillar between the doors with a careful use of large blunt screwdriver or similar to push video cable out of sight.

I decided not to use a transmitter kit as the cable was easy to hide, but previous experience found them to work well.

Hope that helps, appreciate sometimes it's easier to get the professionals in, I tend to when faced with mechanical jobs my backs not what it's used be and dirt and cold not as agreeable haha.

Last edited:
Thanks again Blippi :)

I guess I could try the transmitter solution, see how I get on and if I don't like it I can always proceed to having the cable run through from back of car to front.

Many thanks for the links and ideas - I am pretty good at DIY, not afraid to try things and thanks to this site have solved and saved myself money on repairs/fixes :)

I'll let you all know how I get on :)

Wireless kits can be found seperately ie;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12538589...OSm99bETiK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They can be wired in easily using the 12v feeds you need already for the camera.

I never noticed any delay etc and as above they are powered by the 12v feeds which are only live when reverse is selected so no batteries needed.

At the end of the cill in passenger footwell side there's a pull off plastic trim. Bare in mind I'm talking about the 8th gen but most cars have had these. That gives you the transition to the back of the glovebox area where the cable can be run behind dash to behind stereo area.

Also when I said along the cills I meant by prising the plastic covers off at the bottom of each door. Some trims can be left in situation like the one at the bottom of the B pillar between the doors with a careful use of large blunt screwdriver or similar to push video cable out of sight.

I decided not to use a transmitter kit as the cable was easy to hide, but previous experience found them to work well.

Hope that helps, appreciate sometimes it's easier to get the professionals in, I tend to when faced with mechanical jobs my backs not what it's used be and dirt and cold not as agreeable haha.

Hi Blippi,

Hope you are having a great Christmas :)

I've got my reverse camera kit, and decided to install it myself :)

I also went for the wired version rather than wireless and I'm planning on wiring this all up later this week.

Thing is, I believe I need to remove the rear seat (base only) in order to pass the wires from the back to the front of the car...... trouble is, I cannot for the life of me remove my rear seat base! (I have seen on YouTube many videos showing that there are two hook/tab-knobs that you need to pull to release the base, but there simply isn't a gap there at all for me to slide my fingers in and I've run a flat bladed knife where there is a gap (my fingers can hardly get in there without a fair bit of pain) and cannot feel/sense there is such a release mechanism).

Did you need to remove your rear seat squab and if so, please could you let me know how you got yours off (and how you managed to pass your wires through?).

Many thanks.

On the 8th gen when the rear seat backs are folded forward there is a trim panel behind. I fed the cable down it then passed it through the corner withe bottom of seat folded forward then when it was sitting nice just forced it under the edge of the trim without removing them. That way there hidden and didn't interfere with the seats operating.

And thanks I'm having a really good Xmas hope you'res has been good too.