What's new

Engine warning light

yellowsfan

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDi
I'm looking for help from members please.

My 2005 Torer diesel (47K miles) has cut out on two occasions, both times when accelerating in 2nd after pulling away from a junction.

The whole system shuts down which is very diturbing and dangerous. On the second occasion, I freewheeled into a layby and after turning off the ignition and then on, the car started but the engine warning light came on.

I followed the recommended procedure in the handbook, turning the engine on and off at 30 second intervals but the warning light remained on. I continued my journey - about 5 miles and parked up. Some 1 hour later I started the engine and the engine waning light went off.

My local gartage (non-franchised) and a personal friend plugged in the laptop and discovered a fault code indicating low fuel pressure. He tightened up the fuel filter and cleaned the sensors and then cancelled the fault code for me. The car has run faultlessly now for about 40 miles and I will take it back to hime to plug in and see if any fault codes have returned.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Hi there. Make a quick search in the sub forums and you will find several posts about the possible solution. It seems a fuel filter problem.

Hello and welcome. It sounds like the classic case of a fuel filter needed to be changed. If you do a search you will find threads on this topic. Please note though, you must replace with a genuine Honda filter as these engines are very picky. Do not under any circumstances buy an after market fuel filter as it cause you loads of problems.

Hope that helps

Welcome to TA,

Please use the search function.

This is most likely your problem:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1019-i-cdti-engine-cuts-out-when-accelareting/

It always astounds me that mechanics will waste time cleaning sensors and messing around with other parts, without simply changing the part at fault!

You need a new fuel filter my friend. Please buy a genuine one from Honda.

Cheers

Welcome to TA,

Please use the search function.

This is most likely your problem:

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1019-i-cdti-engine-cuts-out-when-accelareting/

It always astounds me that mechanics will waste time cleaning sensors and messing around with other parts, without simply changing the part at fault!

You need a new fuel filter my friend. Please buy a genuine one from Honda.

Cheers

Does one have to use the genuine Honda filter for the petrol version

^^ Does that answer "ones" question? :ph34r:

Many thanks to all repondents. The fuel fiolter was replaced in September 2010, about 2k miles ago. I thought (hoped) they'd used Honda parts but I will check when I call in to the grage on Tuesday.

Much obliged to you all.

I would check whether they actually replaced it.

Many thanks to all repondents. The fuel fiolter was replaced in September 2010, about 2k miles ago. I thought (hoped) they'd used Honda parts but I will check when I call in to the grage on Tuesday.

Much obliged to you all.
If it wasn't a Honda Dealer that did the service then theres a 99% chance it wasn't honda parts used. For peace of mind ust get it done using a honda filter.

Much obliged to you all.

Ambrose,

If it was an independent garage, then more than likely they used an after-market part or as others have suggested, actually not replaced it as it can be a bit of a pain to do and there are many examples on the forum of people suffering as a result, normally the posts are found in the newbie section as it is also the fault that brings people to look on-line etc.

If you have a Honda dealer nearby, it is worth either just buying the filter from them, or getting them to fit it, equally there are a couple of Honda dealers on Ebay if you don't want to pay London prices, they generally ask for your reg plate to confirm correct filter.

Once the filter is changed, it will more than likely feel like a new car.

Best of luck

Thanks again to the later posters.

I will insist on a Honda Filter - he's a good bloke and fellow retained firefighter with my son-in-law. I've known him since he was 10-years-old and knew his father before him. I don't think he would have said he replaced the filter but not done it but it may indeed not have been the Honda filter.

By the way, I did try the search function first but searched 'engine warning light' and nothing came up. Please be patient with this ancient newbie.

Hi there Ambrose. Not to worry the search function is a bit of a fickle mistress.

Our Diesels are a sucker of OEM parts especially the fuel and oil filters. Mine is on a Honda fuel filter with 20000 miles of VPower diesel; and is still upset with a little spirited driving when the fuel levels are low and the pump gets a lump of air when putting heavy throttle through a tight bend or dip in the road. Of which there are plenty near where I live.

In the interests of not upsetting a friend and regular mechanic; for the mundane tasks of servicing it is worth getting your own filters and oil from Honda Holdcroft (an affiliated dealer you will read a lot about) and ask your man to fit for you. They will ship it to you plus there is a club discount.

It might seem a little condescending for him, but our engines do demand OEM, and a lot of members of TA will attest to this fact.

Thanks again to the later posters.

I will insist on a Honda Filter - he's a good bloke and fellow retained firefighter with my son-in-law. I've known him since he was 10-years-old and knew his father before him. I don't think he would have said he replaced the filter but not done it but it may indeed not have been the Honda filter.

By the way, I did try the search function first but searched 'engine warning light' and nothing came up. Please be patient with this ancient newbie.

Ambrose,

As you say he isn't going to say he's replaced the filter if he hasn't as he is practically "blood" and can be honest with you, more than likely put an after-market filter in, with the good intention of saving you a few bob. Unfortunately unlike some cars the Accord i-ctdi is very picky on what you use, use genuine parts and 99.9% of the time everything is fine.

Here is a link to a DIY service on the pre-facelift model which part way down explains a couple of things about the filter, just in case he needs to know anything, the other thing to make him aware off, is to use 0w-30 oil it really is a must with the i-ctdi engine. I am only saying this as the engine is different from the norm and therefore some things like putting heavier oil in as the car gets older etc, don't work for the Accord.

Full Engine service Pre-Facelift i-CTDI

hope all goes well and your issue gets resolved

Ambrose,

As you say he isn't going to say he's replaced the filter if he hasn't as he is practically "blood" and can be honest with you, more than likely put an after-market filter in, with the good intention of saving you a few bob. Unfortunately unlike some cars the Accord i-ctdi is very picky on what you use, use genuine parts and 99.9% of the time everything is fine.

Here is a link to a DIY service on the pre-facelift model which part way down explains a couple of things about the filter, just in case he needs to know anything, the other thing to make him aware off, is to use 0w-30 oil it really is a must with the i-ctdi engine. I am only saying this as the engine is different from the norm and therefore some things like putting heavier oil in as the car gets older etc, don't work for the Accord.

Full Engine service Pre-Facelift i-CTDI

hope all goes well and your issue gets resolved

Many thanks for your valued input. I confirmed this morning that my friend installed a non-Honda filter.

I've just bought the Honda filter from my local dealer and it will be fitted on Wednesday pm.

Good oh! let us know how you get on?

Many thanks for your valued input. I confirmed this morning that my friend installed a non-Honda filter.

I've just bought the Honda filter from my local dealer and it will be fitted on Wednesday pm.

Great news

Hopefully this should be the end of your problem, keep us posted.

Honda oil filter now fitted.

I will only post on this issue again if I have futher trouble but fingers crossed that the advice of forum members proves to be the solution.

I have complete faith in you!

I will only post on this issue again if I have futher trouble but fingers crossed that the advice of forum members proves to be the solution.

Great news,

Just double checking he changed the fuel filter and not the oil filter didn't he?

I've only just noticed my mistake in the above. It was a FUEL filter that I purchased and my man fitted. Senility strikes again!

:lol:

We'll forgive you this time... but I think we all read it a FF anyway.

oops, must read page 2 of post B4 posting.
me bad....;-)

I've now done about 500 miles since the new fuel filter and the car is running like a dream

Great news Ambrose,

Hopefully that's the issue solved and many more trouble free miles to come.

Just shows how a simple thing can cause such issues.