What's new

F18B Intruiging saga - Garage exhaust replacement lead to P0141 on drive back now non-starter!

Accord Dance

Reaction score
Car
6th Gen 1.8 VTEC
Hello, newbie to the community with a problem and looking for any help available please. Had the car around 10 years and so have I've learnt a few things on the way so hopefully will be able to give back as I receive.

Day 1

2001 saloon had MOT stopped due to corroded exhaust so took to local garage for replacement. Was told studs on cat were so rusted that they had to be cut off and the flange drilled for bolts which cost more labour but fair enough. On driving back the CEL came on with a P0141 code (rear (cat) Oxygen Sensor heater circuit). Returned the car same day to be told it was nothing to do with them, it was one of those things and must have been the way it was driven previously to coke up the sensor however there was no code before being taken to the garage, I was advised to drive it to see if it cleared and return it to clear the code if it persisted. So basically a car taken for repair was returned unroadworthy with no offer to make good.

Day 2

Having only been driven a little more I tested the cruise control fuse (in case the supply ran through it - don't think it is fused now) and a couple of others just in case and then checked the sensor heater circuit which had no resistance, ok it is a dead sensor I thought as the wiring looked ok. However there was no voltage at the supply side either! How so? Could drilling at the cat flange damage the sensor? Could a damaged sensor damage the ECM where it is powered from if it isn't fused? Haven't got round to checking the voltage across the ECM connections yet to see if the ECM needs replacing - see below!

Day 3

About to check sensor for part number (before checking ECM) and after reversing to put it on ramps I turned the engine off. Wouldn't restart! Removed battery for 45 minutes which cleared P0141 but no restart (and no code return - yet). In case of bad luck I cleaned the distributor points. There was a fair amount of oxidisation on the points under the cap so was hoping this would sort out my bad luck but no, no restart. Any figures on ignition coil resistances by the way? (just in case). I'm wondering if the drilling could have disturbed the cat and sensor such that the cat is now blocked with the exhaust gases nowhere to go hindering start up and the sensor dead hence why there is no P0420 cat code or would that only show after start up?

So any thoughts on above please if you could spare a moment? Could the no start be related or a co-incidence? Any thoughts on the garage? Should I take it back or refuse for fear of worse and just demand some/all money back and on refusal do a section 75 credit card claim?

Comments on any or all of the above much apprciated, thank you. I may call Honda tomorrow to see what they have to say, will report back.

Happy of course to provide further info or carry out work or checks recommended (the car isn't worth much more than already spent so hesitant to swap parts without good reason).

Many thanks in advance.

When you say it does not start, does the dash light up etc. but the starter refuses to turn over? To rule out anything basic, check and re-seat all related fuses, relays and fusible links. Next suspect would be earth points to the engine block. Does anything improve if you put a jumper lead from the battery directly to the engine/gearbox body?

Did the shop do any welding on the exhaust? ISTR that it is advised to disconnect O2 sensors before doing any welding on the exhaust.

Hi Richard, yes sorry I should have said. The dash lights up (no CEL/MIL - at this point) and the engine turns over strongly with good battery charge. I'm not aware of any welding only exhaust sealant/putty being used.

It has always been a perfect starter so I'm inclined to think it is related to the exhaust work. I think using a drill against the sensor has resulted in the failed sensor either directly through force and vibration or by disturbing soot in the cat now coating it (is this a possiblility?). My fear is that the failed sensor has damaged the ECM so now wondering if the failure to get ignition is to do with a bad ECM?

I've since found my workshop disk and have printed off some troubleshooting procedures and flowcharts so will see where it leads.

Thank you for responding, further thoughts most welcome particularly about the garage liability for this.

Update - we have ignition!

Before doing any further investigation late today for some reason I thought I'd just give it a try again and hey presto ignition! Don't ask why, explanations welcome.

Not only obviously pleased the engine runs but it also cut out a load of test procedures!

So back to the original O2 sensor problem P0141.
  1. Honda's basic MIL flash code found by shorting the blue Service Check Connector under the glovebox and turning the ignition switch ON (II) gave six long flashes and five short (65). This confirms that it is the Secondary Oxygen Sensor (SHO2S) Heated circuit (A/T model) that is faulty.
  2. Reset the Engine/Powertrain Control Module (ECM/PCM) by removing the No. 13 CLOCK BACK UP (7.5 A) fuse from the passenger's under-dash fuse relay box for 10 seconds.
  3. Started the engine and code still present.
The next step (sensor connector connector re-testing) requires the car back on the ramp so put off until tomorrow. Hopefully a nice clean first time start will be forthcoming!
To be contiued...

About to give a positive update on progress made but it seems the cookie policy has changed with loads added automatically unless every single one is individually declined so I've just had the labourious task of disallowing each one. I don't want to go through that every time I log on so won't return until the cookie policy is changed. Thanks anyway.