What's new

Knocking noise on startup

seanmellett

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi all....I have an 05 Accord ictdi and was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what would cause a severe knocking noise on start up....it disappears after about ten to twenty seconds. Also when compressing the clutch there is a bit of vibration when idling. When driving on the open road I can't notice any problems clutching - but I notice sometimes (not always) at slower speeds when I change up from a slower speed there is a slight shudder in the clutch pedal along with a bit of a rasping noise. I won't be able to visit a garage until Monday and was hoping to get an idea of whats wrong. Thanks to all in advance.

sorry but im on the mobile so i can't see what car you have is it a diesel. If so i suspect the dmf but really its a guess see what other members here think

Sounds like a badly worn DMF, but knocking on start up could also be oil - have you checked the oil level? Has it just started doing it?

Sounds like a badly worn DMF, but knocking on start up could also be oil - have you checked the oil level? Has it just started doing it?
It all started this evening in traffic....haven't checked oil but I changed the oil less than a month ago...will check it first thing in the morning

What oil did you use? It could possibly be a snapped oil pump...

Personally I would refrain from driving it until you can have it diagnosed. Any unusual knocking on the ICTDI is never a good sign.

Is it a thumping or tapping sound?
It's a great thumping rattle.....anyway I found a garage that was open and was told it was the clutch and flywheel that need replacing *puke* They didn't have a quote for me until Monday.....anyone one know a number where I could order one from the UK (I'm based in Galway, Ireland) as I'm pretty sure I'll be raped over here pricewise.

to be honest i would not let another garage except a Honda one do this. also if you can use hh at stoke

if the knocking goes when you press the clutch its the flywheel. not necessarily a Honda job. any good mechanic will be able to do it. expect to pay half a day to a whole day in labour though. your clutch may not necessarily be duff but it makes no sense not changing it while the flywheel is out. either way it won't be cheap unfortunately i am sorry to say.

if you have the clutch replaced by a backstreet garage, make sure you ask them to use the honda special tool to fit it. i am sure there is a devise on the market to replicate the special tool but if not, with some persuading on there part a good honda garage may lend the tool to them. there is no point fitting a clutch if it is only going to slip a few hundred miles down the road. regards the noise and vibration. what you describe does sound like a dmf failure but beware through poor ownership/servicing some oil pump chains are prone to snapping.

if the knocking goes when you press the clutch its the flywheel. not necessarily a Honda job. any good mechanic will be able to do it. expect to pay half a day to a whole day in labour though. your clutch may not necessarily be duff but it makes no sense not changing it while the flywheel is out. either way it won't be cheap unfortunately i am sorry to say.

Absolutely a Honda only job for exactly the reason described by Adam above. Seriously mate, we've been here before with diesel owners so please be careful with dispensing 'general' advice.

I've seen a few diesel clutches done by non Honda dealers, needing to be replaced within the first 12 months due to bad installation. And also DMF's replaced unnecessarily.

Honda will be able to check the DMF for freeplay measurements, a backstreet garage won't know the tolerance specs to check.

i had exactly the same problem and it got worse, but then disappeared!

the problem occured about 9 months ago. On engine start up and switching off there was a loud clatter as if the engine mounts were loose, the clutch would vibrate and tap up against the bottom of my foot. This went away after one day and came back again a few weeks later when sitting in traffic, but this time i was having trouble putting the car into gear, i could only drive the car by starting it in gear.

So I immediatly took the car to my local garage, they had the car for 3 days running all kinds of diagnostics and testing but were no closer to identifying the exact problem although there was plenty of guessing, the clutch and flywheel was suggested, i was told the problem would get worse if it was. they called me on the 4th day to say the car was back to normal and to come and pick it up. the car appeared to magically cure itself overnight. i wasnt billed for any testing or diagnostics as nothing was found and no work was carried out. Had the problem about 3 months later but thought f*ck it and just carried on driving all day, the next morning the car was fine again.

Since my full service 2 months ago i havent had the problem again. I'd put my money on it being the oil change. I could usually sense when the problem was going to occur but I haven't had it since.