What's new

Rear brake issue - Honda say it's normal?

metis

Members
Reaction score
Car
08 Accord 2.4 EX
I purchased my new 2008 tourer 3 weeks ago from Honda dealer, after picking it up I noticed a noise and kocking from the rear, my local dealership diagnosed an out of shape rear tyre, they also advised that all 4 should be replaced. I went back to the dealership I purchased it from and they replaced both rear tyres - after some pressure from me they also replaced the two fronts.

After getting my car back the knocking noise had gone but there was still a grinding noise from the rear. I jacked the car up and both my rear discs were grinding on the pads.

It went back to the dealership and they said they had got rid of rust from the discs and it was now fine, I specificly asked if they could hear it when driving and was told no it could not be heard, the service manager said that it is normal to have some noise when spinning the wheel.

I get the car back today and the noise is still there, it's a constant scoring noise coming from the rear of the car when driving, you can hear it up until about 70 when wind and road noise drowns it out. It also seems to get louder the longer you drive the car as I think it's heating up the pads/discs which expand and cause more friction. I jacked the car up and did another video just now - please see the vid below and offer opinions. is this anywhere near normal, are Honda taking the mickey out of me handing it back to me like this? I'm calling the dealership first thing in the morning as I've never had a car or been in a car that sounded like this, that you could hear the brakes rubbing whilst you were driving (and not whilst you are braking, all the time) I realy like the car but cannot live with the brakes like this. I'm still within 30 days of purchase so am thinking about returning it under the "Honda Happiness" agreement but could realy do without that hassle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPvyFwUMTuM

That sounds very dry, cannot see the thickness of the pads, are they good? It could be the brake shoes inside the drum binding, have you tried driving with hand brake on for a short distance? that will clean any muck off the drums, you will get a beep after a little while, if the 8th is like the 7th gen. Also try reverse at a moderate speed and jam the anchors on, that may help as well. As a last suggestion do your discs/wheels get hot after driving a while, it could be the calipers/pistons not returning or the dreaded brake hose collapse (internally) and bits getting behind the piston thereby holding it out and the pads on. Cannot speak for 2008 model but my 2004 has a steel wear pin on the inside pad, which starts to squeal as the pads reach the end of thier useful life.

That sounds very dry, cannot see the thickness of the pads, are they good? It could be the brake shoes inside the drum binding, have you tried driving with hand brake on for a short distance? that will clean any muck off the drums, you will get a beep after a little while, if the 8th is like the 7th gen. Also try reverse at a moderate speed and jam the anchors on, that may help as well. As a last suggestion do your discs/wheels get hot after driving a while, it could be the calipers/pistons not returning or the dreaded brake hose collapse (internally) and bits getting behind the piston thereby holding it out and the pads on. Cannot speak for 2008 model but my 2004 has a steel wear pin on the inside pad, which starts to squeal as the pads reach the end of thier useful life.

I've done about 300 miles since getting the car so plenty of miles to clean anything off, if anything the problem is getting worse. Pads have lots plenty left on them, it's not the steel wear pin.

Sounds daft but sounds more like the shield fouling to me.
Possibly take the wheel off, just rotate the hub and try pressing or moving the rear shield and see if the noise changes ?
A little difficult to tell via video though .....

It's def the pad grinding on the disc - you can feel the contact throught the wheel - it's also on both rear wheels.

You should have a 12 month warranty do get it back to the dealers and insist they do something.
This has been seen on the 8th a few times and it's the calipers sticking

I've done about 300 miles since getting the car so plenty of miles to clean anything off, if anything the problem is getting worse. Pads have lots plenty left on them, it's not the steel wear pin.

you have not driven 330 miles with hand brake on though, just give that try first!!

I recorded the noise from within the car this morning whilst driving on a smooth road -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzkru8g9Rk0&feature=youtu.be

The thumps on the vid are speed bumps down a smooth road! The noise I'm on about is the loud drone.

Anyway - I've had an independant dealer look at the car and they have convinced me it's nothing to do with the brakes - but is because of cheap tyres fitted to the car.

The tyres are 4 x brand new Primewell PZ900 - I've looked up reviews and lets just say they are not a popular choice - many complaints about noise/performance.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Primewell/PZ900.htm

There is also a whine that I don't think is the tyres, but a seperate issue - I'm thinking it is a characteristic of the car but will start a new thread to see opinions from other people. The whine is speed related, and gets louder when the throttle is very lighty pressed (e.g when maintaining speed on motorway) If I take the car out of gear the wine is still there, the pitch of the whine relates to the vehical speed, not rpm but does get louder with light throttle use.

So now I'm off to annoy the dealer again, they must realy hate me by now but all I want is a noise-free car ! I'm not holding my breath about them changing my tyres again though, maybe they will go halves.....

I'll report back when I've had 4 new tyres fitted......

As advised by others on here, buy a balaclava, or turn the radio up. It's because the engine is so quiet you hear the extranious noises.

I just changed my rear pads today and the inner pad (handbrake) does rub slightly and make a similar noise to yours when spinning the wheel. I don't here this when driving though so not the brakes.....

quick word please mate DO NOT TOUCH YOUR DISCS after a drive. you are liable to take the skin off your finger tips! as with most hondas, its really important the pad carrier part of the caliper is spotless before putting new pads in. corrosion build up under the stainless plates causes the pads to be too tight in the carrier and bind on.