What's new

Timing chain

Paul Davis

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 accord cdti
All I suspect that the timing chain has snapped while is was driving. Is the 2.2 cdti engine an interference engine? Fault code is P0340. 222333 miles on the clock. Not sure what to do.

Really depends on whether you want to save it. Might be better to cut your losses.

From what I've heard and experienced it's the oil pump drive chain that snaps first and the cam drive one doesn't.

Mine snapped at about 50mph and I knew what it was straight away and so immediately killed the engine. This saved the engine and it ran it for many years after a new chain but the run down from high revs with no oil pressure did wreck the turbo bearings and this had to be re-built.

What happened to yours? Did you lose oil pressure immediately and did you kill the engine?

Powering up a hill, clunky dunky clunk warning lights on engine dies cost down the hill to a safe place to pull over, no brakes no power steering. I recon bye bye engine

At almost a quarter of a million miles its worth taking the injectors out to check compression even if it is one last time.

If you have the space you might make a bit more breaking it, otherwise the local scrapyard should pay over £100 to collect it.

Wondered what the 29 was about, terrible loosing a car like that!