What's new

Tourer rear Brake change

Having just replaced every friction component on my tourer, your rear shoes looked okay there.

The new ones that came for mine (Mintex) were very thick in comparison to the originals and even with the adjuster wound all the way off, the disc was not fitting back over the shoes no matter how hard you wanted to hit it with a hammer.

I sent the Mintex ones back and had the originals re-covered with asbestos (f**k H&S) lining just slightly thicker than what was on the originals.

Refit the disc, lean through the hole and adjust the shoes out until the disc won't rotate, then simply back it off one click. Leaves a nice tight handbrake on the second click and will easily lock both rears at 50mph on hot tarmac. Very impressed.

Will have to get back in there sometime soon and rebuild the calipers though, passenger side rear seems a bit sticky at times

Great guide, I will use this when I get my tourer.

My Toyota has the same setup for the rear handbrake, flaming nightmare to adjust properly!!

What's the best thing to lube the sliders with when reassembling. Something long lasting, that won't perish the dust cover I'm guessing?

Red rubber grease is what you need, don't use copper grease, it will cause the rubbers to perish - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handy-15g-HQ-Red-Rubber-Brake-Grease-Caliper-Fluid-Great-For-Rubber-Parts-/130726079425?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e6fe1abc1

You don't need to use much, just a thin covering on the slider pins. If you use too much it can cause a vacuum effect meaning the pin will keep sucking itself in so the caliper can't move as freely.

Hi,

My OSR brake rotor seems to be stuck on. I have followed Dans writeup (great work by the way) however even after using bolts to much the disc away from the hub, the bugger still doesn't want to come off.

I am unable to get to the wind back cog for the shoes because unlike Dans photo my disc is still stuck on.

Ive bashed the rotor and theres some move movement however not enough to free the disc.

Any ideas?

Can someone confirm what size bolts to use in the disc to push it off the hub as the new taken form the hose bracket don't seem to be long enough!

If you have problems getting that Hose bracket bolt off that Dan uses get yourself to the hardware store and buy some M8 hex bolts.

I ended using some 80mm M8s to force my discs off.

Gonna get me some of them rubber grommets to help prevent water getting in, hopefully I won't have as much bother getting them off the next time!

Other things that may help a newbie like me - If you do the fronts you will need a 7mm hex key to remove your calipers.

If you have bled your brakes and find that when you turn your engine on and press your brake pedal. It feels firm but then softens this apparently is normal. This played on my paranoia for a while but brakes seem to work fine!

i'm sure this is a good write up but i can't see any pictiures only exclamation mark signs i need help getting the rear rotors off and the pictres would have been really helpful as eveything else has come apart but the rotor seems stuck on the in hat parking brake shoes and without pictures i've no idea what the cog to wind them in looks like and can't find any diagrams online :(

i'm sure this is a good write up but i can't see any pictiures only exclamation mark signs i need help getting the rear rotors off and the pictres would have been really helpful as eveything else has come apart but the rotor seems stuck on the in hat parking brake shoes and without pictures i've no idea what the cog to wind them in looks like and can't find any diagrams online :(

All pictures vanished when the hosting site disappeared.

Is the handbrake cable completely free ?

Similar to this:
You have to rotate the disc to where the cog is behind it. Probably not in the same place as the picture on a Honda.

ujsSsXK.jpg

I've just changed my rear discs at the weekend, nightmare if you don't release the shoes via the cog, also if using the screws to push the disc off will need longer ones than the two holding the hose on that people use. Best bet is to just rotate the cog and release the shoes, doesn't take much to release them, disc should come off easy or with a few taps. Use a flashlight to see the cog, it's behind the spring, the cog will hit the spring as you turn it, well mine did.