What's new

Type s vs executive?

johnnygti

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord executive
Just wanting to know if the cl9 2.4 executive model has the exact same engine,,, might sound silly to ask but i cant see much sportyness or vtec noise or even notice vtec kick in on mine so would be dissapointed to find the type s model the same?

Both exactly the same engine. S was just a trim level, and suspension perhaps.

yeah they both come with the 2.4 the only difference would be ineteriors like the exec with a better sound system heated seats sat nav etc and i think the type s has a sports suspension

The S had the same suspenauon.

Tbe EX also has a aunroof.

My understanding is they're same car except the Type S has a nice body kit which the Exec doesn't. Exec has more luxurious interior, heated leather seats, integrated sat nav head unit, wicked sound system etc.

I think the Exec modified with body kit, and some sport suspension, like the A-Spec or Eibach springs would be a better all rounder. You've got the luxury of the Exec, the look of the Type S and it's been lowered a little to give it better sports performance than it would have previously had.

But obviously that all costs money. Without mods, you've got to trade off looks for comfort. Look great in the Type S with its skirts. Be comfortable in the Exec with its sat nav, leather seats etc, but don't have the skirts...

Just wanting to know if the cl9 2.4 executive model has the exact same engine,,, might sound silly to ask but i cant see much sportyness or vtec noise or even notice vtec kick in on mine so would be dissapointed to find the type s model the same?

The VTEC's very different in this car. It's the i-VTEC which is designed with performance and fuel efficiency in mind. There are 3 or 4 stages of small kick as opposed to one massive kick. It's intended to maximise fuel efficiency whilst still giving you the same top end grunt of previous Hondas when needed. Only you get there through a more even and continual increase in power as opposed to the sudden VTEC kick of old. It's not for everyone I know. But you can get 450 miles easily on motorway, 400+ miles around town and A-Road too if driven right. For a 2.4 petrol, that's good. But you've got that power there if you need to overtake and things. It is well refined, you've just got to get used to how the engine behaves.

How long have you had the car? You do kind of need to learn these stages and what gears go where in relation to them. But you can get the car to behave quite brutally when you want to. It's a tough engine and don't be afraid to drop from cruising at 45mph in 6th gear to 2nd gear :D . You get a good grunt and kick then ;) .

This is an old article about the unveiling of the first i-Vtec engine, but explains about the theory behind the i-VTEC. Your engine should make a little more sense after reading this. It did for me.

I think an induction kit really helps bring out the roar and kick of the vtec in this engine, otherwise gotta agree - it feels tame for a 2.4 Vtec

Thanks for the replies guys! The v tec review sure does make sense to me! Mine is the exec 53 plate however does not have a sat nav :(

I didn't think the Exec came without Sat Nav. How odd. Sure you've not got the Type S ;) . Have you got electric adjustable heated leather seats, a sun roof and a very good sound system?

I've never seen one without either - which headunit do you have fitted? I take it you don't have the DVD player behind the hatch underneath either?

I find the 2.4 feels more like a well balanced 6 pot than the more frantic standard VTEC units. There's no 'whoah' moment, but it pulls deceptively smoothly for most of the dial. It feels like it settles into an easy rhythm though and only comes massively alive if you prod it very hard :)

I find the 2.4 feels more like a well balanced 6 pot than the more frantic standard VTEC units.

Yeah, when I first brought it I was curious about a noise from the brakes (turned out to just need a clean and re-grease). Took it into my local garage who did all the work on my Golf before the Accord. As I went in to pick the car up, the old boy there (the owner who had a diesel facelift 7th Gen) had just driven out of the workshop into the car park and asked if it was a V6 as it was such a smooth engine. I said, nope, straight four. He smiled, and said, "those boys at Honda know what they're doing...".

And like you say, it will romp, you just have to prod it right ;) .

the S and Exec can come with any mix match of optional extras it just depends what was added by the first owner mine is the exec with all the type S trim fitted + the lowered suspension from factory :D I've got the honda accord brochure that shows all the options you can have fitted.

2012-02-27153714.jpg

2012-02-27101956.jpg

love this photo

2012-02-27154325.jpg

2012-02-27154315.jpg

2012-02-27154306.jpg

2012-02-27154257.jpg

2012-02-27154239.jpg

2012-02-27154202.jpg

2012-02-27154145.jpg

2012-02-27154115.jpg

2012-02-27154058.jpg

2012-02-27154345.jpg

2012-02-27153907.jpg

Wow! I wish I was rich enough to buy a car from new and taylor it exactly to what I wanted. Not have to buy a second hand car and then change it to be what I'd ideally like. That's life I guess.

Or just get lucky and buy a second hand car that has all the extras fitted :rolleyes: the original owner of mine was a leasing company the guy i bought it from spec'd everything possible because the company was paying for it :lol:

Wow! I wish I was rich enough to buy a car from new and taylor it exactly to what I wanted. Not have to buy a second hand car and then change it to be what I'd ideally like. That's life I guess.

Bought a van - in cash - made to measure.... racked to measure.... wrecked in 6 months.... with possession comes responsibility :(.

IMAG0144.jpg

IMAG0143.jpg

Claim - 22K. Not my fault.... Over a year to sort out.,

thanks for the brochure, i have never seen one for my car, great!! also feel for you and the crash, one year on, i am still waiting to go to court! not my fault either!

If you want the original PDF of the brochure PM your email address to me. State whether or not it is facelift or not though.

Only the 2.4 petrol with ADAS....

That brochure also states execs have hids as standard but my didnt have that either,!

When the 2.4 exec was first released, they dressed up two types, one with the Sat Nav and HIDs the other with the Premier Sound system and no HIDs. The no HID/Sat Nav option was sold outside the UK and is the Standard exec spec we got in Ireland. For the UK they discontinued no HID/Sat Nav option pretty quickly as they wanted to hit the market as a "Premium Brand"

So it sounds as if you got one of the small batches made with this spec. FYI - the minimum order batch was 5 :)

Resurrecting an old thread here rather than start a new one, does anyone know if all of he above applies to a 2 litre Type-S v EX seventh gen?

Looking at an 08 type S (seventh gen, late 2008 reg so the last of them) currently that's a fair distance away, is the suspension different to the EX? And importantly, was there really a sh*ttier sound system put into the type-s compared to the EX? I would have thought they were all the same so that's really interesting.

Have looked at the parkers list (if you go to step 1 here, you can select the trim levels) and there's no mention of sound system on there, just CD multichanger.

I'm coming from a written off EX, which had a great sound system.

Old brochures are always a good place to check

Page 29 onwards has the spec differences

Sports suspension was standard on Type S, optional on EX
Stereo system is the more basic one on Type S and it was not possible to upgrade it

It looks like, you could add some of the Type S options (e.g. body kit and gear knob) to the EX model, but not the other way around.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread here rather than start a new one, does anyone know if all of he above applies to a 2 litre Type-S v EX seventh gen?

Looking at an 08 type S (seventh gen, late 2008 reg so the last of them) currently that's a fair distance away, is the suspension different to the EX? And importantly, was there really a sh*ttier sound system put into the type-s compared to the EX? I would have thought they were all the same so that's really interesting.

Have looked at the parkers list (if you go to step 1 here, you can select the trim levels) and there's no mention of sound system on there, just CD multichanger.

I'm coming from a written off EX, which had a great sound system.

I'm also looking at a 2.4 type s but sacrificing,
-a sunroof
-auto dim rear view mirror
-auto lights
-auto wipers
-electric seats (not sure if type s comes with heated seats as well)
-potentially the premium sound system which sounds really good

all for a body kit seems like a bad trade-off to me. Did you figure out if the type s can come with premium audio?

I'm also looking at a 2.4 type s but sacrificing,
-a sunroof
-auto dim rear view mirror
-auto lights
-auto wipers
-electric seats (not sure if type s comes with heated seats as well)
-potentially the premium sound system which sounds really good

all for a body kit seems like a bad trade-off to me. Did you figure out if the type s can come with premium audio?

Going by the brochure linked above, at least for the 2006 model the Type S can only come with the standard audio system. Not to say that it's impossible that someone had a custom order with those bits added or retrofitted it (probably a huge job), but I would say it's unlikely.

Old brochures are always a good place to check

Page 29 onwards has the spec differences

Sports suspension was standard on Type S, optional on EX
Stereo system is the more basic one on Type S and it was not possible to upgrade it

It looks like, you could add some of the Type S options (e.g. body kit and gear knob) to the EX model, but not the other way around.
Nice one. Love that brochure!

Pity on the sound system, guess it's probably ok though. Odd decision by Honda not to even offer the premium sound as an option in the Type S, given sporty suspension loving people might also like to play their music loud...

I had also been thinking of sourcing power seats if I did buy the Type-S and changing them, but judging by the fact that power seats weren't even optional on thetype S, i'm guessing the harness/loom won't be right to accomodate it.

See that trip computer on the dash ? Can be seen on page 17. I've always wanted one of those (seems like the UK 2008's and all of the 2.4s had them, and late diesels), just think it rounds off the dash perfectly on these cars. I wonder would a retrofit be possible with one of them, sourcing one from a breakers and taking that panel off and hooking it up. The one i'm looking at (which is a late 2008 7th gen 2 litre) disappointingly doesn't have one.