What's new

Varying Clutch Bite Point

Ronkey

Reaction score
Car
2014 Accord Type S
Hi All

I bought a 2014 Type S tourer about 3 months ago and am a big fan. The only thing spoiling the drive is varying clutch bite point which makes moving off tricky.

I know that the car was standing for about a year before I bought it and I did notice on the test drive that the bite was very low. Once home, and after much swearing, I managed to bend a spanner to the right shape to undo the locknut on the clutch master push rod. I then set the pedal height to bring the bite point higher and get the right amount of free travel. Following this the bite point starting moving up and down so I tried refreshing the fluid which I thought had solved it. Nope - this afternoon the clutch pedal became rock solid and the clutch would slip under load. I have adjusted the pedal again and all seems fine.

There is no clutch slip (other than today) or strange vibrations. My guess is that the slave cylinder is sticking but has anyone else experienced this/got any better ideas? Also, are refurb kits available for the clutch master and slave cylinders?

Thanks

An update it case it is of use to anyone. Since adjusting the clutch again all seems well. I am now convinced that the problem was/is the master cylinder (I spotted the other forum post on the same subject just after writing mine - d'oh) and there looks to be a honda kit which provides the master cylinder push rod and piston only. The part number is 46926-TA0-A02. The 2 at the end suggests a modification of the original. This is what I will try if the issue returns.