What's new

Water in boot

Mike c

Members
Reaction score
Car
CR V 2.0 EX
Hi guys, I have searched the forums for a problem of water in the boot of the 8th gen accord. I found some bits on the subject for earlier models but there didn't appear to a final resolution. I was cleaning my car today and was horrified to find water in my boot . It was about an inch deep. Bearing in mind I hadn't at that point in time hosed the car off so it must have been there for some time. I remember when I purchased the car I noticed a small amount of water in the bottom of the boot but when asked the dealer said it was the result of them cleaning out the boot.
Has any other 8th gen owner experienced this problem? I will monitor the situation and if it reappears will be visiting my local dealer again.

Mine is ok but will keep a look out.Is the car still under warranty if so take it back.
The only thing i can think is the drain holes are blocked somewhere and will need to be looked into.
Or the rubber seal around the boot lid has perished.

The car is still under warranty . There are two rubber bungs in the lower part of the boot so I have drilled two tiny holes in them to help drain any excess that gets in there . They are not right at the bottom of the wheel well so if any water gets in a small amount will still remain. enough to go back to Honda with.
I haven't had a car with a leak for around 25 years I thought this type of problem was history.

Most likely a fracture rubber rib or loose rubber trim because as Brett says, mine too is completely dry (and ironic since I washed mine as well today).

I would take it back with the water ingress for the dealer to see and demand nothing less that they replace the entire rubber surround for the boot.

I'll have a look at lunchtime tomorrow to see if there is any water about. It has given out rain for tomorrow so it should be a good test. As soon as there is water in evidence I will take it back to Honda.

Cheers

not heard anything about 8th gen probs...however,7th gen did have a sort of design flaw.the sparewheel well tended to get water in it(believe it or not,mainly with golfers cars in my experience!honest)...the reason,the boot was open more in poor weather!if the boot lid is opened when there is water lying on it,the water dripped onto the plastic covers around the hinges and dripped straight down behind the carpeted side panels and into the sparewheel area....dont know if this is of any help whatsoever.

Thanks for the info. I am not a golfer which is obviously not a handicap ( sorry) but the scenario sounds interesting. I have checked my boot over the last week and no water ingress is showing. This is despite me washing the car on Sunday and some heavy downpours and driving rain over the last few days. I will check it again over the weekend, hopefully it will remain dry. I spoke to my dealer earlier in the week and mentioned the situation. He said that if the problem does exist to take the car on for inspection . We will see!
All the best Mike c

Thanks for the info. I am not a golfer which is obviously not a handicap ( sorry) but the scenario sounds interesting. I have checked my boot over the last week and no water ingress is showing. This is despite me washing the car on Sunday and some heavy downpours and driving rain over the last few days. I will check it again over the weekend, hopefully it will remain dry. I spoke to my dealer earlier in the week and mentioned the situation. He said that if the problem does exist to take the car on for inspection . We will see!
All the best Mike c

next time you open the boot when the lid is wet,just have a nosey and see where the water drips onto.could answer your question mike.

Having tried to locate the source of the leak using a number of the members suggestions I have still to resolve the problem. At one point I thought the problem had disappeared as no water ingress took place for a few weeks , despite torrential rain and many car washes. But last Sunday before washing the car a check revealed around an inch of water in the wheel well. I thoroughly dried the area and sprinkled ant powder all around the well ( I didn't have any talcum powder) and left it a couple of days before checking it again. About 1/2 inch of water was on the well. The uppermost part of the well had no powder left and so must have been washed away. This tells me that it must be coming in from around the lights or somewhere at a similar height.
It is booked into J T Hughes on Monday who are going to investigate and hopefully resolve the problem.

The car went into the dealer on Monday and they kept it until Tuesday lunch time. They say that a bung had become dislodged which was the source of the leak. They replaced this bung and have checked it for ingress. They had all the boot trim out ( broke a few plastic buttons in the process ) and think they have resolved the problem. Only time and a few showers will tell. They have ordered the replacement buttons and will refit these when they arrive.
All the best mike c