What's new

Where do you get your detailing kit from?

Gav

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jaguar XF 3.0D PL
Guys after getting my car professionally valeted last week, I wan't to start to look after my car and especially get rid of my swirl marks.
I know there are loads of views on how to clean/detail a car but as I'm a complete novice I'll start simple.

So I want to buy;
the mildest clay I can get.
might buy some scratchX - I don't have a polisher so will be doing this by hand..:-(
some snow foam - that doesn't strip wax/sealants
some sealant.
wheel cleaner probably Bilberry
some QD spray
some MF towels

I quite like the dodo range but am willing to 'try best of breed'

What recommendations do you have, and also where do you buy from? Ebay?
Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Gav

For the clay get this, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110569170411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_928

This is what I use and its soft, but importantly it very much works! it has bullet proof reviews also

As for microfibres unless your super super fussy, the 3 pack at asda is good deal, normally they have 2 pack for a £5 which is less than a £1 for each and they good.

Guys after getting my car professionally valeted last week, I wan't to start to look after my car and especially get rid of my swirl marks.
I know there are loads of views on how to clean/detail a car but as I'm a complete novice I'll start simple.

So I want to buy;
might buy some scratchX - I don't have a polisher so will be doing this by hand..:-(
some sealant.
some QD spray
some MF towels

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Gav

I tend to buy from a few different places depending on whose products they stock a small example would be :-

i4detailing
polishedbliss
ultimatefinish
valetpro direct

With regards to your list of wants, Ive put what Im using at the moment which im happy with.

Clay = Bilthamber soft clay, it can be used with water a lube but I find I get better results using a qd like dodojuice born slippy
Correction = havent got into this much but as a polish I use dodo juice lime prime, next year Im planning to research this alot more.
Sealant = currently using up my poorboys but will be looking for something different next.
Wax = tried lots last I used was Collinite 476 as I wanted something ultra durable with the winter coming up
Snow foam = any PH neutral one I can get currently using the ultimate snow foam but also used Bilthamber as well
Wash = dodo juice sour power
Wheels = bilberry safe and poorboys wheel sealant
QD = Megs but just bought some dodo red mist tropical
Interior = just used up my poorboys natural look dressing so bought some Werkstat Satin Pro
Leather = LTT Auto Ultra Maintain

Got loads of towls best drying towl Ive used is the polished bliss one for polishing I really like the dodo juice dodo belly fur ones very soft but Ive used some generic ones with the same results.

Ive found reading the articles on detailingworld very helpful.

HTH

Andy

Gav I tend to just use Ebay. Got a great bargain with some large MF towels recently..

The best way is to decide which product you want and then just buy it from the bay..

thanks guys and lol special thanks to you Andy!
You've got tooooo much time on your hands....bet your car looks showroom though :(
So many questions....

Marcus -> that clay states it's for frequent use and they recommend getting the standard clay if you've never clayed B4. That where I'm at so might plump for standard.
I take it you use it regularly? might get this when my original clay runs out.....
Re MF wash mits etc is it worth going for a wookies hand, lambs wool etc or is that just overkill for a beginner?

anyone had experience hand polishing out swirl marks/scratches on theirs? esp black?

Andy->Using up your PB's. Trying something different next- why is this? just fancy a change to compare?
Is that wax hard to apply? I'm worried about hologramming etc
Do you use a sealant AND a wax?
Speaking to the valet-er I quized him on the difference between sealer and wax and he said sealant is a synthetic wax and a wax is made from mostly natural products? so is essence use one or t'other?
QD I notice the tropical stuff is for hotter climates - did you find the red mist dried to quickly?

Andy->HTH
it certainly does mate, many thanks :)

Do peeps use a wax AND sealer as a belts and braces approach?

Gav I tend to just use Ebay. Got a great bargain with some large MF towels recently..

The best way is to decide which product you want and then just buy it from the bay..
cool thanks fads, it's just deciding WHAT to buy lol....

I think Dodo is a good start mate, you can't go wrong with their products and they are very easy to use.

Go for a lambs wool mitt they are great and not expensive. Dont forget to use the two bucket method as you dont want to great any more swirls do you.

The poorboys is not bad good infact and easier to use than auto balm, but tbh I just like to try different products so I can try and find the best.

About two years ago I read up on the benefits of laying a base of sealant then a couple of top coat of wax. I tried and it really works for me, I think it works well with pearl paint and midtoned like my green.

The reason I got the tropical stuff was having spoken to the dodo chaps they said it has less solvent which is better for wax to coats. They did say tho there isnt much init but tropical is also alot easier to use in the summer as it allows a longer working time. Funny thing is it will probably be all gone by next summer :(

have a look here PB recommend both sealant and wax http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/choosing-paint-protection.html

Here are some great guides for each process http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/seek-advice.html

Oh and my car isnt perfect mate at all, the front end looks the pits after my main drive to leominster they decided to put stone chipping down for 10miles :)

I've used cleanyourcar as well but I'm finding their postage costs ridiculous. I'll be using ebay and possibly performancemotorcare (which also has free delivery even over to here).

Did your valet not get rid of the swirl marks? If they're bad then its prob best to get them removed with a machine, doing by hand will take for ever. Meguiars do a swirl remover that I think has a bit more cut in it than scratch x, although the scratchx is fine.

You have to be careful what order you put the sealant and wax on don't you?

I've used cleanyourcar as well but I'm finding their postage costs ridiculous. I'll be using ebay and possibly performancemotorcare (which also has free delivery even over to here).

Did your valet not get rid of the swirl marks?
no it wasn't for paint correction just a full valet offer.

If they're bad then its prob best to get them removed with a machine, doing by hand will take for ever.

Yes I appreciate this even considering buying a machine but then thinking once it's done I shouldn't need it again.
Might have a go by hand at first then if no good get it done professionally.

Meguiars do a swirl remover that I think has a bit more cut in it than scratch x, although the scratchx is fine.
Yeah been looking into this plus 3M products etc.Meguiars do swirlX AND scratchX 2 now so many choices...

You have to be careful what order you put the sealant and wax on don't you?
Eh, not sure I'm a detailing virgin ! but from what little I've read and from Andy's experience it seems sealant first then wax....

Thanks to all who've replied

Gav, may I ask where did you get your car valted from? how much did it cost and do you have any pics please? thanks

Gav, may I ask where did you get your car valted from? how much did it cost and do you have any pics please? thanks
of course you can mate.
It was done by http://privilegedetail.com/
although the website looks very professional it's only a one man outfit (ATM)
It cost £20 - a deal from mycitydeal.com normally cost from £40

Included snow foam
washed 2bucket (obv)
alloy wheel cleaned
inside glass cleaned
hoovered
dash polished/cleaned
tyres dressed
QD spray
Don't have any pics mate, but TBH it didn't look any different to when I 2Bucket wash it. Only difference was I didn't have any wax/sealer on car so now it beads like something that's very beady....

Firstly, Amen to the 2 bucket method does work!

Secondly Ive heard good things about lambs wool. However I use Asda microfibre cloths and I dont get swirls or holograms even in direct sunlight, so I cant see why I would need to go any further on the other stuff.

Thirdly, Though most on here may not want to say this, detailing your car is an obsession that creeps up on you. After you have properly detailed your car you can keep you car in very good condition without doing too much, you can spend all day adding chemicals and products here and there, but there will be only a small increase in shine and protection. You have to workout how much time you want to spend. Just my opinion

Firstly, Amen to the 2 bucket method does work!

Secondly Ive heard good things about lambs wool. However I use Asda microfibre cloths and I dont get swirls or holograms even in direct sunlight, so I cant see why I would need to go any further on the other stuff.

Thirdly, Though most on here may not want to say this, detailing your car is an obsession that creeps up on you. After you have properly detailed your car you can keep you car in very good condition without doing too much, you can spend all day adding chemicals and products here and there, but there will be only a small increase in shine and protection. You have to workout how much time you want to spend. Just my opinion

Try calling Jez Gilman at www.theultimatefinish.co.uk for expert advice and an excellent service, I'm hoping he will be doing a machine polishing event for members very soon!!

Regards

Simon

So I want to buy;
some sealant.
some QD spray
some MF towels

Any help appreciated.
Cheers
Gav

Hi Gav

I've used the Meguires clay detailing kit from Halfords on my 53 plate Accord Type S. I was sceptical to start with BUT IT REALLY DOES remove all the contamination from your paint! I use AUTOGLYM car products - shampoo / tar remover / bodywork polish etc. Make sure you thoroughly clean the car and get all the tar spots & bugs off first. Once dry follow the instructions of the clay kit - word of warning - do not attempt to use the clay bar & lubricant in direct sunlight. You really need an overcast day an cool temps so you don't damage the paint finish. It will bring the paint finish to a very smooth finish. Add a layer of polish afterwards and your car will look great! I've also found that that pure cotton vests cut up are just the ticket for car polishing :ph34r:

Simon