What's new

Engine Cover Nut has driven me Nuts!

Tiberious SG

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Reg CDTI 2.2
OK So finely a dry day here in the North-West and on a Saturday too, Time to do some work on the Accord. I know i'LL start easy and do that Coolant change I've been meaning to do.

Should be easy as after air and filter changes its pretty much the quickest and easiest job on my list.

So following the ever handy DI Y's on TA, parts from HH at the ready and fresh brew prepared, I put the Accord up on the Ramps and started.
(I should mention I'm an IT Engineer so soldering irons crimping tools and electronics are not an issue but only been playing with cars since 2010)

Step 1 remove engine cover to allow access to bleeder valve. @#$£$%^&%£%$£%^£% !!!!!!!!!

Okay so first Nut on engine cover will not come off its turning but not going any where. No matter I'll get the others off and get everything else ready and get back to it.

All other nuts have come off no issue, so I returned to the offending item and spent a good two hours using every tool and technique I can think off, but its still stares at me in defiance.

Frustration finally got the better of me when I accidentally cracked the plastic rocker cover (that's not going to be cheap!).

So after three and a half hours I have given in planning on chilling out and doing some research before I try again or worse still admit defeat and get my mechanic involved.

Any ideas are welcome as I am still a a relative novice and today was a painful reminder of this. :eek:

The dome nut you mean? Is it spinning and not coming off, or is it stuck solid? I don't remember there being a trick to it, but I'll have a look at mine if you tell me which the offending one is!

The dome nut you mean? Is it spinning and not coming off, or is it stuck solid? I don't remember there being a trick to it, but I'll have a look at mine if you tell me which the offending one is!

Yes the Dome nut, the front passenger dome nut closest to passenger headlamp.

One of the four nuts placed atop a plastic washer and rubber grommet securing the Black plastic engine cover marked CDTI.

The nut is turning/spinning and not coming off, My brother believes there is a possibility that the hexagonal nut further down is actually turning not the nut but I did not confirm this.

I can now turn the offending dome nut with my fingers but as the thread must be damaged its going nowhere. I have tried to apply leverage but with no success (and now damaged engine cover).

This one then?

CoverOn.jpg

I've just whipped the cover off mine. As I thought, no trick to it!

I see your problem. If it's spinning there's no easy way of getting underneath to stop it and get some purchase on the nut.

It's not much help I know, but all I can offer is a picture of what the dome nut fastens to under the cover.

CoverOff.jpg

Do you think this is spinning too, or just the nut on top. You might get a finger under the front lip and feel if it's turning?

If you have the tools and a steady hand you could grind the dome nut flat and then attempt to drill the stud out the middle, remove the nut and replace the post entirely (p/no 90051RBDE01).

Unless another member has a better idea, I'd say carefully cut the engine cover, making as least mess as possible and then make good as best you can. You might pick a 2nd hand cover if it is beyond repair. Full price for a new one (p/no 32121RBDE01) is around (an eye watering) £350 quid.

Good luck!

EDIT: Passenger side!? Please wait...

Take 2:

Different pictures, but same advice...

10forya.jpg

and

2ecnmdc.jpg

Take 2:

Different pictures, but same advice...

That is the one cheers Matt, appreciate the effort mate.

I think I'm going to be forced to cut the damaged Engine cover away, so will hold off until I get a replacement found a few on flea-bay around 50 - 69 pounds delivered.

Will also speak to my mechanic, as my Rovers going in for an MOT this week so will see if I can get him to have a look. Don't like the Idea of cutting the cover off without a replacement so will hold off for now. (I do 90+ miles a day so don't want to risk it for a week without.)

Ooops I've just spotted I've posted this in the 8th Gen rather than the 7th Gen section.

Sorry.

Hello mate,

I have experience the exact similar situation today when i was about to do the coolant change an the first dome nut on the area where the bleed nut is located is not coming off and keep on rotating..

What a fate.... ! Now i didn't try to take the cover off by force so i am thinking to check if the screw from the base is also rotating....

Did you find the solution after all? Please share how you resolved it... Your help will be highly appreciated...

I think this happened on my car (2.4) a few years ago, and I just kept turning it until the pillar unscrewed, then you can get the cover off, take the nut off the pillar, and put the pillar back a bit more tightly

I would tighten it up a little more than you should, then try and loosen again. Give it a few taps with a hammer when tight.

If unscrewed itself from the engine, and all the others are clear would it not be possible to grab it with a mole grip and then lift the cover whilst pulling the stud up? just a thought.