What's new

Coolant type and Water

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
Hi,

I need to top up my coolant, so bought some stuff from eurocarparts but the Honda manual says to use only Honda approved, is this just the way for them to bring in some monies or do the Honda antifreeze have properties that are needed by the engine? Also would it be okay to mix it with tap or bottled water?

Cheers

The Honda stuff is ready to use -no dilution required. What ever you put in needs to be aluminium safe. Not sure if there's any issue with mixing types though...

Also the Genuine Honda coolant has a life span of 7 years from memory before it needs changing.
The stuff you buy in shops has only 3 years so its worth spending the extra i think.

Or other 5 years then 3 years for a 7th gen diesel...

34ila2f.jpg

Just checked the maintenance schedule for mine (6th gen 1.8) and it's the same, 5 years for factory filled coolant, and then 3 years ;)

I personally change my coolant once before the summer, and then once again when it starts getting colder...but then i'm a little funny about my car.

Anything that is Honda approved should be fine mate. If you need anymore, then try Holdcroft Honda mate. They'll be able to sort you out with some official stuff that will not be too expensive.

Over here in Ireland the Honda one was actually cheaper then the stuff from Halfords. Strange turn of events I know but always go with Honda if you can. If I am not mistaken the only fluid you MUST replace with Honda fluid is the power steering one as it is not ATF like most manufactures use. Am I correct on this?

Thanks for the replies and info, I'm gonna use the one I've already bought but will probably use Honda stuff in the future if the price difference ain't huge and its better quality.

How important is it to have a 50/50 mix? Im think of just pouring it in and guessing the 50/50. I know its not best practice but quicker and easier and my Dad does the same and doesnt seem to have any problems.

IS the coolant you've got not ready made then? If not, then as usual it's always best to follow the manufacturers guidelines dude.

^ Ah it is ready made, its made by comma, so not really high end stuff, not sure if its suitable as it says nothing about alumimium engines and only lasts 2 years, but think it should be okay for an old car.

It's up to you whether or not you use it dude, but if these F series engines are looked after they will keep on going forever.

You should consider 2 things.
1º - Check that it's based on Ethylene Glycol, if so, it's not too bad.
2º - Check the "freezing" temperature. The lowest, the better.

The 2º point is very important as it indicates the amount of antifreeze. Not only will freeze at lowers temperatures, but it also has more anti-oxidant properties, since the Ethylene Glycol is an anti-oxidant. On the other hand, anti-freeze is not very good on transferring heat, so you can not use too much.

The ideal mix is 50% antifreeze and 50%water. This will give a freezing temperature of -34º, which is what you want to find in your anti-freeze. If it had a higher temperature(-20 or -10) I would not use it, as it will less anti-oxidant properties.

Something to read about this stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol