What's new

exhaust baffles gone, will it fail mot

dewiwayne

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen 1.8 VTEC SE
Hey Guys, Not been on for a while but that dreaded time of year again MOT

My exhaust sounds like it is blowing took it to a Nationwide Garage and they stated the exhaust is not blowing but the baffles in the exhaust are shot. he said that the exhaust looks in ok state but will need replacing in time.

My Question is do i change exhaust now or will it pass the MOT now and will it wait a few months for when i have the money to replace (insurance tax and MOT in the same month :( )

The baffles not being there should not increase the amount of CO2 your car puts out, so you should be find for the MOT dude. Usually when the baffles in an exhaust go the car will sound like it's blowing, but the volume of the exhaust will be a lot louder too.

Let us all know how you get on with the MOT mate.

I had a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 and when using the nitrous it destroyed the baffles blowing them out the back. It increased the volume but I never had a problem with MOTs. After the Hyundai I got a 3 series BMW & the exhaust went from manifold to cat to straight pipe with no middle boxes or back box at all which made it VERY noticeable but again no issues with getting it MOT'd. Now with the Honda it runs from manifold to cat to back box and I'm stunned how quiet it is without any middle boxes and just the Scorpion rear box. If you are concerned about it swapping back box is an easy job

MOT Failed

Reasons for Refusal

001 Front (x2 ns os Headlamp aim beam image obviously incorrect (1 lens has moisture on lens and one not positioned correctly)

002 Offside rear brake pipe excessively corroded

003 Offside rear Anti-roll bar has excessive play in ball joint

Advisories

004 Offside front Track Rod End Ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt

005 Nearside rear brake pipe slightly corroded

so looks like i got some work to do for this

At least the baffles wasnt a problem

At least the baffles wasnt a problem
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good to see you haven't lost your sense of humour.

Most of the stuff on your list won't be a problem to fix, and shouldn't cost too much money.

The only thing that might, will be your ball joints. The garage will tell you the you have to replace the whole arm, but you don't. Get some joints from a scrappy or breakers, and the old ones will push out and the new ones will push in.

001 - Moisture can be sorted by putting some of that stuff that comes in packaging, Silica Gel in the light and that should get rid of the moisture.

002 - Yup, this will need replacing, but the car is 10 years old, so a little wear and tear.

003 - Ball joint, already explained.

004 - Ball joint cover. Easy half hour fix

005 - Again brake pipe, so wear and tear.

But considering the age of the car, that seems like a great result. What milage is the car on?

003 anti roll bar drop link £18.40 eurocarparts. I have to get one too

Dave the ball joint is different to the drop links mate. If it's only the links that have failed, as so often do, then they are usually pretty cheap to replace, but the ball joints are trickier. I had a failed drop link for my MOT this year. Was the only thing wrong mind, but still an annoyance.

how much brake pipe is needed to replace from front to back both sides?

i can get 25 ft for 14.20

4 droplinks front and back for 18.95 (tester said it was link )

both off flea bay

just under 150000 miles