What's new

Accord handbrake adjustment

Monks

Admin / Co-Founder
Reaction score
Car
-
Seeing as this question was asked recently I’ve posted a DIY I did a while ago.

You will need a Philips screwdriver and more importantly some socket extensions and a deep 12mm socket piece. It doesn’t matter if you’re using ¼ or 3/8th drive as long as you have at least a 10inch extension and a deep 12mm socket you will be okay. I personally went ¼ drive as it gives you a bit more space to see what you’re doing.

Move seats forward as you need access to two screws on the side of the armrest
DSC00864.jpg

Undo these two screws either side of the arm rest console.
ARMREST1.jpg

Remove armrest by removing these two screws
ARMREST2.jpg

ARMREST3.jpg

ARMREST4.jpg

ARMREST5.jpg

Refitting is reversal of removal as they say.

Nice writeup. Same question as Paul?

I'm ***uming it is as the 6th gen saloon is adjusted like that

Great write up Andy you beet me to it as said above is it the same for the saloon.

Again good write up Monks, are we looking to adjust it so that it has about 3-4 clicks?

Excellent quality write up fella B) I suspect it will be the same for both Saloon and tourer, although on the tourer you have drums for the handbrake... essentially it's the same cable operated mechanism.

Again good write up Monks, are we looking to adjust it so that it has about 3-4 clicks?
I think Nick the handbrake is 4 clicks for the mot.

Thanks guys yes its the same for saloon and tourer guys, IIRC I adjusted mine for 3 clicks but it needs adjusting again now so will have to the tools out again :eek:

As far as mot is concerned I think its tested for efficiency not by clicks but could be wrong B) anyhow my recommendation is never trust a hand brake and always leave your car in gear.

I think Nick the handbrake is 4 clicks for the mot.
Cheers, think mine is about 4 or 5 at the mo. Should be ok for a while.

the handbrake is judged by its efficancy and whether the rear wheels lock or not. the mot tester may give an advisory for excessive travel but so long as it works clicks do not come into it. i regret i caunt remember what the honda spec is but 3 - 6 clicks is about where you want to be with a handbrake. the rear brakes should be free of drag with the handbrake off (this is tested during the mot). the brakes should just begin to drag at the first click. basicly get it as tight as possible without the brakes dragging. simples

Thanks guys yes its the same for saloon and tourer guys, IIRC I adjusted mine for 3 clicks but it needs adjusting again now so will have to the tools out again ;)

As far as mot is concerned I think its tested for efficiency not by clicks but could be wrong ;) anyhow my recommendation is never trust a hand brake and always leave your car in gear.
not sure what its like on a Honda (not had a tourer one to bits) but are the hand brake shoes adjustable? on most cars with this set up you should back the handbrake cable adjuster off then adjust shoes up so they just drag when you turn the wheel then adjust the cable up

Excellent write up! Thanks!! :)

Great write up Andy. Out of interest, do you do the adjustment with the handbrake up, or with it down & in gear? I noticed that in the first picture that your handbrake is up, but wanted to double check before I attempt this one.

:rolleyes:

In gear with hand brake down mate then test to check adjustment,

Thanks chaps :wub:

Having checked the Honda specs for correct hand brake adjustments it would apear they state 8-10 clicks when lever pulled with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbs) of force. How your supposed to test that who knows but 8-10 clicks is too many clicks and would set the lever too high for my preference.

Fish scale mate?

is that at the end of the lever, half way along or near the begining... or on the cable itself?? :( :) :lol: As long as it doesnt fail and MOT, roll away in the night or have to be pulled into the backseat to work Im happy :D

Nesh your easily pleased, myself I like it work just right :(

Fish scales ummm got some of those from my carp days, but Im yet to reach such an **** level with Accord.

Bet CJ has Honda branded ones that look like ***imo.

Even more worryingly is that I wouldn't be surprised :(:D

Nesh your easily pleased, myself I like it work just right :( Fish scales ummm got some of those from my carp days, but Im yet to reach such an **** level with Accord.
Thats not what the missus says :) :lol: :D

Nice guide, although I found it easier to access the nut by removing the entire centre console (I have fat fingers :lol: )

Without your guide I wouldn't of attempted it. Thanks :D

hi i am new to this but here goes

i have tightened up the cable so hand brake only lifts 3 clicks but still hanbrake does not work. went under car when hand brake applied cable pulls but lever does not move any surgesstions??

cheers stephen

Welcome to TA Stephen. Is yours a tourer or saloon? The tourer has a drum brake on the rear, behind the disc and uses that as for the handbrake, separate from the disc brake for driving. The saloon however uses the disc brake if I'm not mistaken. If it's a saloon, what state are your pads/discs in?

I've used this today. Now down to 4 clicks. Haven't tested the efficiency of the handbrake itself yet but it feels better than yanking the handbrake up 10 clicks.

Ps, if you're thinking of doing this, it's really easy. Even I could do it!