What's new

Service Schedule

rupertbear

Reaction score
Car
2001 2.0i VTEC
Hi, I'm looking at the possible purchase of a 2004 Accord 2.0 I-VTEC Tourer, 102K miles. So far, the only problem is a lack of service history for the past few years. The dealer says that the previous owner had it serviced annually at MOT time but didn't keep the paperwork.

Can anyone point me to the service schedule for this model, so that I can see what might have been missed?

I gather that this engine has a chain rather than a timing belt, when should this be changed? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks

Hey fella.

What sort of budget do you have for the car? The petrol accords can be found cheaply now. Surely you could find an example with less miles on it too.

I won't post any info about service schedules as inonly know the real basics about the 7th gen. But someone will come along shortly who'll be able to give you the exact intervals etc.

Good luck on your hunt dude.

Chain is for the life of the engine ..

Hi, I'm looking at the possible purchase of a 2004 Accord 2.0 I-VTEC Tourer, 102K miles. So far, the only problem is a lack of service history for the past few years. The dealer says that the previous owner had it serviced annually at MOT time but didn't keep the paperwork.

Can anyone point me to the service schedule for this model, so that I can see what might have been missed?

I gather that this engine has a chain rather than a timing belt, when should this be changed? Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks

rupertbear Welcome your best bet is go to your local dealers and ask them for a service sheet for your car.
Is the schedule not in your service book anyway.

just the normal stuff eg if oil changes have been missed its bad news for the engine

check the oil on the end of the dipstick

plenty about so if youre not happy walk away and buy a different one

Also the grade/type of oil used on the changes is important.

id get a one with less miles and a history man.

the uk is awash with cars, theres no reason to get one without a history.

I'd agree, I think the 2.0 on a tourer will be sluggish and the engine will likely have to work harder, meaning the 2.4 could actually be more economic. That said, the 2.4 is probably a higher tax and insurance band, so it's swings and roundabouts.

As for the paperwork, it's not ideal. You always wanna get hold of paperwork if possible. I had service stamps (but not on every interval as it should have been) and there was no paperwork other than the last MOT. All manner of little gremlins reared their head and I spent a lot of money putting silly little things right. But now the car's great and I wouldn't have anything else (within my budget anyway ;) ). But obviously, you want some peace of mind and/or backup in paperwork should there be any issues to go back to the dealer with.

But what you wanna check for with the tourer though, and this is where you need the paperwork, is the tail gate. It's motorised and all the early models fail. That's no exaggeration, they all fail due to an inadequate motor. It's honoured with a 7 year warranty which is nice, as it's well over a £1K to put right otherwise. As yours is out of warranty, you wanna know the boot motor has been replaced or else you could end up having all sorts of issues with the boot no being able to open and stuff.

Thanks to all for the replies. I am indeed on a very limited budget, the car I mentioned has £2995 on the windscreen, which is more than I intended to spend. Whatever I end up with must be an estate with leather and a sunroof. A petrol Accord Tourer with these features and significantly lower mileage would cost a good deal more.

Timing chain - do many fail?

Electric rear hatch - are they usable manually when the motor fails? How much for a motor?

After seven consecutive Hondas it looks like I might end up buying something else this time. Mind you, it was Honda number six (Accord diesel Tourer) which nearly bankrupted me and left me in this position!