What's new

Engine Oil Conditioner

Tiberious SG

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Reg CDTI 2.2
Ok just a quick query, I change my Diesel 7th gen oil using the correct lubetech 0w30 oil every 5-6 k and use genuine filters.

but was wondering about this product:

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/228/diesel-oil-conditioner

Is it a good idea or just an unnecessary addition to my maintenance regime. I'm hoping to squeeze a good five to six years out of my car so I have adopted a stringent maintenance regime and so far so good.

My i-cdti has 126k on her and had new chain and injectors at 90k and so far shes been good to me and i hope to keep it this way.

but I cannot decide if adding this product during my oil changes is a good idea or not so your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm kind of leaning towards it being a unnecessary expense as regular changes should be preventative enough and any improvements or gains would be very difficult to prove, but maybe someone on the forum has tried this already.

Never tried it myself but with changing your oil every 5-6k I can't see you suffering from any of the problems this additive might help prevent.

Never tried it myself but with changing your oil every 5-6k I can't see you suffering from any of the problems this additive might help prevent.

Yes that was my thinking. if i need to burn more money on oil changes its probably better to do them even more frequently than using the additive however I think I'll stick with my current regime.

I did look into using their engine flush products but it seems very costly and potentially dangerous as you need to run a couple of oil changes through after the flush.

Oil is sacred to me.
Just like my blood, I wouldn't mix it with any other thing.
wink.gif

Don't bother with an oil additive, just use decent 0w30 oil and change it at least as often as recommended by Honda - this has done me well for over 4 years/60k miles (141k miles total). Maybe change it more regularly if you often drive hard. You shouldn't really need to flush ... and I'd always worry about the bit left behind afterwards.

btw, I was surprised at how quickly the new oil went a very dirty black just after I first changed it.

btw, I was surprised at how quickly the new oil went a very dirty black just after I first changed it.

I thought exactly the same after My first oil change as I had not owned a diesel before, it seems to be normal, perhaps due to higher pressure on diesels, but it did motivate my decision to change the oil more frequently to avoid as much black sludge wear issues as possible.

In a diesel engine the oil does go black quickly. It's a totally different thing from black sludge. Stick to your oil change regime and you'll be fine.

Alan

Personally I would avoid all oil additives. The more oil changes you do, the better it is for the engine. The way I do it is leave the oil to drain overnight, then refil the next morning. That way you get almost every last drop of the old black dirty oil out.

Changing @ 5<>6K is plenty cautious enough, I wouldn't bother doing anything further than this.

I change @ 10K which equates to twice a year. As well as oil , I always do the fuel & air filter each time too.

I cringe when I see ebay sellers bragging about service history on cars an they list 15K plus service gaps over ..like 3yrs ( i.e. no oil change in 3yrs )

I wouldn't touch a car unless I could prove it at least had one oil change per annum.

^^^Spot on! :D :D

do engine flushes do any good, ?

I want to change my own oil, but need to buy tools first and move into a place that allows said DIY jobs.

do engine flushes do any good, ?

I want to change my own oil, but need to buy tools first and move into a place that allows said DIY jobs.
I believe that engine flushes do more harm than good. But others may think differently? I guess it depends on what state your engine's in, but I would advise against it as a routine thing.

You wouldn't need many tools and you could do it pretty much anywhere level... JFDI :)

i will give it a miss, after reading abit more.

my engine is good. doesnt burn oil and is on about 110k or so.

The quality of modern additive technology in oils these days means expensive extra additives are not needed, a high spec oil will give you all the protection you need