What's new

Clutch info again

Dave_G

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Tourer EX CTDi
My Accord needs a clutch which I knew when I bought it, mileage is currently on 120k. I have a friend who is a mechanic with his own business that's going to fit a new one for me.

I'm just trying to weigh up my price options. New luk clutches can be had for around £140 but not sure if they are the 325 version.
Paddle one is £300ish

Have many people got away with changing the clutch without the flywheel? If it wasn't for the fact that we are taking it to the south of France next month I would probably leave it for now. It only slips slightly in 3rd 4th and 5th when driving hard and no bad noises from the flywheel.

Yes the question about changing the clutch w/o the flywheel is quite interesting. I'd like to know that too!

Guys, I think no one can properly answer that until they're actually looking at the surface of your DMF, as well as checking the movement limits of the internal mechanism. I would like to suggest that in Dave's case, having the clutch slipping noticeably for a while could well have damaged the DMF surface by now. Sorry.

No way of really providing any meaningful guidance until you have removed the gearbox and clutch to inspect flywheel surface and check for movement.
If both are within tolerance then I would just change the clutch

Does anyone know what the tolerance is?
I'm pretty much guessing I will need a new flywheel anyway. The other thing my mechanic said is that most clutches won't be guaranteed unless you change the flywheel at the same time.

Does anyone know what the tolerance is?
I'm pretty much guessing I will need a new flywheel anyway. The other thing my mechanic said is that most clutches won't be guaranteed unless you change the flywheel at the same time.
I suggest that you try searching for DMF in all forums. I just did that, but far too many results for me to wade through! This ***le looks promising... http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/7618-how-to-tell-if-dmf-needs-changing/page__p__85533__hl__dmf__fromsearch__1#entry85533

From memory Honda marked the outside of the flywheel in relation to the bellhousing to create a datum point.
You then turn the DMF to see how much free movement is there, I think that the tolerance is somewhere between 6mm - 25mm, the exact measurments are in a previous post of mine.

There is also a lateral tolerance (wobble test) with a DTI, but in truth if your DMF has that trouble it would be apparent during idling as the DMF is on its last legs.

When my clutch was changed by Honda (South Ruislip) @ 36K my DMF was just at the outer limit, I had experienced no noticeable driving problems.
Fortunately for me Honda paid for the DMF replacement, I paid for the clutch

Tolerance is 6mm-36mm and honestly speaking, whilst there are a few examples, it's very rare that they actually need a new DMF (if your dealer is being honest with you).

If it's only slightly slipping, leave it. It won't break down on you all of a sudden. People live with slipping clutches for months and even a couple of years in some cases.

^^ Point in kind :lol:

I can get the clutch done for a reasonable price and don't mind paying it its just the flywheel that bumps the price up. I just don't fancy paying out only to find the timing chain starts rattling a week later

And it doesn't seem to slip at all until it warms up a bit.
I am taking it to the south of France next month though and don't want it to let go in the middle of my holiday

It won't let go spontaneously mate.

And it doesn't seem to slip at all until it warms up a bit.
I am taking it to the south of France next month though and don't want it to let go in the middle of my holiday
As Fahad said Dave.Your clutch will gradually slip more often but will probably take over 1 year to get bad.So take the car to France and dont worry to much.

Thanks guys, I think I might stick with a service and a couple of new tyres for now