What's new

Leaking Boot

conyoman

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord SE 6th Gen
Now I am confused.

I've checked previous threads on leaking boots, tried all the stuff there. Took it to the garage and they can't find the source of the leak either. Said they'd probably need to strip off the internals to get back to expose the frame.

It's not:

• Light cluster
  • Aerial
  • Boot seal

I've checked all these (as well as 2 garages) and water is not getting in there at all. (aerial and lights have been resealed)

So where the hell is it coming from?

The boot liner is bone dry. The only place water is gathering is in the actual spare wheel well. I have seen the water running down the corners of the spare wheel well....aarrrrgggghhhhh ****** leaks.....

can you clarify, water is collecting at the spare wheel only, the boot lining is not wet anywhere not down the left or right sides. this will help us. thanks ;)

From my experience, it runs down inside the panels and comes out the seams under the boot lining, so the lining doesn't get wet.

can you clarify, water is collecting at the spare wheel only, the boot lining is not wet anywhere not down the left or right sides. this will help us. thanks ;)

Exactly - water is collecting in the spare wheel well. The actual boot lining and surrounding fabric / lining is totally dry.
When I've seen the water running in, it runs in to there from the corners behind the lining. It looks like it's coming from the light cluster, but I and the garage have confirmed that it is not.

It runs in from the corners of the wheel well closest to the bumper (rear of the car) and collect in the wheel well.

I'll try and get some photo's

From my experience, it runs down inside the panels and comes out the seams under the boot lining, so the lining doesn't get wet.

Spot on - it's running down the inside of the panels. Nothing is wet except for the spare wheel!

See if you can read this, not sure if it is a paid membership page - http://www.accordr.org/index.php?/topic/41563-dampness-in-boot/

Actually, i don't think you can unless you pay.

This was my post -

When I looked in the boot, it was coming from a seam along the back panel under the book lock, so there was no obvious way it was getting there.

This is what I found out.

27eff9c6.jpg

1. Water would down the gully here.
2. At this point it was getting over the top of the boot seal
3. Here it ran down and if pulled the boot seal I could see it was damp under the seal.
4. Water then ran along here under the seal until it came to drain hole
5. Water ran down inside the panel, so you can't see it, and the dripped out in the tyre recess along a seal.

The boot seal looked in good nick, but when my lad was in the boot, he could see daylight along the top of the seal at point 2.

Other people have been having trouble with the lights, either behind the light seal, or actually going through the light cluster and underneath.

Another chap has had trouble where it was getting in a seam under the bumper, so it is a bumper off job.

Excellent posts, thanks

I'll check this out tonight......if only it was raining...(did i just say that?)

Part of me is wodering if the rain is being forced in now? I poured a few buckets of water over the car to see if I could locate it, and it didn't come in to the boot.
So now I'm going to have to wait to see if when it rains without driving - does it leak. Or is it only when I drive?

It definately used to be a case of water just pouring in, but the garage sealed the lights and aerial.

I'll go through what you've posted above and report back.

Thanks

when mine leaked I guessed it was filling up in the channels and overflowing into the boot. My car used to get a puddle on the right hand side in a square dip in the boot lining. It was made worse if I parked on a slight down hill pointing forward. I never got to the bottom of this, and would leave a towel in the boot to soak up the drips.

Can you get someone to attack the car with a hosepipe or jetwash while you lie in the boot with a torch?
Putting Talc on suspect areas might help you identify where its getting in too.

Shiny's spot on mate. Good luck.

A quick update -> it p!ssed down earler....absolutely thumped it down.

Checked the boot and it's bone dry. Not a drop in there.

So it looks like its coming in when I drive. Next rainfall I'll test this theory out....

Hmm that's interesting. Could be a blocked drainage channel then?

Talcum powder works best in these situations.

Strip the boot and power talc everywhere. You will then hopefully be able to see where the water is getting in as it will leave a trail line.

If it is coming from seam, you will have to then find how it is getting into the panels, which will be the hard part and talc won't help, other than show where it is coming out the seam.

^^^This. B)

was a solution ever found to this leak?
My boot is filling with water. Seems to be on near side as the cubby hole gets wet but I'm not convinced the water is coming down from anywhere?

2lexec

I too have water in base of boot it only happens when it rains will talculm powder to see where leak is I am suspecting rubber seal.

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

I have not solved my leak, Behind the rear doors is a black panel on the outside of the body, I have not had this off but wonder if water is getting in here and appearing in the wheel well having run down and along the inside if the car.
Have you managed to remove the panels from inside the car so you can see the body of the car. if you have how did you do it?

2lexec

My boot panels are mostly off I believe my water in getting in from rear or under body as when I wash there is no water in boot

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk