What's new

Clutch Issue

mattymashup

Reaction score
Car
Accord 08 TourerEXGT
Hi I have put down a deposit on an 08 new shape accord purchasing from a main Honda dealer. The cars done 73K in 4 years and although serviced by Honda, its had a new clutch fitted in January 2012. Do you guys think this will mean i`ll have clutch slip problems in the future? I have read that they do go and are generally not covered by warranties but as i`m paying a good 10k for the motor I don`t wanna get stung in the future. Anyone had new clutches fitted? how did the car run after? and did it lead to future problems? quick replies welcome i`m due to pick the car up this coming weekend!!!

Matt is this an 8th gen petrol it diesel.

There are not many cases on the 8th gen with clutch issues.
Unlike the 7th gen.

The 8th gen is the latest accord.
It sounds like you ate buying a 2008 8th gen as you say say it's a GT.
Is your diesel engine a IDtec if so its an 8 th gen.

@the OP, you do know that Clutches are a wear item and will need replacement at some point. You seem to think that they should never be replaced?

as for how long they should last it depends a lot on what type of driving you do. My car is still on its original clutch at 191K but my mileage is all motorway in top so I do very few gear changes and most importantly stop/starts. Someone who drives around town all day like taxi's might be lucky to get more than 50K out of a clutch as their useage is much more of a wear and tear style

It all comes down to driving style man. I cooked my clutch within 6 months of owning my Accord because I'd never had such a nice car and absolutely spanked it everywhere. Since then I've mellowed and have no clutch concerns. If it's a diesel, the 7th gen accords are known to get through clutches a little quickly for some people's liking. They have the dual mass flywheel and are rather pricey to replace. As for the 8th gen, I've not heard that many stories of clutch issues. But with a nearly new clutch in and ***uming you don't do silly clutch-burning driving I'm sure you'll be fine.

It is however an indication that the previous owner either thrashed it or had bad clutch control driving habits. But that said, you're in a Honda (notoriously reliable) and buying from a main dealer (warranties and so on) so you can sleep easy at least ;) .

You can get a 7th gen GT but the EX GT is 8th gen so we can ***ume its the new IDTEC.

Brett is right, not many (if any) issues of clutch slip on the 8th gen so I think you're fine mate.

Sorry guys, I'm not buying into: "Honda is a reliable brand, hence you won't have any problems". Having owned a Civic before, I know there can be problems. Granted, it never let me stranded on a motorway, but you expect better from a badge like Honda. Suspension creaking and bad clutch are notorious for Civics. I put 12000 km on my new Accord and I smell a "whiff" of burned clutch when I climb steep slopes. No slippage yet. Will monitor issue closely both on my car and on your posts, thanks.

Also remember the first year of any new model will have issues. The cars that follow the first year of release generally have the issues fixed.
I never buy a car that is one of the first released for that model.

Agree Honda's do a have a bullet proof reputation but they are still a lot better than most and are priced better. Nothing these days is 200% so we have to choose wisely.

As Shabz said ;)

Yes, Hondas are better than Peugeot. There are some things they struggle to get it right. Clutch is one of them. It doesn't matter if it's because cost cutting or just borderline bad engineering. This said, I enjoy my Accord and I would only change it for an Audi A4 (if the German wouldn't be so expensive).