What's new

Misty Headlights

gamble

Members
Reaction score
Car
Toyota
Just bought an '04 Plate Honda Accord Tourer. I'm the third owner, the previous owner bought the car when it was 12 months old.

Just bought the car back home, probably didn't give it a good enough once over because I have noticed both headlights are a bit misty - the driver's side being worse than the left, both with condensation. The day was a bit gloomy when I looked at the car so is something I have missed.

I wanted your advice as to what I can or should do about it? Had a bit of a look on the search and some people spoke to Honda UK, some DIY'd I take it?

I could have a crack at trying to bodge it up but would prefer advice in 2012 what I should do with what seems to be an original fault?

Will take a pic and upload when it stops raining. The drivers side is very badly full of condensation though. ******.

I've discovered my drivers side is starting to suffer with this a little bit now. I'd heard some people put those silica bead packs in their somewhere, but I'd end up with it bouncing around the front of the headlight looking dopey. How much are new units?

Trev is correct but keep the beads in the bag provided.
50g one will be fine there about £5.
The best way is to velcro them to the side of the headlight behind the round plastic cap.
Try to put them in so they don't touch the lamp as well.

If you go on the Honda website and enter your chassis number it will tell you if you still need to have the recall done on yours. Mine needs doing but I haven't had time yet

Thanks for the reply, yep it has told me to go to my local dealer for work on 'Headlight Water Entry Prevention'.

or as I have and just leave the back cover off... no problems here, been like that for 2 years now. I do tend to drive with Lights on most of the time though ( ex Volvo and biker )

I had the recall done but it didn't make much diffrence, but I'd have it done anyway. All they do is fit a couple of extra clips!!

Another option is to remove the headlights and drill a couple of 1mm holes underneath to help ventilation ;)

So would I be right in thinking the problem isn't having moisture constantly make its way in, but get in and not be able to escape? :huh:

Yes, my understanding is the moisture enters through the poor lamp body to lens seal, and cannot escape through this same path

Yes, my understanding is the moisture enters through the poor lamp body to lens seal, and cannot escape through this same path
Well after changing my passenger side dipped beam bulb last spring I noticed the same moisture for a week or two. It has disappeared for the summer, I'm just afraid it will come back again when the weather gets cold over the winter!

Just had the "headlight water entry prevention" recall done, made two mistakes of not really checking out the headlight before and not seeing the work done but just seems to be a couple of clips on each Headlight. Pretty naff.

They wouldn't/didn't clean the dirt left in the headlight enclosures so I am still left with 8 years worth of moisture and condensation. Anyone taken apart these headlights and cleaned them out? Will I be able to disassemble the enclosure? Some cars have sealead headlight housings so am worried this won't be possible :(

How the hell do I upload pics to show you all?? :huh:

To be honest the clips don't work. I split my headlights using a heat gun, a blunt knife and a lot of patience. cleaned the inside of the lens and then reassembled it and re sealed the light with silicone sealant.

The one good use i found for the clips was holding the lens to the cluster while the silicone set.