What's new

Rear washer not working - fix ?

tomblyboo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
Hey guys - the rear wash has stopped working on the rear window of my Tourer - the wiper moves OK and I can hear the motor, but no water comes out of the nozzle. The car is still under an extended official Honda warranty - I'm thinking about a warranty repair but do they have to tear apart the interior to get access to the motor and the tubes ? Is it worth the hassle of them pulling the interior apart ? or is it simple to locate the tubes and the motor ? Have to say I'm a bit disappointed - I have never had this go wrong on any previous Honda or Toyota I have owned - in fact I have never had this go wrong on any of my many previous cars...

Is there any water comin out the nozzle at all? Does it point down or up on the tourer :unsure: poor some near boiling water into the nozzle if it points upwards as sometimes nozzles can clog with shampoo/wax and dirt etc. Or just bring it to the dealer, yeah some trim will have to come off but wouldn't worry too much about it.

It points down and nothing is coming out at all

Is there any water comin out the nozzle at all? Does it point down or up on the tourer :unsure: poor some near boiling water into the nozzle if it points upwards as sometimes nozzles can clog with shampoo/wax and dirt etc. Or just bring it to the dealer, yeah some trim will have to come off but wouldn't worry too much about it.

It points down and nothing is coming out at all
Yeah nozzle is under the centre brake light in the tailgate, and the tube gets to the nozzle via the right hinge. The rear plastic finisher (car body, not tailgate) pulls away quite easily to reveal the lining (car body), but with the plastic finisher removed, not much to see anyway. If the tube is blocked it's more likely to be at the pump, or, where it reaches the nozzle.

To check the pump, the water "tank" is common to the front and rear washers and the headlight washers. The "tank" is down the right side of the car in front of the right front wheel. Listen down there while an ***istant tries the washers.

If it's any use, here is a link to replacement of the taligate struts, I've not checked, but you might see the tube in the pictures.

If you want to get to the nozzle, access is probably the same way as replacing the centre brake light, but I've never had to replace that.

[Where is the pump for the rear washer or does it use the front washer pump?

quote name='freddofrog' timestamp='1346850360' post='130063']
Yeah nozzle is under the centre brake light in the tailgate, and the tube gets to the nozzle via the right hinge. The rear plastic finisher (car body, not tailgate) pulls away quite easily to reveal the lining (car body), but with the plastic finisher removed, not much to see anyway. If the tube is blocked it's more likely to be at the pump, or, where it reaches the nozzle.

To check the pump, the water "tank" is common to the front and rear washers and the headlight washers. The "tank" is down the right side of the car in front of the right front wheel. Listen down there while an ***istant tries the washers.

If it's any use, here is a link to replacement of the taligate struts, I've not checked, but you might see the tube in the pictures.

If you want to get to the nozzle, access is probably the same way as replacing the centre brake light, but I've never had to replace that.
[/quote]

/\ three separate pumps. One pump for front washer, one pump for rear washer, one pump for headlight washer.

Pumps are attached to the water "tank" down inside in front of the right front wheel. You can't get to the "tank" without removing the front bumper, or the inner fender.

this might help

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=B__1501&block_03=445

The nozzle can be removed from outside the car using a screwdriver as a lever and a bit of rag to protect the paintwork. Changed mine in about 5 minutes so it can't be hard!

Alan

The nozzle can be removed from outside the car using a screwdriver as a lever and a bit of rag to protect the paintwork. Changed mine in about 5 minutes so it can't be hard!
Just in case I ever need to ...... does the panel "forward" of the brake light come off, and if so, can it be levered off from either side ?

Thanks all.

Update - after activating the rear wash for 5 more times it is working again.

BUT there is washer fluid dripping down onto the tarmac from around the exhaust area at the rear of the car - is this normal - is there some sort of drain or does it mean there is a leak in the pipework somewhere near the rear ? I know 100% it is washer fluid due to colour and smell by the way.

No drain in the diagram, and that does not happen on my Tourer. Also, I wouldn't expect you to have a leak one minute and no leak the next.

I've removed the tailgate brake light panel from my car just in case I ever need to one dark night. It "flips down" and then comes away, I inserted two very thin screwdrivers between the panel and the brake light, where the arrows on the plastic panel are, and then when I could get my fingers in I pulled it down and it came away.

Tailgate brake light with panel removed ....

DSCF0793.jpg

Panel (arrows are visible) ....

DSCF0795.jpg

underside of panel ....

DSCF0797.jpg

No it's yellow and soapy, the color of the washer fluid
I've never seen yellow washer fluid :lol:

Since you've got the extended warranty from Honda, make the most of it, maybe a joint needs tightening in the run of tubes, one of the item 6 or item 7 in the diagram. If you look at the diagram, you can see that the tube descends at the back inside the car, it follows the harness route.

They'll have to take away the trim on the right side at the back, it comes away quite easily, I've taken mine off once to Iremove the tow bar wiring that went that way.

Hi guys,
I'm a newbie here, and first of all I'd like to say thank you for the descriptions, tips and tricks about hondas - such a good work!

I had a problem with my rear washer, and it was such a big help for me to read this topic :) Switching it on, I could hear the pump, so I thougt it's something about the nozzle. But then I recognized some fluid appeared on the right side trims...So I released them and found the tube - simply seceded. Fortunately I had an I- joint to fix it - so it's okay now. Thanks again for the description and pics.