What's new

Copper slip

nick 9-5

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer LPG
So when I do my rear brakes where am I applying copper slip, obviously to the back of the pads, where else?

On the sliders and pins nick.
But I would use the lube supplied by genuin Honda pads.
I will find the name of what they use it's moly something

Don't use Copper Grease on the slider pins !!! copper grease attacks rubber and will ruin your seals. Only use a lube that's deemed rubber safe like Castrol Red Lube..
Do a quick google and you'll see...:rolleyes:

I don't recall my tourer rear brakes having slider pins!

Copaslip (to use the correct name - http://www.molyslip.co.uk/anti_sieze_compounds/ ), is great for most applications in braking systems, except that it does actually harm rubber - great if there are no slider pins with rubber bellows! Unfortunately, most 'rubber friendly' materials are also poor greases.

I was very recently involved in a debate in a different forum, where the applicability of suitable grease became a little lively -
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=29915 in particular, there was some concern regarding the use of Red Rubber Grease (as I think Gav is suggesting?), as it has poor lubrication properties for metal-to-metal contact. It's only for ***embly of rubber components within, say, a brake cylinder. Many claim to have used it successfully, but I wouldn't. This is the suggest from the MR2 roadster community (for those that can't be asked to read the link) - http://www.silmid.com/Products/Lubricants/Molykote-Lubricants/Molykote-Greases/M044M00100.aspx but I didn't have any (so reused some of the old stuf behind the bellows that still looked clean).

I didn't have any (so reused some of the old stuf behind the bellows that still looked clean).

Jon, do you also turn your boxers inside out to reduce the amount of laundry you have? :lol:

I too was confused on the applicability of grease a while back but could find no concrete evidence of what's best to use. I've had cars come back from the garage with copper grease on the pins and other people saying its a no-no.

Last time I did brake work was to free up a sticky caliper on the wife's Almera. I thought about moly grease but couldn't find too many people who had used it for caliper pins. In the end I went old skool with copper on the backs and sides of the pads where they make contact with the caliper / anti-rattle clips and red rubber grease on the pins as I knew it would be safe to use with the rubber boots.

To be honest, it seems like one of those issues where you ask ten people a question and you get ten different answers!

So when I do my rear brakes where am I applying copper slip, obviously to the back of the pads, where else?
Also put it on the sticky out 'wings' (widest point of pad) that fit into the guides. But before doing that, check that the pad isn't an excessively tight fit in these guides - you may need to file/grind off the paint and/or casting marks to ensure that the pad is fre to move back and fro (but not too loose!!). I once thought I had a (another) siezed caliper, but it was actually just the pad jamming.

As mentioned, I'm pretty sure that your car doesn't have slider pins.

Use molykote, the black grease which is supplied on the pads, use copper grease only on the inner wheel so as it's easier to get the wheel off instead of them binding to the hub which can happen, ya know when ya gotta kick it off :rolleyes: I've heard copper grease will bind the back of the pad to your caliper and end up ruining the calipers :unsure: :unsure:

Use molykote, the black grease which is supplied on the pads, use copper grease only on the inner wheel so as it's easier to get the wheel off instead of them binding to the hub which can happen, ya know when ya gotta kick it off :rolleyes: I've heard copper grease will bind the back of the pad to your caliper and end up ruining the calipers :unsure: :unsure:
Your correct Bas copper grease will corrode the metal shims on the back of the pads.