What's new

100k plus 8th gen, am I asking for trouble?

aceface321

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CTDI
Hi 8th geners.

I currently have a 7th gen cdti accord saloon and have nothing but praise for it, it's done 70k and has never had any issues other than general wear and tear.

I recently bought my wife a little Alfa Romeo Mito and have left myself without a car that I can easily get any large loads into and hence have decided to chop my 7th gen in for a 8th gen tourer.

My only issue is that my budget will only stretch to a 100k plus dcti model and although I'm sure this isn't such an issue for modern engines with a decent service history I'm still a little nervous.

Is there anything I should be looking out for, or have any high milers got any feedback that I might find helpfull?

I'm also looking for an auto this time round so any feedback on the autobox would be applreciated.

Andy

Hi Andy

Other than the puncture on Friday (! see previous post) My Tourer EX iDTEC Auto hasn't missed a beat in 65k. As an ownership proposition it is faultless, service is relatively cheap (much less than German brands) and comfort excellent. Tyres seem to last well, only ever topped up the oil once near to service time, no MOT issues.

While not really an estate car in the vein of the 7th gen, the size is good for a family and again the comfort and ability to munch serious miles is outstanding. I use the ADAS system regularly on the motorway, but this was not on my original shopping list.

The auto box takes a few miles to warm up on colder days, but this is only an issue if you need to floor it out of a junction. Average mpg is around 42-44, which seems to be about the same as other similar size cars according to owners reviews on whatcar. It is a big heavy car after all. The manual is around 50mpg from what I can see.

What is your budget for a new 8th tourer auto if you don't mind me asking?

Jason

I thought I would have a look at an 8th gen as I just fancied a change from my 7th gen tourer. I was absolutely amazed at how small it is inside.
If you are looking for something to carry decent sized loads about, forget it!! I can happily get both of my dogs in the boot of my 7th gen, but wouldn't be happy putting one of them in the 8th.
Don't get me wrong, the 8th gen is a nice car and drives very well but comparing the two capacity wise is like comparing a 5 series to a 3 series!