What's new

Downsides of Induction Kit and other Q's

exec

Members
Reaction score
Car
'99 2.0 SE Exec
Thinking of buying this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-02-HONDA-ACCORD-1-8L-2-0L-2-2L-AIR-INDUCTION-KIT-/190601363115?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2943390885618428001%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D190601363115%26

Just wondering will this fit my 6th gen 2.0? and how hard is it to fit?

Also any downsides to fitting a CAI, such as flat spots in acceleration, fuel economy and things like heatsoak?

Cheers

Search for a prelude induction kit. It's the one I had and te one a few others have bought. They do nothing for performance, but sound amazing in vtec.

There are no downsides. Only that you'll use vtec more often for the noise.

Oh, and it'll take about 15 mins to fit. Nothing hard at all.

I originally bought that one, very easy to fit and a great sound but no diff in performance, great value for money though.

I did a bit of DIY and bought an enclosed induction with a forced cold air feed from front bumper and the mid range pull is much improved but because its enclosed its not as loud as the open induction.

This is mine now

IMAG0826.jpg

I have a short ram. No noticeable change in performance. But the feel of the throttle is different, I prefer it. And the added noise, for me, isn't about showing off power, it's a way to be more in-tune with the car. You get a greater sense of the engine's dynamics through the revs.

I plan to adapt my short ram into a proper cold air intake so as to overcome any issues of drawing in warmer air from the engine. But really I'm just doing it because I want to, not because I'm chasing horsepower. If you see gains in power, they'll only be 1 or 2 (barely noticable) and likely be at high speeds (70mph+) so theoretically as the air is pushed through at speed, if you're chasing horsepower, it's really only worth doing on a track car.

That said, F6had CAI'd his brother's car and dyno'd it to see relatively large gains, so I think it's very much down to the car's dynamic. Check this out, it only confuses matters more in my view :lol: , but makes for good viewing.

Open Element Filters - Myth Busted

Cold Air Intake's - Myth Busted

F6had's Bro's Car

Maybe if you're looking to save yourself a few pennies, remove your intake resonator and add extra cold air feed pipes to it. Therefore, keeping the stock intake box and Honda filter (which are probably more than fine in terms of structure and performance) but you're adding free flowing air feeds to this meaning more cold air is fed into the engine and it's cost you next to nothing.

I ran a short ram on my last Accord and Prelude, i felt gains at the top end where it would rev more freely to limiter, but that was with a performance exhaust.

Even though it was sheltered by the battery and has three cold air feeds, on hot days in traffic you could feel it was sucking in much hotter air when stuck in traffic, but was fine once i got moving.

Here's an old old picture -

PolishPipe2.jpg

I have a Typhoon on the ATR and this is awesome. Can definitely feel the benefits of a CAI although i've no rolling road proof of gains, but plenty of other owners have shown real gains from the Typhoon. Given the choice, i would only ever fit a CAI again -

46A2E300-D63C-47F4-947F-11D86459ED86-903-00000174303CE88D.jpg

You can get Ebay CAI's for the Prelude that should fit, which will be alot less than the Typhoon. You can always change the Ebay cone filter for a better one.

Iv got a short Ram typhoon and must say i can deff fill gains through the rev range.This might be down to its an 8th gen so am very happy with the set up.
But as Shiny said in hot weather and in traffic i do suffer heat saturation but once im moving its fine as i have a cold air feed from the front bumper.

Nice engine bay Dale. Nicely dressed

Thanks mate, wish it was as clean as Shiny's but i work in the quarrying industry so super difficult to keep any part of it clean for long :(.

@ exec, like Shiny and many others have said before the car benefits so much from cool air. Had a Hks induction on my Supra which sounded great but no performance gains, fitted a CAI on the 2.5 Galant I had and it benefitted a lot from the cool air so i suppose its whatever suits really.

My sons got my old induction kit on his Alfa 8C pedal car so I will get some feedback off him, lol.

IMAG0829.jpg

As I thought, he said you should get one cos it sucks air and makes racing noises, :)

Lmao, that is the only reason you need.

I must admit, after I fitted the Typhoon, I took my kids out for a spin and made them smile. Then I took my Nephew out and next thing i knew his mates kept turning at his house up for trips round the block whenever I visited! Lol.

If you lived close I'd be showing up for a spin in the ATR aswell. Lmao

Lmao....i have to admit my atr with a typhoon is very addictive....it really is a hell of noise :wub:

I had a modified standard airbox with a k&n panel filter to start with,it was very noisy all the time,the typhoon isnt too bad part throttle but when its wot the noise is sublime especially in vtec...the typhoon does feel like it lacks a little pre vtec but its nicer to drive.

I have an AES long ram kit fitted to mine, it's similar to the typhoon kit fitted to shiny's car, the actual filter is sat right down in the front bumper so it sucks in cold air even when stationary. Was quite difficult to fit, as you have to remove the front bumper to install it, but I think it has transformed the feel of the car, it pulls better in low and mid revs, the car felt really flat before I installed it, it still is below 2k but picks up nicely up to 4k and then the VTEC kicks in, no real performance kick, but sweet lord, the noise, THE NOISE!! Your MPG will be shot as you will constantly be on VTEC because it sounds so good! I've had many different types of induction kit fitted to my cars in the past, one quite similar to the one you are looking at on ebay, one similar to the one tipex9 has fitted and then just bog standard K&N cones. I can say with certainty that an enclosed system, or the AES long ram/ K&N typhoon type is the way to go, otherwise you are bound to be sucking in warm air from the engine bay and not gaining, or even losing performance.

I originally bought that one, very easy to fit and a great sound but no diff in performance, great value for money though.

I did a bit of DIY and bought an enclosed induction with a forced cold air feed from front bumper and the mid range pull is much improved but because its enclosed its not as loud as the open induction.

This is mine now

IMAG0826.jpg

I love the look of the red paint on your exhaust manifold cover, is it anything special? I dont often see gloss finish.

Hi Dale - What Red paint did you use to paint your manifold cover and the cover?

I have that Induction kit pictured at the top from Ebay
For money and value it is definitely worth it

Although you need to make a slight adaption for the 1.8 Vtec Accords to the pipe that currently runs from engine to standard air box as mine was welded on. Email ali--786@hotmail.co.uk if you need a detailed pic.

As far as power goes, there is a slight difference i think although i have a sports exhaust too
The car definitely feels better and as far as fuel economy no difference unless you start hitting Vtec more

Hi Dale - What Red paint did you use to paint your manifold cover and the cover?

Although you need to make a slight adaption for the 1.8 Vtec Accords to the pipe that currently runs from engine to standard air box as mine was welded on. Email ali--786@hotmail.co.uk if you need a detailed pic.

As far as power goes, there is a slight difference i think although i have a sports exhaust too
The car definitely feels better and as far as fuel economy no difference unless you start hitting Vtec more

The induction pipe on your standard air box was welded on?? Strange, mine is a 2002 1.8 and the pipe was just held on with a couple of brackets.

Hey guys, the paint i used was Halfords High temerature paint. Used it on my calipers too it gives a great finish ;)

Looks like I won't be able to get this, the idiot insurers removed the declared mod when I negotiated my renewal, probably because it actually lowered the price, and now they want money if I want to adjust the policy. Looks like another year I will have to wait. *sigh*

Thanks for all the help and info.

Sod that do it anyway, unless your planning to crash, if you do there isn't alot of point with the 6th gen write off less your excess would be pants.

What they don't know won't hurt them, unless its Adrian Fluxx who do a club discount on here then your screwed :lol:

Sod that do it anyway, unless your planning to crash, if you do there isn't alot of point with the 6th gen write off less your excess would be pants.

What they don't know won't hurt them
Great advice :rolleyes:

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/46/46_non_disclosure_insurance.htm

:lol: that's quote of the day that is!

"What they don't know won't hurt them"

Except it knowingly invalidates your policy which is illegal, not to add that if you smash into someone and they bill you for £5K+ of body work for example, you need to pay that yourself, as your insurance won't pick up the tab :blink: !

Get real. I phoned up my insurers last year, asked what it will cost to add an aftermarket air filter modification. Cost nothing to add to my policy. They just like a note on their system. So if your insurers won't cover it, shop around.

The induction pipe on your standard air box was welded on?? Strange, mine is a 2002 1.8 and the pipe was just held on with a couple of brackets.
I meant its the little breather pipe
The little black pipe That goes from the topof the rocker cover into the side lf your existing Air box pipe

Mine was welded or glued or whatever but basically you have to add a bit of red pipe either side to make it fit with the induction kit off eBay
As the breather pipe is too small for hole on the eBay induction kit

If you email me I'll send you a close up

I meant its the little breather pipe
The little black pipe That goes from the topof the rocker cover into the side lf your existing Air box pipe

Mine was welded or glued or whatever but basically you have to add a bit of red pipe either side to make it fit with the induction kit off eBay
As the breather pipe is too small for hole on the eBay induction kit

If you email me I'll send you a close up

I thought you meant the pipe from the airbox to the inlet manifold!!

Bought one of those cheap CAI second hand from ebay. But I would prefer to just use the plastic OEM piping rather then the metal piping, but the end bit is oval and i cannot fit cone filter, anyone know if there is any adapters or hacks to get this on?
Cheers

Ive just fitted the induction kit posted in the link on the first page, all went swimmingly, however what are the 2 metal brackets for and where on earth do they go?, I looked for ages but just couldn't figure it out lol

Here they are pictured

They help keep the pipe stay on firm, the attachment goes on screw hole near where the vin plates etc is, the black oem air filter box thingy will have one itself screwed onto it.