What's new

Subwoofer

Tomce

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord i-CTDi
Hello,guys,

Any chance connect subwoofer with OEM player.How connect amp?Any ideas?

Hi Thomas. Can be done using speaker signal to rca converters. However the sound quality will never be as good as what a proper rca lead gives you. You can then connect a subwoofer and amp up. Other alternative is getting a second headunit. I'm ***uming you don't have through sat nav unit in your car?
I installed a double din xtron into my mates dips car which we did a writeup on here, just do a search for xtron, and h currently has a subwoofer hooked to that as well as reverse camera.

As Shabz says, been looking at doing this myself.

First port of call for me is to use the High Level Inputs on an amplifier I have.

Second port of call could be this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHHlU_lUHhY

And if you want to do it properly, i.e not cheaply one of these would be the best to use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HovE7k0Bcc

Thanks guys for quick replay.Try search on ebay tonight.No,I don't have satnav

whos willing to fit that in for me :D? cuz i dont have a good history with cutting wires, nevermind taking feeds of them.

I installed an Audison Bit One processor and connected my sub to it but the processor alone will put most people off due to price, installation and setting up.

Thanks guys for quick replay.Try search on ebay tonight.No,I don't have satnav

If you can wait till the WIM meet I can show you how I did my sub install ;)

I have a JL audio mono block amp and JL audip sub in my boot and it really makes the sound so much better.

I still haven't fitted my JL audio front speakers yet as they will add more mid range that the stock system lacks

Thanks,Adam, for your help.I can wait till WIM,because don't have money for audio system,but want see how you done;)

How you you get the power to it, I have a sub box with built on amp ready to go in the boot and understand I'd have to splice the speaker wires, but was wondering about how to get power to the amp in the boot? Also, what about the "remote" wire, which effectively turns the amp/sub on/off depending on whether the signal is sent from the headunit? Just trying to get this straight before attempting.

The remote line from an aftermarket headunit is only 12v.

You could run a 12v supply from the cigarette lighter (which I believe only comes on when ignition is on).
Might be worth fitting a switch somewhere too.

you only need a bit if stranded 0.5mm

Hi

I ran a 12v supply straight from the battery through a gromit in the firewall which was on the right as you look from the front. But.. i do have the 2.4 which i hear is the easiest to do this with.
Another option is to run it under the car (if you have access to a lift/ramps. then come in via the spare wheel (make sure you seal properly to avoid water ingress).
I've also seen somewhere that you can get into the cab via the passenger wheel arch. Im sure it said remove the wheel arch lining and there are some wires entering the cab through a gomit which comes out behind the glove box.
Hope this helps.

I'm also thinking about trying this setup using signal to RCA converter in order to power a sub & built in amp in the boot.

Will a standard signal to RCA converter work as I will be taking the signal from the rear shelf speaker cables which should be a low level sub signal anyway or will I need to use a high to low level converter?

Signal to RCA from the boot speakers would work fine.

But if it was me wanting as good a quality as i can i woould:

use a Parrot SOT lead - then you can split out the factory speaker outputs
attached the signal to RCA in behind the radio isung the rear speaker outputs
run a 5m rca lead to the boot
install 4 channel bridgeble amp - (use it to power the rear speakers and the subs) or 2 amps 1 for subs and a small one for speakers)

if you have the premium sound system:

you will need to - use the front speaker outputs (which you should have left) and wire them to the front and back speakers (so you dont lose your rear door speakers)

Hope this is undestandable.
I fitted 2 headunits and ran them off a switch on the dash which is working great for me. (see other threads)

Hi

would anyone know the colours of the + & - speaker wires on the standard hu in a tourer.
The back door soeakers sound awful so was looking at ruining these to the rca convertor then possibly an amp to re-power speakers or just my amp

Make sure you run direct power line from battery to amp with a fuse inline. Running from cigarette lighter can cause a wire to burn in the loom. He amp draws a great deal of current.

With the right power cable that is and ground with a proper cable too.

TypeR said:
Make sure you run direct power line from battery to amp with a fuse inline. Running from cigarette lighter can cause a wire to burn in the loom. He amp draws a great deal of current.

With the right power cable that is and ground with a proper cable too.
Has anyone on here done this setup?

Amp directly powered from the battery with a subwoofer attached and possibly driving 6x9s in the rear shelf?

I'm happy with the mids and highs but i'm looking for a bigger bass punch. I dont want to spend a big pile of money so nothing top end, just something to introduce more low end