What's new

2004 ctdi front fog light bulb.......

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
i know there are loads of bulb questions on here but i just need conformation on this before i order if any one can help.....

one of my front fog light bulbs has blown and im ***uming its the bulb. i went to my local dealership and they want £48 to change the bulb including the bulb as its a bumper off job!!!! i asked what type bulb it uses and they said H3 ( the little bulb with tail) ive looked online to see if there is a decent upgrade bulb i can buy and every web site states that i need a H11 bulb...........

so which one is it please? my car is an 04 CTDI saloon

and why the hell have they made it impossible to change without removing the front bumper?

also has anyone changed their front fog bulbs to an upgraded bulb? i dont want HID's by the way

I have recently changed my fog lights on my cl7 and it is infact 110% H11 bulb and also is NOT a bumper off job! Just trying to get money from you! Order h11 bulbs from eBay you can get LEDs if you want completely up to you, then you need to have access to the underside of the car! So if your small enough to fit down their or have a friend that has a ramp you could use? Once underneath you will be able to see like a slam panel black plastic ***** underneath the engine bay with clips going right across the bottom (closest to your bumper)! Remove those and voila, disconnect the old bulb(s) and fit the new one! Just be careful when putting the plastic bit back on as its a hard fit and the stupid plastic screws can be a nightmare! Anyways good luck

The choice of lamp tecnology really depends on what you want from your fog lamps. LEDs will produce a more attractive, whiter and apparently brighter output (so better for looks), while traditional filament lamps produce a broader spectrum of light which includes the yellow/orange component which is superior for penetration of fog, mist and damp conditions.

I should add that I got h11 led blue bulbs for my fogs and they are very blue :)! Match my sidelights and all the other lights! Please don't start telling me it's illegal etc I know I know don't worry!

hmmmm i didnt think it would be such a massive job. i think ill be ringing them on monday to ask what the hell they are on about.....

i have LED side lights and mtec cosmos blue headlight bulbs so was looking for something thats practical as well as good looking. i have seen pics of LED fog light bulbs and they are pretty poor tbh. im not one to drive about with fog lights on when they arent needed either so practicality come well before looks.

there are so many to choose from i just wondered if anyone had good things to say about any that are available. osram nightbreaker plus, ring xenon max, phillips diamond vision, mtec etc etc etc.... or maybe someone can tell me ones to avoid!

It sounds a lot harder than it actually is but if you haggle abit you could get it fitted for under £50! From a honda dealer! Also before these I had the Philips diamond vision fogs and they are awesome! Highly recommend them! I only went for blue for show use etcc I never drive with them on. All of my bulbs are blue on the outside and inside! Plus 10000k hids! Very nice at night times

Hamid they want £40 to change the bulbs but that is purely just fitting and doesnt include bulbs which they want £8 each for but that was for the H3 they told me i needed...... i dont know if H11 are more or less expensive tbh!

if its just a case of removing the undertray and disconnecting the bulb then ill try myself as im fed up of giving Honda my cash and getting my pants pulled down for very poor work.

thanks for the recommendation of the phillips bulbs too mate.

+1 for the Philips DiamondVision... good performance and a nice white light.

Osram Nightbreakers are OK. Not sure about the others mentioned.

Honestly mate I've done it so many times! The amount of money they have got from me I could have bought a new car! Well deposit anyways ;)! Try it yourself you'd be surprised how easy it is.

Like Jon said the Philips are great get two of those and try them you won't be disappointed bud! Please don't waste your time and money buying h3's because you will have to return them! H11 are the bulbs 110% sure on that!
Happy to help mate anything else let me know I've done pretty much everything apart from a supercharger so ask away! Even aux for phones etc

thanks Jon i may go with the Phillips bulbs then.

i have heard that a few members have had issues with bulb life when fitting the Osrams so wasnt sure about them tbh.

thanks Hamid. i didnt think that the H3 was correct which is why i double checked online. they even took my car reg to give me that bulb type on their computer......

its no wonder their workshop seems very empty these days if they telling porkys to customers and charging them silly prices to do small jobs. they told me it would take an hour but they couldnt charge me £92 for a bulb change as it was too much!!!!! they then made out they were doing me a favor by quoting me £40.... i bet when the car was on their ramps it probably would only take 20 minutes to do

It will literally take no longer than 15 mins for trained honda techs! Don't ever trust solely the honda computer! I called up to get the sizes of my discs front and rear and was told 300mm front and 282mm rear! I thought hmmmmmm I went and checked myself and the rear was 260mm! And they took my plate!
Btw 40 is the price then the vat comes on top lol! All prices are plus vat not including! Rip off

just to confirm the correct lamps guys ;) http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4609-my-2nd-attempt-daytime-running-lights/

just to confirm the correct lamps guys ;) http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/4609-my-2nd-attempt-daytime-running-lights/
Not too sure about that... they do look good as DRLs, but I doubt they function well as actual fog lights.

Not too sure about that... they do look good as DRLs, but I doubt they function well as actual fog lights.
Im sure Jon this was the effect Jav was after and as you say as fog light the light output will be pants.
But for DRL'S a good mod i think as i don't even use my fogs with my HID's anymore.

just been researching the philips diamond vision and am i right in thinking they are not road legal here in the UK?

also isnt a more yellow light better in the fog and severe weather etc?

like i said im not one of these people that use fog lights when there is no need so the replacement bulbs need to be practical as well as a close match to a brighter headlight and side light if there is such a thing...

just been researching the philips diamond vision and am i right in thinking they are not road legal here in the UK?

also isnt a more yellow light better in the fog and severe weather etc?

like i said im not one of these people that use fog lights when there is no need so the replacement bulbs need to be practical as well as a close match to a brighter headlight and side light if there is such a thing...
Philips DVs are perfectly legal. Perhaps you are thinking of HID conversions, which aren't strictly legal without other modifications also being undertaken (but may still pass the MoT test due to Dft/VOSA rules inconsistency).

Yes, a more yellow light is better in fog, mist and damp conditions. But the DVs are filament bulbs, so will also emit significant light down at the yellow/orange end of the spectrum (light at the blue end of the spectrum is preferentially absorbed by moisture vapour).

i have read that they arent E marked and are for off road use only, the same with the crystal vision bulbs... a few ebay sellers state this also in their adverts. the philips blue vision ultra are listed as E marked and legal within the EU.

ill look into it a bit more.

You're correct, dammit, DVs aren't road legal in Europe... http://drivingspirit.com/philips-diamond-vision/ ...my apologies.

Osram Nightbreakers, then.

i wonder how many people use these any way?

how would anyone know?
The police can tell by the blue tinge to the light, as it can be obvious. Several members of the Civinfo forum with upgraded filament lamps have been stopped for this reason (but I don't recall what makes of lamps were being used).

I guess it's a risk you take... bit like speeding?

Well I have always had 'illegal' lights and been pulled for normal insurance checks because I'm young and not once have they questioned my lights. A lot of cars have these lights and it is impossible to make sure no one uses them as they can be related to xenons. I guess each to their own

Well I have always had 'illegal' lights and been pulled for normal insurance checks because I'm young and not once have they questioned my lights. A lot of cars have these lights and it is impossible to make sure no one uses them as they can be related to xenons. I guess each to their own
Getting away with it doesn't make it legal. :ph34r:

Are you offering to pay any fines incurred by those following your advice that it's OK? :p

Guys just to let you know the fog light bulb on an 04 diesel saloon is not H11 its H3 as stated by Honda.......

Brian (freddofrog) and myself had my bumper off today to find my new H11 won't fit.......

^ yeah they were different fogs, round not oval, with H3 stamped on the body.
Looked like they would come out from the front, but only if the screws were not corroded.
With the bumper off to remove the headlights to do the HIDs, we could see the rear of the fogs and the brackets.
Very different from the fogs on my car.

Dam it of course the shape the the preface is differant.

Any obvious reason why different foglights were fitted?

My '54 diesel tourer has round foglights so I guess it's a petrol/diesel thing, rather than a saloon/tourer thing. How odd!