What's new

silica bags in headlights

mattlee

Members
Reaction score
Car
Civic 2.2 i-ctdi
i think many of us 7th gen owners are currently running about with silicon bags in our headlights due to the poor construction and moisture that gets into the units. there was a recall but all Honda did was to add clips to the top of the light units (not the bottom for some reason) and bung a bag of silica within the unit near the dipped beams. in my opinion this is a pretty poor way of dealing with an issue that could fail an MOT and cost the owner a small fortune to replace the complete units which are roughly £300 each!!!!! this was obviously a cheap, quick, temporary and easy fix for Honda but not a very good one in my eyes.

anyway after having the clips and bags fitted i still get a small amount of condensation within my units along the front and into the corner, i have rang Honda UK and they fobbed me off by telling me that the units have small breather holes in and this is normal for them to fog up!!!!! what a load of balls.....

so my silicon has been in the units for several years now and im thinking of adding a fresh bag into each unit to try and help the issue as much as i can. ive seen 100g bags on ebay which i think are a similar size to the ones that Honda threw in. can anyone tell me if they are just wedged in or if they stuck them in with tape etc? my current bags have scorch marks on from the heat given by the lights when on and im also worried that they will burst filling my light with silica which will look awfull and be impossible to remove without splitting the cover from the unit.

why didnt Honda just replace the lights for new proper sealed units instead of doing such a poor fix?

if you don't mind DIY'ing it... turn your oven up to 80-100c and chuck the again in there for an few hours this will bake out the moisture and you can reuse the bag :)

From memory i think they are stuck on but i'm sure someone will back me up on this?
I was really gentle with them when removing the bags, also I had the headlamps off the car which made life easier.