What's new

Aftermarket headunit with bose sub and amp?

Roylewaa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord SE Exec
I'm starting to miss my DAB headunit so i'm looking into fitting it into my 6th Gen

Ive seen mentioned a couple of times on other threads that it is possible to run the factory fitted bose Amp and sub from an aftermarket headunit by splicing certain wires from the cars stereo loom into the head units iso loom?

Has anyone succsesfully done this and have either a guide or pics?

Also would I need a ISO convertor cable? as im not sure if the 6th gen has an iso connector

Any info would be great
Thanks in advance :)

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/11554-can-you-replace-bose-stereo-in-se-excutive-with-aftermarket-one-and-how-do-you-remove-stereo/ see if this helps first

The ISO is easily available from eBay or halfords

Thanks chaps, I will pick up an ISO lead and see what it sounds like

Ideally I would love my old headunit in, as ive just made a working encased hardrive from an old PS3 harddrive i had lying around and it would be ideal to fill it full of music and stick it in the glovebox B)

In an ideal world I would just get Xcarlink, however the headunit is only 3 months old and wasint cheap so I can't justify the spend :(

Well I picked up an ISO lead and tried my Sony DAB700U headunit, and the sound quality is awful, even after playing about with the headunit for half an hour :(
Really flat sound that distorts even at low volume

So will be re fitting the standard headunit and be living with it, I might sell the Sony headunit to buy Xcarlink instead seeing as its no use now :(

And to top things off I managed to break the dash surround and the green light no longer works on the cruise control switch :(

Oh well, you live and learn :lol:

Ive been on the forum all night looking for a solution and hoping to get the stardard sub and amp working with my Sony headunit and I found this

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/5713-bose-subwoofer/

I don't know if its because its late and i'm dogeyed but this is going right over my head, Am I right in thinking connecting the remote wire from the back of my headunit loom to the amp lead will power the sub and amp from the Sony headunit? As simple as that?

The bose system is designed to work as a completes system. All the speakers and sub are part of that and there are two boxes which control it. One under the passenger seat and one behind the rear seat on the driver's side.
I too wanted to utilise the existing sub with an Alpine head unit but having spent many an hour trawling the net and having my local car audio centre have a play they got it working by fitting a little box with a volume control under the passenger seat connected to the bose amp.
TBH the sound was dire as the bose sub is not designed to be driven by anything other than a bose amp.
I have now got different front door speakers, 12" sub and amp in the boot. Which is much better.
Ideally I wanted to fit a shallow 8" sub where the bose one goes but the company I ordered one from could not source it for me. I am very happy with the 12" sub but would rather not have the box in the boot so am keeping an eye out for a good shallow 8" sub.

Cheers for that Tony, I think I might refit the bose headunit for now, until such time I can upgrade the speakers as the sound quality is appauling, I played Rage Against the Machine's first album (as the production is great) before with the original setup it sounded amazing, and now at even quarter of the volume of the bose headunit it is flat and distorts to hell

Just found this, wonder if it is the same for the UK Accord, As this is for the Acura

http://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326253

Ive melted my brain trawling through the net looking for a solution to this and everytime I thought I got my head around it I found conflicting info so sod it just bought an Xcarlink, the sd/usb version

They're doesent seem to be a guide for fitting one in the 6th Gen with a Bose system, so will do a guide with lots of piccies for the DIY section, also ordered a Y cable to retain the cd changer for when im feeling nostalgic B)

Hi there,

I've been watching this closely to see if any developments arose as I recently put my old Alpine X305 in. I lost my bose sub and was determined to get it working again. Every time the radio turns on I hear a click suggesting the amp turns on ok, just no audio coming through the sub. So I had a quick run through the link to the US Acura forum and wondered over the idea where they suggested soldering a spliced coaxial wire to the positive and negative bass wires on the loom to the equalizer, and then use a Y splitter RCA to connect it to the pre-outs at the back of the head unit.

I got that far and nearly gave up when I couldn't find any wiring schematics for our UK cars. Until I had a look into the ESM Manual someone uploaded here in a sticky. I did find the exact schematics for the Equalizer and wiring loom, the wires needed were the Light Green (+) and Green/White Stripe (-) on the green connector. I gave it a go earlier this evening, wired it up and can confirm the subwoofer is working.

Might need to look into fine tuning the output though, but this is down to a play around with the head unit.

Hope this is of help to anyone :)

I'm pleased you have managed to get yours working Dominic, I don't suppose you took any pics of how to do it, I had a look at the wiring to my sub and chickened out :blush:

Ive now sold my headunit and bought Xcarlink now, although this will be useful to others

Nice work pal. Maybe you could do a how to guide for other members to try?

Hi guys,

Yes I did take photos as I tried it in case I did manage to get it working with my very basic knowledge of electrics lol, which I did.

I'll try sort a 'How-to' out at some point, no doubt it will help others who are looking for the same answers I was.

Champion, Would be great if you got a How to up, Its one of those questions that always pops up on the forum every now and then

Compared to the stock setup, what is the sound quality like with the sub and amp running with an aftermarket headunit?

I think the standard BOSE system in my car is one of the better audio setups I've experienced, barring a couple of decent Hifonics and Alpine setups I've had.

Bearing in mind, it isn't worth spending daft money on audio for a car worth sub £500.

I think the standard BOSE system in my car is one of the better audio setups I've experienced, barring a couple of decent Hifonics and Alpine setups I've had.

Bearing in mind, it isn't worth spending daft money on audio for a car worth sub £500.

I do agree yes, for standard kit it is pretty good, and if you get the bass/treble just right you can get a nice sound from it, my only gripe is the sub seems to wimper out at higher volumes

When you compare it to the equivalent kits in Vectra's and Mondos, its miles better, even non amped setups, the sound system in the 1996-2000 Mondeo is laughable, even on the Ghia X, same system across the range, either a tape or a cd player with exackly the same output/sound quality and speakers

Soon as I pull my finger out and fit my xcarlink I'l be happy with it :)

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying, Uni and exams round the corner.

I have posted up a How To in the DIY section -> My Guide

As for the sound quality, I find it better than without than without the sub. I used to have a small aftermarket set up in my old car, amplified alpine components up front, with a 12 inch vibe sub and separate amp in the boot. Although it's not as punchy or boomy, I find the accords stock BOSE setup running off the headunit quite good, and with the sub connected up it does add a little better rear fill: it's perfectly enjoyable. I have been toying with the idea of installing a small aftermarket sound setup when time/money allows but just with my Alpine HU I have been more than happy with how it is so far. Maybe i'm growing up.. :p

Nice one mate B)

I was the same a few years back, always the first thing I did whenever I got a new motor, pulled out the stock stuff and fitted aftermarket, nowadays I just can't be bothered :lol: