What's new

Engine Mount Control

freddofrog

won 16.4k on Euro lottery :)
Reaction score
Car
TBD
Is the Engine Mount Control system used on 7th gen, and if so is it only on the automatics ?

Is the Engine Mount Control system used on 7th gen, and if so is it only on the automatics ?

I ***ume you mean this: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10694-engine-mounts-how-cool-is-this/page__p__120145#entry120145 ??

If so, apparently it's on all petrol Accords, I believe the diesels use something different.

I ***ume you mean this: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10694-engine-mounts-how-cool-is-this/page__p__120145#entry120145 ??

If so, apparently it's on all petrol Accords, I believe the diesels use something different.
yeah that's what I'm talking about ;)
from your original post on that thread .... "The forward-most of these two "center of gravity" engine mounts is an electronically controlled hydraulic unit with variable dual-mode stiffness"

I have a DVD that I got a few years back, alledgedly for my car. Was looking at the ECM/PCM wiring diagrams and saw an output to "EMC" and googled "Honda EMC".

I'm not sure if it is on my car, here are the engine mounts on my car in Lings.

Part #9 might be the thing we're talking about ?

Part #9 might be the thing we're talking about ?

Yep, that's it - it's on my 2004 2.4, so I ***ume it's on yours. If you check under the car, you'll see the mount is fed by fluid from part 17 connecting to part 16 which feeds the fluid. This is all electronically controlled depending on the speed of the car, etc.

As I said though the diesel is a different setup.

where does the fluid come from btw ?

Good question. Since it's a sealed system, I ***ume the fluid is filled on fitting of the rubber mount. What the valve does is simply close to prevent fluid from leaving the mount (locked) or open to allow fluid to flow freely. If you take a look at the parts in the box marked E3, I think this is the fill point.

Good question. Since it's a sealed system, I ***ume the fluid is filled on fitting of the rubber mount.
that's what I would have thought, with an electrically operated switch that alters the hydraulic firmness

What the valve does is simply close to prevent fluid from leaving the mount (locked) or open to allow fluid to flow freely.
you've lost me there, if it leaves the mount, it's gone ;)

If you take a look at the parts in the box marked E3, I think this is the fill point.
I think that the "E" arrows are "external", whereas the "B" arrows are other "blocks" (the URL for the engine mounts contains "&block_02=B__4700", and B-48 in the diagram refers to the same URL but with "&block_02=B__4800", which is where that part B-48 can be found)

you've lost me there, if it leaves the mount, it's gone ;)

Ok, I didn't articulate that too well. My understanding is not that the fluid is "pumped" into the mount, but basically it's free to enter an leave the mount with the value open. The mount is gravity fed, (hence the loop from the bottom) and with the value open the fluid travels up/down the pipework making the mount "soft". It's the mount that's doing the load bearing here, not the fluid. To stiffen the mount the valve closes and hence the fluid is trapped and can't head up/down the pipework - hydraulic stiffness as you say yourself

I think that the "E" arrows are "external", whereas the "B" arrows are other "blocks" (the URL for the engine mounts contains "&block_02=B__4700", and B-48 in the diagram refers to the same URL but with "&block_02=B__4800", which is where that part B-48 can be found)
Ah, ok - thanks.

Ok, so with the B and E stuff here's the rest of the system:

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=E__0300&block_03=445

Learn something new each day! :lol:

Hmmm... it's off the intake manifold, so it's pneumatic??

Ok, so with the B and E stuff here's the rest of the system:

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=E__0300&block_03=445

Learn something new each day! :lol:
hey well done ....

this is getting URL geeky :lol:

so B-48 in this diagram refers to the same URL but with "&block_02=B__4800"
and E-3 in same diagram refers to the same URL but with "&block_02=E__0300"

but ... the inlet manifold !!!! yikes :eek:

my guess is that the vacuum suction alters the stiffness somehow.

another snippet from your original post ... "It switches between a setting optimized for damping vibration at idle, and another firmer setting"

at idle it will have max vacuum, so that is when it probably gets actuated, then gets switched off according to rpm and/or road speed

my guess is that the vacuum suction alters the stiffness somehow.

another snippet from your original post ... "It switches between a setting optimized for damping vibration at idle, and another firmer setting"

at idle it will have max vacuum, so that is when it probably gets actuated, then gets switched off according to rpm and/or road speed

So at idle, the mount will be at its softest at high-rpm it will be stiffest. So, thinking about this the vacuum must extract fluid or pressure to allow the mount to flex. At high RPM the vacuum is removed and the mount allowed to stiffen. Probably in a similar vein to the servo brake cylinder. I suppose to figure it out we'd need a diagram of the mount.

So at idle, the mount will be at its softest at high-rpm it will be stiffest. So, thinking about this the vacuum must extract fluid or pressure to allow the mount to flex. At high RPM the vacuum is removed and the mount allowed to stiffen. Probably in a similar vein to the servo brake cylinder. I suppose to figure it out we'd need a diagram of the mount.
There is an electical solenoid on the wiring diagram that I have, which is what made me ask the question in the first place (and the EPS question too).

So I would suspect that the vacuum suction is only connected at idle, then the solenoid gets switched off by the ECU.

Ok some more info. From the research I've done it looks as if the mount is primarily hydraulic chamber surrounded by an air chamber. Basically when the air chamber contains air the mount allows for marginal movement of the mount in all axis. The is sufficient to minimise the NHV of the engine.

When the value opens the air is sucked out and the chamber collapses and the addition rubber around the hydraulic chamber causes the mount to stiffen. Now this happens at a relatively low engine speed so there's sufficient vacuum speed to suck out the air. One the car comes to a stop the air chamber is filled again by the atmosphere and the mount softens.

I'll try any get a diagram link for this - I'm on the phone and linking is hard :)