What's new

Easist option to change dip beam headlamp bulb

JLPK

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
I've purchased some upgraded H1 bulbs for my 8th Gen for the dipped beam. Tried the procedure described to replace the bulbs in the user manual and it is virtually impossible to force the under wing fender to the side far enough to get my arm in. I have to say i'm quite disappointed to have bought a car which can not have a simple bulb replacement carried out at the road side.

What's the easiest way to change the bulbs?

Have you taken the screw and the clip out?

I'm looking at some H1 osram nightbreakers, as the standard dipped beam is fairly weak isn't it, you notice it these dark nights.

My 2.0 petrol it looks like its just possible from under the bonnet, the coolant tank unclips and lifts out of the way.

The nightbreakers are really well reviewed. I've just bought some Philips xtreme. They are decent brightness and last for ages, much longer than most extra bright bulbs.

I think it is possible to get at the main beam bulbs from under the bonnet and maybe the drivers side dip bulb (at a push!) but the battery stops you getting your hands to the passenger side one.

I no it's a pain but the easiest way is bumper off and take out the lights job done

Iv done mine and it took me 1 hour from start to finish.
Also something to bear in mind a dealers will charge you around £40 to change a lamp.
I would say they will do the same by taking the bumper off root

Trust me Brian if you think the 7 th is hard the 8th gen is impossible ask any Honda tech

^ ye gods ....if I had known that I would have taken a closer look when I was looking at your engine and laughed at the access to lights :lol:

There almost the same as the 7th gen location but with 50% less room

You dont need to take the bumper off, just unclip the wheel arch liner as described in the handbook.

So

I've changed the bulbs. Tried the method described in the handbook, taking one screw out of the wheel arch liner, completely impossible to do it this way. So i took several clips off the liner and did a much better job of removing the front half so that i could at least see the back of the lights. Unfortunately my hands are too big to do the job that way. I think a small woman might be able to do it. In the end I did the drivers side one from within the engine bay, not as bad as it looks, then removed the battery and did the same for the passenger side one. What a ridiculous set up. At least I can now see though!

Glad to hear you got it done, as we suspected taking the bumper off would not be needed.

TBH im surprised a complete engine rebuild is not needed to change bulbs in new cars., i mean why not make it more difficult for us.

^ now you're being silly Eric, you don't need to rebuild the engine to change light bulbs, you only need to take it out :lol:

sounds good to me

complete engine rebuild, think of the new things you would learn over a h1 bulb :unsure:

So

I've changed the bulbs. Tried the method described in the handbook, taking one screw out of the wheel arch liner, completely impossible to do it this way. So i took several clips off the liner and did a much better job of removing the front half so that i could at least see the back of the lights. Unfortunately my hands are too big to do the job that way. I think a small woman might be able to do it. In the end I did the drivers side one from within the engine bay, not as bad as it looks, then removed the battery and did the same for the passenger side one. What a ridiculous set up. At least I can now see though!
So how long did it take start to finish.

About 2 hour but I would say that I could do it in half that time now I know a way that suites me. I spent a lot of time taking the front of the wheel arch liners out when I only needed to remove the battery. Really pleased with the Philips xtreme bulbs though!

Yes I did but to be honest the problem is that a metal structural part under the wing behind the headlamp makes access very poor from under there.

Or take the bumper off like I do it and take 1 hour tops.
Infact it was 1 hour to fit my hids

It might be a lady working at Halfords, she'd have a better chance of fitting her hands in to change a bulb than a man on an 8th Gen!

Bonnet open to bonnet closed 90 minutes with new bulbs fitted to both sides.

8th-DippedBeam_zpsudd8fhzs.jpg