What's new

Flat battery

JLPK

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
My dad bought a 7th Gen a few months ago, 06 plate with 26k on clock, Honda approved warranty. Soon after getting it the car had a flat battery. Reluctantly the dealer that supplied the car agreed to give my dad a new battery for it. It's just gone flat again this morning. The breakdown service guy tested the battery, said it was perfect (should be, it's new!). He also tested the alternator, said it was fine, and tested to see if there was any sort of significant discharge of the battery by the car when switched off. No discharge. Has anybody got any ideas? Is there any sort of common fault on these cars that causes a flat battery?

My dad bought a 7th Gen a few months ago, 06 plate with 26k on clock, Honda approved warranty. Soon after getting it the car had a flat battery. Reluctantly the dealer that supplied the car agreed to give my dad a new battery for it. It's just gone flat again this morning. The breakdown service guy tested the battery, said it was perfect (should be, it's new!). He also tested the alternator, said it was fine, and tested to see if there was any sort of significant discharge of the battery by the car when switched off. No discharge. Has anybody got any ideas? Is there any sort of common fault on these cars that causes a flat battery?

I have exactly the same problem, with the same responses from auto electricians, AA, etc. Took mine to the Honda dealer today, who initially found no drain. Several people on here have mentioned bluetooth/hands free phone causing a drain. When I mentioned this, he went back, checked the bluetooth and found a drain, so has disconnected it. However, voice recognition now no longer works (don't know if it should) and I don't actually know if the problem is solved. I will know after this weekend, as I intend to leave the car on the drive for a couple of days, which usually results in a flat battery.

Hi Phil - if you are suffering a flat battery then the issue really must be either a worn out battery, an ineffective alternator, or an unexpected discharge (usually, on facelift models, caused by an HFT fault). I know you think all those potential issues have been ruled out, but something has obviously slipped through the net! Maybe have someone else do the testing again?

The common explanations for this problem would be knackered battery or HFT unit.

I left mine standing for 3 weeks, when I went to start it "no go" I put it down to the alarm system draining the battery. How long had yours been standing??

Thanks for all the advice. I tried to attach my phone to the HFT system and it was clearly dead. So my dad took the car to the garage and they agreed to mend the HFT system on the Honda approved used car warranty. The service manager said that the part was some sort of obscene amount of money but they did it on the warranty. The car seems to be not discharging the battery anymore though so that's a great result.

damn right honda should fork out, its basically a new car at that milage.

the HFT thing probably is over a grand, some parts of the accord are astonishingly expensive.

Good result and in glad Honda uk did the right thing

Well to be honest my wife has a honda civic which we bought with a honda warranty, and the warranty paid the best part of £1000 (at main dealer rates) for several issues that the car had, I've just bought an 8th Gen accord and already had 3 new alloys on the manufacturers 3yr warranty and a back light so my experience of the Honda warranties is that the service we have had has been so good that it has easily been worth paying the extra for honda approved used cars. In fact the near 6yr old civic has just had it's roof repainted on the anti corrosion warranty due to corrosion along the top edge of the windscreen. I think that is pretty good service.