apintofmild

Members
Reaction score
Car
Golf GTD
First a bit of background…

Some nice fellow left this for me recently:

bump_zps1e44d186.jpg

The damage looks slightly better than shown above after a rub down with a damp towel (most of the white appeared to be plastic padding from the miscreant's front end). However the gouging and rippled door skin are still more than I'm prepared to ride round with. Especially as it isn't even self inflicted.

As he (or she) absconded without so much as an apology I'll have to foot the bill from my back pocket. The no-claims implications of an insurance job make it an unattractive option.

I've been to a few places for prices. The cost for a high quality 'good-as-new' fix with replacement door, paint and repairs to the collateral damage is eye watering:

quote_zps8c5df3fd.jpg

There is no way my rough round the edges 8 year old Tourer justifies this. If I had a grand and a half burning a hole in my pocket I'd be going on holiday. I've had other quotes that are more favourable, but the best least-expensive option is just to swap the door and put it down to experience.

Fast forward several days….

I've a half decent 2nd hand bare door on it's way which is the right colour (I know it'll be several shades out in reality, but I'll have to live with that). The scratches on the rear quarter panel and bumper will partially polish out, partially touch up and partially have to be lived with.

My question is, has anyone any advice with regard to actually hanging it, swapping over the lock, hinges, electrics, glass, winder mechanism, removing the rear grab handle, window switch, door card, trim or anything else that might ease the swap or help me avoid pitfalls?

Many thanks,

M@

Hi mate sorry to hear about this! Some people need hanging by there testicles!

This happened to me one night not so long ago and I probably wouldn't have been so annoyed if I had at least had a letter saying sorry!

Anyways I'm sure one of the guys can help you out and good luck with it all!

Hamid

Owing to recent changes in Photobucket’s image hosting service some of the information contained in this thread may have been lost.

Until I’ve found a suitable alternative image hosting service, and the time to re-write the post I have uploaded the original as a PDF here:

http://jmp.sh/SGnnNzQ

Note that this is also uses a free hosting service, which may change its T&Cs in time, or go off line entirely. Until then though, it may help someone…