What's new

Fuel consumption

redtwin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi all, just bought a 2002 Accord last week and had a quick query on the fuel consumption. It is a SOHC 2.0 with an autobox and the rate at which the fuel needle is falling is concerning. I keep trying to reassure myself that maybe the gauge isn't linear and that "half" on the gauge doesn't really mean "half" actually in the tank, because if it does, I am looking at about 275 miles from a brimmed tank and this car may set my personal record for the shortest time I have ever owned a car. :)

Just wondering what kind of MPG others may be getting from their cars. I know the autobox will lead to hurt economy, but if I can't better 30 MPG then the car will have to go. I had a Lexus LS400 previously and that 2 tonne car with a 4 litre V8 and autobox would easily return 20mpg with my driving style and usual commute (the same as the Accord).

seems normal to me from what your saying mate...

seems normal to me from what your saying mate...

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will try a few brimmed tanks to double check of course. The air filter is brand new, the spark plugs have a lovely burn on them and the lambda sensor appears to be new. The car runs brilliantly and in the quest for good economy I doubt I could realistically go much slower than my usual 60-65MPH on the motorway though. I guess they are just thirstier than I hoped/thought.

After following advice on here I'm getting better than 30 from my 2002 auto mate. I use the tiptronic a lot though (does yours have tiptronic?) , so I can control the revs better.
Also cruise control, if you have it, helps with the fuel economy on the motorway. At least in my experience.

After following advice on here I'm getting better than 30 from my 2002 auto mate. I use the tiptronic a lot though (does yours have tiptronic?) , so I can control the revs better.
Also cruise control, if you have it, helps with the fuel economy on the motorway. At least in my experience.

I have the tiptronic thing and gave it a quick try, but found it a bit gimmicky if I am honest. The autobox in "D4" will hold gears as long as it needs to depending on throttle application without me fiddling with the shifter. I have been driving automatics for over 20 years so tend to be a bit old fashioned in that respect. I can see where the quick flick tiptronic would be useful when in hilly areas though.

I do use cruise quite often. My daily work commute includes 20 miles of empty motorway and the cruise is almost always set at 60MPH.

I had a quick look through some online MPG specs and it would seem that 31MPG combined is listed for my car. Not bad I suppose, but then the 4.0 Lexus LS I used for comparison listed 29MPG. I know those figures are not the most reliable, but I would have thought the Honda would do better than 2MPG more considering it has half the cylinders and engine displacement in a car which is probably half the weight as well!.

Any way, I suppose there is nothing wrong with my car, but I have to admit to being a little disappointed as I sort of told myself that the increased fuel economy of the Accord would more than compensate for losing the Lexus' comfort and luxurious ride, but things haven't quite worked out that way.

im getting about 25-28 from my manual on a 1998, i also has a ls400 (1994) as my last car, the accord is definatly better, but not as much as i wanted it to be. may end up chopping it in for a diesel unless i can keep my annual mileage below 5k.

Depends on the usage - they are thirsty with cold start commuting but on a long run I get about 40 from my 1.8i manual.

Hi dude,

Not too sure if you've tried this already, but try brimming the tank and then see how many miles you can get till the fuel light comes on. Don't panic too much when it does cuase there's still at least 50 miles in there.

In my old Manual 2 litre i used to get just over 400 per tank,

Check you EGR valve as well, a under performing one hampers with economy. With the F20B6 engine which is what i ***ume you have, you should be getting upto 35 mpg and normal driving 32 is about right maybe a tiny bit less with an auto.

As rightly stated a long run properly heated it will be alot better, a part of Honda reliability is related to cold starting and running, this is done by many things but one key factor is running rich during warm up so its worst in Hondas.

Also Check tyre pressures and brakes for rubbing.

Oh and it gets worst as you will know during Winter

I made a thread on here not long along which petrol people posted up what fuel economy they got. I can find it now hope its not been deleted!

Thanks for the replies. I will check the EGR, never thought of that as I haven't had issues with them in the past other than on diesels where they got gunged up with soot.

I am pretty convinced that my car is running fine though and it is just me that was hoping for more than the car is capable of.

gonna do a search for cleaning the EGR pipe, is it a big job much? really dont wanna be ****ing about to much with a 700 quid car, but if it improves economy then who am i to complain :D

Hi all, just bought a 2002 Accord last week and had a quick query on the fuel consumption. It is a SOHC 2.0 with an autobox and the rate at which the fuel needle is falling is concerning. I keep trying to reassure myself that maybe the gauge isn't linear and that "half" on the gauge doesn't really mean "half" actually in the tank, because if it does, I am looking at about 275 miles from a brimmed tank and this car may set my personal record for the shortest time I have ever owned a car. :lol:

Just wondering what kind of MPG others may be getting from their cars. I know the autobox will lead to hurt economy, but if I can't better 30 MPG then the car will have to go. I had a Lexus LS400 previously and that 2 tonne car with a 4 litre V8 and autobox would easily return 20mpg with my driving style and usual commute (the same as the Accord).

Keep out of vtec if you can at all and you should get better fuel economy, I don`t drive my car over 65 mph and use gentle acceleration and braking and I get good results, I have a 1.8 vtec manual but i would imagine mpg figures would be the same for both 1.8 and 2.0 vtec engines

Brimmed it on Friday and it worked out to be 27MPG. SInce then I haven't exceeded 3,000 rpm so I will brim it again this week and see what I get. If I don't improve on 27MPG significantly then to hell with it all and I will be bouncing it off the rev limiter until I chop it in for something with a satisfying V8!!. :lol:

2 weeks ago if someone had told me that a modern 2 litre petrol engine produced by those paragons of engineering technology (Honda, in case anyone was wondering) couldn't break 30MPG, even when driven as gently as possible, I would have called them a liar. :rolleyes:

I think this may be the first documented case of Vtec kicking in someone's Yo. :lol:

Filled my 2002 1.8 manual up last friday ready for trip to holdcroft,so far i have done 375 miles with just below a 1/4 tank left so should be looking at getting well over 400 miles to a tank full.

Hey guy's..newbie to this forum :rolleyes:

been running my 2.0 exec auto since about June this year and yep only average 27/28 mpg!!..bought the car as what a great package but didn't realise the fuel economy :lol: and I do 50 miles per day!!

not in a position to change as all the diesels about are just high mileage sheds.

it is the ONLY negative that I can find however..

thank god my other car is a 2.2 civic sport..

Totted up some more fuel receipts and I got:

25 MPG - with mixed driving, but I did have to hit 70 MPH on the motorway a few times.
41 MPG - long 225 mile motorway/A road run, never exceeded 60MPH or 3K RPM
33 MPG - A roads 50-60MPH no traffic lights
27 MPG - A roads 50-60MPH no traffic lights

Hardly news that town stop/start driving absolutely kills fuel economy. 41 MPG on the motorway was impressive and was better than I was expecting considering past results, but that didn't come without considerable effort. At one point I had HGVs overtaking me. ;)

Thoroughly fed up with fuel economy testing now, may as well drive like I stole it. B)

Please tell me that is petrol figures there red?

Yes it is, 2.0 SOHC petrol with an autobox.

If it was a diesel I would have too busy trying to find the fuel tank leak to bother with rambling on and on about fuel economy. :)

:) :eek:

hit the nail on the head there, I spent weeks driving around watching the revs, no a/c etc trying to eek out a mile per gallon extra, just "drive it like I stole it" now, much more fun..

wish I could uprate suspension a bit though..

:D

I'm not too sure why you're all getting lower figures. Charlie so far is the only 6th gen on here that gets what i was getting outta my 2.0 6th.

Even with the ATR just normal weekly driving i still see 350miles per tank.

ATR meaning autobox?. If you are doing that many miles to a tank, then all your driving must be downhill. ;)

I have given up on economy, I tried my best and could only get the figures posted and they just were not worth the effort.

Then again if I pumped up the tyres to about 45-50 psi, took the spare and jack out of the boot, stripped all the pass seats and carpeting out...hmmmm :lol:

ATR = Accord Type R

No worries bud :).

I get about the same from my 2.0 Auto. Brimmed the tank on sunday, and the light came on this evening at 293 miles. That's with the a/c on the majority of the time keeping the screen clear. The best I got was a traffic free run from Cumbria back to London and returned 362 miles, but i've given up with trying to get amazing economy, and I'm just biding my time until i've had the operation on my left knee and I can drive a manual again.

I tend to use the tiptronic more than just leaving it in D4, as it seems to want to change gear like a CVT when I accelerate, and I prefer having control of which gear i'm in.

Late to this thread, but have just done my first brim-to-brim (also on a 2.0 SOHC 6g Accord auto): bang on 30mpg.

That's over half a tank, mostly a single A12 trip driving at 65-75mph, plus perhaps 10 miles of town driving at each end. And with no AC and no booting it.

I also think it's pretty poor for a high-tech 2.0 (and I've had a lot of lower tech autos with better economy). I will be doing the EGR cleaning thing ASAP (just in case it does contribute). Luckily for me, this car is just for certain trips, and I have a guaranteed 55-60mpg Aygo for most miles.

Theres no point trying to get fuel economy now, its winter, with temps near 0 the engine runs rich for longer until properly warm, so unless your doing like a 20-30min drive or more, the engine will use more fuel. Plus they have switched to winter fuel at the pumps now, that have a % of antifreeze in it which is un-burnable.

The best thing is have the car garaged, that is so the engine is not so cold to begin with or let it idle for 5mins before setting off, not too long otherwise ull waste the advantage. Failing all that, just tie a knot in the intake pipe, less air less fuel goes in. :p