What's new

1.8 vtec accord wont start

Hondy24

Members
Reaction score
Car
2000 accord 1.8vtec
Today My car wouldnt start for some reason, The battery was changed only 3 months ago, I don`t think the fuel filter was ever changed and since I have owned it (over 2 years now) the spark plugs were not changed,
Oil and oil filter were changed 1,000 miles ago, I dont think this would have mush bearing on my starting problem,
I sprayed the battery terminals and spark plugs with WD40 hoping that this maight help lol
after 5 minutes of trying to get it started I gave up, I even tried to start the car in 1st gear on a hill on my drive way but still no start.
I left it for 3 hours and cam back and tried to start after the 3rd crank it fired up, I`m confused lol

I recorded a video of trying to start my car with my camera phone and uploaded it to my youtube account, apologies for the quality and apologies if these forums do not allow Youtube links to be posted,
says the video is being processed so It may not be viewable but bear with me ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGAC_HdzVGk

Can you just confirm what that yellow light is?

It could be an immoboliser problem.
Have you check for spark?

I also recall a problem with the main ignition relay on these but i'm sure someone could confirm?

Can you just confirm what that yellow light is?

It could be an immoboliser problem.
Have you check for spark?

I also recall a problem with the main ignition relay on these but i'm sure someone could confirm?

The yellow light is ABS I think not 100% sure on that now,
I haven`t checked for spark shabz, how exactly do I do that anyway?
I know myself these cars have problems with ignition switch so that could well be the problem here ;)

I know myself these cars have problems with ignition switch so that could well be the problem here ;)

Can't see it being the switch as it's doing it's job by turning the engine. It's either no fuel or no spark. Nothing to do with the battery or it's terminals. When you say you sprayed the spark plugs with WD40, what do you mean? Did you spray the tops of the HT leads with WD40?

Sounds silly but even though the car was open did you try zapping it with the key fob? The immoblilizer might not have turned itself off.

Can't see it being the switch as it's doing it's job by turning the engine. It's either no fuel or no spark. Nothing to do with the battery or it's terminals. When you say you sprayed the spark plugs with WD40, what do you mean? Did you spray the tops of the HT leads with WD40?

I pulled the plugs out and sprayed some WD40 up into the plug itself then replaced into the holes, I though it may work lol

Sounds silly but even though the car was open did you try zapping it with the key fob? The immoblilizer might not have turned itself off.

You mean pressing the unlock button on the key fob before starting?
I didnt think that would matter , I`ll try it tomorrow if it wont start and let you know, I really hope its just a case of me being a dumbass rather than something seriously wrong with the car lol

Could still be the immobilizer... Is yours a transponder in the fob like the 7th Gen?

I think most cars back then did... have you a spare key to try?

I think most cars back then did... have you a spare key to try?

I have 2 keys, The spare is slightly bent so Thats why I dont use it, Thats the way it was when I bought the car,
I`ll try the spare tomorrow if It wont start and let you know if it worked ;) thanks

If you don't want to force it you could just try holding it RIGHT next to the key slot when you turn the main key.... Whilst I was sorting out my folding key that was how I was testing the setup.

***uming of course that this is the problem.

I pulled the plugs out and sprayed some WD40 up into the plug itself then replaced into the holes, I though it may work lol

You sprayed WD40 up into the HT leads. The spark plugs were still firmly screwed into the engine down those big holes. I don't know anything about these engines is there a dizzy cap or is it DI?

Well you openly say the car has not been serviced in 2 years.. what do you expect?

Sorry, I know it sounds harsh but if you neglect your car then you can expect such problems as a minimum. Your issue today might be totally unrelated but I would start with the basics and change the fuel filter and spark plugs, and check the condition of the coil and HT leads.

If there is a blocked filter causing restriction in the fuel supply or knackered plugs not giving the correct spark.. the car won't start. Eliminate all the obvious variables first and then see if the problem is cured.. if not then you can start looking at immobiliser and other more complicated causes.

Just remind me never to buy a used car from you my friend ;)

Well you openly say the car has not been serviced in 2 years.. what do you expect?

Sorry, I know it sounds harsh but if you neglect your car then you can expect such problems as a minimum. Your issue today might be totally unrelated but I would start with the basics and change the fuel filter and spark plugs, and check the condition of the coil and HT leads.

If there is a blocked filter causing restriction in the fuel supply or knackered plugs not giving the correct spark.. the car won't start. Eliminate all the obvious variables first and then see if the problem is cured.. if not then you can start looking at immobiliser and other more complicated causes.

Just remind me never to buy a used car from you my friend ;)

I deserve evert bit of that :(
I think the plugs were changed last year when It went for a service, mechanic said the plugs didn`t cost too much so he siad he would change them so he did, may I add I had this same starting problem before he supposedly changed the plugs, a few months after buying the car this starting problem flared up then I lost my job so the car was let to lie up for the winter, only when I got some money together in spring I decided to put it back on the road, I changed the battery and general service was done by my mechanic 1,000 miles ago so I`m stumped , I reckon the car was sold to me with this problem

I deserve evert bit of that ;)
I think the plugs were changed last year when It went for a service, mechanic said the plugs didn`t cost too much so he siad he would change them so he did, may I add I had this same starting problem before he supposedly changed the plugs, a few months after buying the car this starting problem flared up then I lost my job so the car was let to lie up for the winter, only when I got some money together in spring I decided to put it back on the road, I changed the battery and general service was done by my mechanic 1,000 miles ago so I`m stumped , I reckon the car was sold to me with this problem

I'm still putting money on no fuel or no spark.

How old is the fuel in the car?
Have you run it really low recently so it might pick crap up from the bottom of the tank?

Paul, I wasn't having a go and can appreciate when personal circumstances change - maintaining a car isn't top priority..

Anyways, try the things suggested and then take it from there. Even if they don't cure the problem, a new set of plugs and fuel filter will make a positive difference to the car anyway.

Paul, I wasn't having a go and can appreciate when personal circumstances change - maintaining a car isn't top priority..

Anyways, try the things suggested and then take it from there. Even if they don't cure the problem, a new set of plugs and fuel filter will make a positive difference to the car anyway.

ok I can just picture you cringing when looking at that video ;)

I`ll try what you and other have suggested and I should see some results

Today My car wouldnt start for some reason, The battery was changed only 3 months ago, I don`t think the fuel filter was ever changed and since I have owned it (over 2 years now) the spark plugs were not changed,
Oil and oil filter were changed 1,000 miles ago, I dont think this would have mush bearing on my starting problem,
I sprayed the battery terminals and spark plugs with WD40 hoping that this maight help lol
after 5 minutes of trying to get it started I gave up, I even tried to start the car in 1st gear on a hill on my drive way but still no start.
I left it for 3 hours and cam back and tried to start after the 3rd crank it fired up, I`m confused lol

I recorded a video of trying to start my car with my camera phone and uploaded it to my youtube account, apologies for the quality and apologies if these forums do not allow Youtube links to be posted,
says the video is being processed so It may not be viewable but bear with me ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGAC_HdzVGk

Paul,

Looking at the video all your dash lights were on, how long did you leave them until trying to start the car. Also does this happen all the time.

Not sure whether this is relevant to the 6th Gen, I'll need to try it myself on the Mrs's car, but I know that with many immobiliser systems if you leave the ignition on for say over a minute, without trying to start the car, i.e going to start the car and then getting distracted or going back in for something you forgot, changing music etc, then the immobiliser kicks in even with the key in. If this happens then you have to fully withdraw the key from the barrel and then try again.

I had this the other day, when a neighbour was frantically try to start his wife's car (not an Accord), I asked if the car had an immobiliser and he didn't think so and the key was literally just a metal key, tried jumping it, bump starting, then I got in and took the key right out then put it back in and it started first time, the transponder part of the key was detached from the key (broken off) but on the key ring!

like I say this may not of course be your problem, however I think that you should completely remove your key each time you try to start it, just to rule it out.

Good luck

i have 2 keys for mine, 1 of them works fine with the ecu, and the other isnt programmed. that noise yours makes sounds exactly like if u put the un programmed one in. im pretty sure you can just remove 1 spark plug, attach the lead to the end hold it a very short distance from a piece of steel and try to turn it, you should get a spark then.

Paul,

Looking at the video all your dash lights were on, how long did you leave them until trying to start the car. Also does this happen all the time.

Not sure whether this is relevant to the 6th Gen, I'll need to try it myself on the Mrs's car, but I know that with many immobiliser systems if you leave the ignition on for say over a minute, without trying to start the car, i.e going to start the car and then getting distracted or going back in for something you forgot, changing music etc, then the immobiliser kicks in even with the key in. If this happens then you have to fully withdraw the key from the barrel and then try again.

I had this the other day, when a neighbour was frantically try to start his wife's car (not an Accord), I asked if the car had an immobiliser and he didn't think so and the key was literally just a metal key, tried jumping it, bump starting, then I got in and took the key right out then put it back in and it started first time, the transponder part of the key was detached from the key (broken off) but on the key ring!

like I say this may not of course be your problem, however I think that you should completely remove your key each time you try to start it, just to rule it out.

Good luck

The dash lights were on for about 5 seconds before trying to start the car, It doesnt happen all the time,
Just this morning I put the key in and twisted it and it fired up no problem, I don`t know much about cars but I doubt even a competent mechanic could find where the fault is,
my mechanic could find nothing wrong with the car

The dash lights were on for about 5 seconds before trying to start the car, It doesnt happen all the time,
Just this morning I put the key in and twisted it and it fired up no problem, I don`t know much about cars but I doubt even a competent mechanic could find where the fault is,
my mechanic could find nothing wrong with the car

Paul if it happens again and does not start first time, try taking the key physically out of the ignition not just turning it back and also don't pump the gas pedal (if you indeed do anyway, this will stop the engine from flooding)

It really does sound like an immobiliser issue, the car sounds as if it is turning over fine

Paul if it happens again and does not start first time, try taking the key physically out of the ignition not just turning it back and also don't pump the gas pedal (if you indeed do anyway, this will stop the engine from flooding)

It really does sound like an immobiliser issue, the car sounds as if it is turning over fine

Ok I will try this if is acts up on me again, thanks:)
could I possibly disable the immobiliser?

Hi possibly it could be an intermittent fault with the fuel pump relay. When you turn on the ignition you should always hear the fuel pump for a second or two as it pressurises the system. If you don't her it then the relay might be faulty.

could I possibly disable the immobiliser?

I don't think so and certainly not easily, after all it is to stop thieves, also it is factory fitted not an addition so would be integrated within the wiring and would probably be a nightmare to do.

Hi possibly it could be an intermittent fault with the fuel pump relay. When you turn on the ignition you should always hear the fuel pump for a second or two as it pressurises the system. If you don't her it then the relay might be faulty.

as soon as the ignition is on i always hear a low pitched noise, I presume its the fuel pump, Its starting ok today and have driven over 50 miles with it,
will be interesting to see if it fires up straight away tomorrow when I try

I don't think so and certainly not easily, after all it is to stop thieves, also it is factory fitted not an addition so would be integrated within the wiring and would probably be a nightmare to do.

ok I wish it was just a case of snipping a wire in the ignition and problem solved ;)

Yeah so do most teefs ;)