What's new

17" alloy offset and bolts question

Redrook

Members
Reaction score
Car
6th Gen
I have just picked myself up a set of "new" (new to me not new to the world) 17" alloys which I intend to fit on my 6th gen 1.8i 52 reg. I don't know what my offset is but I am led to believe that it is ET50 by this page here http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car/Honda/Accord%20(1993%20-%202003)/. However they have ideal tyre size for 17" rims as 215 when it is actually 205 according to every online calculator. I went ahead and got 215s anyway as that's what they came with.

Does anyone know if the offset for my car is indeed ET50? The offset of the new wheels is ET42, will this be ok or do I need spacers of some kind? If so what width is recommended?

Secondly, will I need longer bolts/nuts for the new wheels? I believe it should have 12x1.5s on it right now. The new wheels are have tapered holes, dont know if the steelies are until I take em off, probably tomorrow.

Pic is attached. They claim to be genuine Hondas but who knows. They did come off a 2000 Accord however so I am optimistic that all is fine.

$(KGrHqJHJEMFF),9F5n(BRk!VRBevg~~60_12.JPG

offset on your car is approx 50, wheels with offset 42 will be ok, don't know what's the width, but they shouldn't stick out of the wheel arch, you don't need any spacers as lower offset is pushing wheels out, if you'd have offset 60 or so then you'd need spacers. if it comes to nuts standard wheel nuts for alloy wheels will be ok, I think that nuts from steel wheels won't be ok for alloy, but I may be wrong, just make sure that nuts you'll be using are tapered not radius ;-)

offset on your car is approx 50, wheels with offset 42 will be ok, don't know what's the width, but they shouldn't stick out of the wheel arch, you don't need any spacers as lower offset is pushing wheels out, if you'd have offset 60 or so then you'd need spacers. if it comes to nuts standard wheel nuts for alloy wheels will be ok, I think that nuts from steel wheels won't be ok for alloy, but I may be wrong, just make sure that nuts you'll be using are tapered not radius ;-)

Thanks, of course, I understand offset now doh. I would love clarification on the wheel nut issue, as I have read a lot but there's a lot of BS on the internet. It may be a moot point as I haven't checked to see if the nuts I have are tapered or not yet. Also, is there a different size of nut I should be using or will any alloy nuts do?

Also, without taking off one to see, am I going to need lug nuts or bolts? And conical or ball seat?

Firstly nice one on the purchase, Ive never seen those alloys before and I looked for OEM 17" Honda ones myself for a while

As for wheel nuts, it is a no no to use nuts intended for steelies on alloys as the seat is different, they indeed need to be tapered for alloys

However I fitted OEM alloys to my mates standard Accord S that originally had steelies on and I was surprised to find that the wheel nuts were exackly the same as the alloy wheel nuts on my Accord so may well be the same for you as they were tapered in order to fit the wheel trims on as they were the type that bolt throught the wheel trim also to hold it on (if you know what I mean)

I used the same wheel nuts to fit OEM alloys and she has had no problems, and they are still fine 2000 miles later :)

Hope this helps

Firstly nice one on the purchase, Ive never seen those alloys before and I looked for OEM 17" Honda ones myself for a while

As for wheel nuts, it is a no no to use nuts intended for steelies on alloys as the seat is different, they indeed need to be tapered for alloys

However I fitted OEM alloys to my mates standard Accord S that originally had steelies on and I was surprised to find that the wheel nuts were exackly the same as the alloy wheel nuts on my Accord so may well be the same for you as they were tapered in order to fit the wheel trims on as they were the type that bolt throught the wheel trim also to hold it on (if you know what I mean)

I used the same wheel nuts to fit OEM alloys and she has had no problems, and they are still fine 2000 miles later :)

Hope this helps

Thanks that is exactly what I have, 4 radius nuts which also hold on the trim. However, they also have little black washers to protect the trim. I am wondering if these will fit the alloys, though now I can't work out if they have tapered or radius holes! Just tried one of the nuts in one and seems like they will fit, not sure about the washer either though.

If the weather lets up today I will have a look at my nuts :D for you to see if they are defo the same, I'm 99% sure mine have the washer aswell

If the weather lets up today I will have a look at my nuts :D for you to see if they are defo the same, I'm 99% sure mine have the washer aswell

Thanks. ;) I actually had a productive morning. Took off the nuts, found that they were indeed nuts, not bolts and that they are radius with a black washer. Tried them in new wheel, seem to fit. At this point I am intrigued.

Took wheel to a local parts shop and the parts list they have there says that all Honda OEM wheels, steel or alloy, have the same nut fitting since 1989! Guy tried the nut from steel in alloy and says they will fit fine.

All in all it seems like problem solved. If anything the black washers will add a little more protection between the nut and alloy too.

My car has alloy wheels and a steel spare wheel, but no extra nuts, so the nuts are the same.

Well shes all fitted up now, wheels seem to fit perfectly. Looking good I reckon, wheely good :p . And no, it's not getting lowered.

FOR ANYONE reading this thread at some point it turns out these rims take RADIUS nuts not tapered, so don't just ***ume that all alloy wheels need tapered nuts, you might find your steel ones are just fine. I took a blu-tac "cast" of the holes in the rim to be sure.

IMG-20130515-00394-small.jpg

Ok so the saga continues. Fitted the wheels and felt a little vibration thru the steering (plus the noticeable difference in ride comfort compared to the 15" steels!).

Thought it was prob needed balanced. Got that done and apprently 3 of them are slightly buckled. Not noticeably, not enough to affect handling, but still incredibly annoying. Still get a bit of vibration in steering above 60mph. Mechanic said they are fine to use and shouldn't do any damage to anything, but it's still quite annoying. Going to get in touch with guy I bought them from but not holding out much hope of a refund.

They were only £120 with tyres so not the end of the world. Learned my lesson for sure. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience? Should I just suck it up til I wear out the tyres and switch to my steels again?

Ok so the saga continues. Fitted the wheels and felt a little vibration thru the steering (plus the noticeable difference in ride comfort compared to the 15" steels!).

Thought it was prob needed balanced. Got that done and apprently 3 of them are slightly buckled. Not noticeably, not enough to affect handling, but still incredibly annoying. Still get a bit of vibration in steering above 60mph. Mechanic said they are fine to use and shouldn't do any damage to anything, but it's still quite annoying. Going to get in touch with guy I bought them from but not holding out much hope of a refund.

They were only £120 with tyres so not the end of the world. Learned my lesson for sure. Anyone have any thoughts or similar experience? Should I just suck it up til I wear out the tyres and switch to my steels again?

You can allways go to a wheel reapair shop and straight them up. If done right, they will be perfect.

Thats a shame ,they look great. The buckling is prob why the guy was selling them.

Yeah it's a bummer, just goes to show you can't trust anyone unless you know as much as, or more than, they do. Which I didn't, do now. Going to look into getting a refurb for sure.

Just updating this for anyone's future reference, they are Alessio wheels, Alessio Monzo I believe. Not many of them around has to be said. Original owner obviously replaced the centre caps. Still good wheels, looking into possible refurb.

As said a shame they are Buckled, I had a similar experience on a set of 17"'s I bought of Gumtree, 1 was quite badly buckled, the guy who balanced them for me got it as best as he could and I put that wheel on the rear

If its only minor vibration you might get used to it, brings up the old question, do you want to sacrifice ride comfort for looks?

Allesio wheels are fairly rare now as the company went bust a few years ago, I had a set on my Primera and it was a nightmare getting a replacement centre cap for them

The saga has ended!

Yeah it sucks that they were buckled, BUT, I have had them sorted and they are 90% better! I took them into Wheel Pro Scotland in Edinburgh and had them evaluated. One was fine, one was ok enough to leave, and two were needing attention (one was like a 50p apparently!). But after much debackle, including the 50p cracking during straightening, they are all on the car and seem to be running smooth. There's an undeniable vibration at high speeds, but nowhere near what it was and I barely notice it now. Ended up costing me a lot more than they're worth, but it's done.

I'll replace them when the time comes but for now I really can't speak highly enough of the guys at Wheel Pro Scotland.