What's new

Flip key conversion

Paulie102003

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
So, decided that I was going to give myself set flip keys for my car for no other reason that purely because I just felt like it. Seen only a few posts on here about people enquiring about it so thought I would show just how easy it actually is to do it for those that dont know.

Firstly, got the fob and a refurb kit from this chap on Ebay. He initially sent out the wrong fob but replaced it quickly and was really very good.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-BUTTON-FLIP-KEY-CASE-UPGRADE-HONDA-ACCORD-CIVIC-JAZZ-HRV-CRV-REMOTE-KEY-/390403236306?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item5ae5d8a1d2

Refurb kit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REFURBISHMENT-KIT-CASE-HONDA-ACCORD-CIVIC-HRV-2-3-4-BUTTON-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-/390425095569?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Other_Vehicle_Parts_Accessories_ET&hash=item5ae7262d91

Fob cost me 10 quid and the refurb 5 quid when I made an offer on them.

The only thing about the refurb kit is that the buttons are rubber rather than the slightly hard plastic buttons on the OEM remote, however that hard plastic is only moulded onto soft rubber anyway I found out whilst ripping the OEM key apart.

So, keys finally sorted, and I struggled to get the blades cut. Nobody would even look at it. Honda told me that as it is not an OEM key, they wouldnt even look at it and that there is no way I could get it to work etc. (I dont do well with being told I cant do something when I have set my mind to it, I have never been known to just give up on something), local locksmiths and auto locksmiths told me that they wouldnt go near it either. Maybe I just have a whole bunch of awkward dealers and stores around me but hey ho. Finally got them cut at a Timpsons after I gave them a rubbish story of it being a gift and they cut them perfectly first time. Guess I was lucky as I see some have had trouble with them. Anyways, some pics:

Two screws holding it together. One at the bottom of the key holding the fob section in place, and the second at the rear of the fob holding the flip key mechanism in place.

Took the fob out of the OEM key to replace the worn buttons, interesting to see that our fobs have the open keyed area for the red Panic button to go that the american Acura's have as default. Changing the buttons was easy. Open up the unit as if you were going to change the battery by releasing the clips on either side, and then take out the circuit board and the buttons and just swap the rubber over.

I then took the transponder out of the OEM. Had to mutilate it a little bit as I did not want to lever the transponder out too much and risk breaking it. The transponder is underneath a little white plastic cap:

Pry that out which is held in by two small clips...

And just transfer it across:

Some people get confused with ***embling flip keys but they are really easy. You have the blade, a spring which can only be installed one way generally and a keyed button which marries up with the base of the blade and only fits one way. Put the blade in the fob in the open position, with the button in place:

Take the spring and put the end which does not have a strand of metal sticking out, and put it in the base of the button:

Put the top part of the fob over the other side of the spring. Make sure the blade is in the open position, hold the bottom of the fob secure and rotate the top part of the fob anti clockwise and you will feel the spring tense up. Complete one full revolution and then push it back down into place and secure it with the screw. It should now flip happily open and closed. Reassemble the rest of the key and mine turned out like this.

Exactly the same key that i picked up a couple of months ago. Cracking bit of kit, feels pretty sturdy. Only thing i didn't do was get the refurb kit, wishing i had though. Good write up and hopefully will help a few others. Well worth a rep point

Very nice explenation...

on my to do list for a while now, but never found the good and right info for it.

some more questions,
why did you have to get the new key cut? I mean, couldn't this be taken from the OEM key?
and what exactly did you need the refurb kit for?

thanks

Raf, the refurb kit just makes the buttons look nice and new again, if your key is anything like mine then the button graphics will be fading, but with the refurb kit they look like new again.

The key blade itself is completely different between the key types. One is designed for the oem key, and the other blade is designed for use with flip keys and has a hole for a locating pin to go through and secure it. Different types of keys means different types of blades.

Nice job Paul;)

Thanks for th ereply to my questions,

before ordering the replacement items, I will try to find a shop who can carve me the key...

Thanks everyone... nice, quick and simple mod.

Raf - if you look at the OEM key in the first picture, the unlock button is wearing away as is the lock button. As Sam has said, refurb kit gives you new buttons so it looks new again. If your current fob buttons are fine, no need to replace them.

Again, as Sam has said, the OEM and flip key blades are designed differently so they are not interchangable. Honda keys are laser cut and are copied by basically "tracing" them in a key cutter. When you order a fob, make sure that the key blade is for the Honda, and that the thicknesses are correct because otherwise it will mess your barrel up and nobody wants a £1200 replacement job for that.

Otherwise, it really is as simple as above. Takes 10 minutes.

Had one of these for my Astra Coupe a couple of years ago - Great kits, been tempted to get one for the Accord.

looks awesome, gonna get me one of them! I found there are also cheaper alternatives shipped from china on Ebay too! prob take a month to show up, but i guess it covers the key cutting cost!

From my research, some of the cheaper ones use cheap quality metal for their blades resulting in bending, not cutting correctly etc. For the sake of a bit more money, get a better quality one. I paid a tenner for each of my fobs and the quality of the key blade is like the OEM.

Have to agree with Paul on this. The cheaper keys tend to use a harder metal for the key and a lot of places have trouble cutting them. My local key cutter had no problems cutting mine and actually commented on the quality of it. I would defintely recommend spending the 10-13 quid now to save hassle trying to get it cut

I bought one of these from the same guy.
Had the same problems with finding someone to cut the key but Timsons cut it for a tenner.

Only problem is when I tried to use it, it wouldn't fit.
Whats the best plan, sand it down a little bit to smooth it or take it back? I don't want to ruin my barrel!

take it back and ask them to check it again. Also check the thickness of the part which has been cut, as sometimes it may not be cut deep enough. I had the same problem with mine but he cut it a little more and then it worked fine :)

Lads, Please be very cautious getting these cut at Timpsons or anywhere for that matter. Timpsons ended up paying for a new ignition barrel from Honda (£1200) and i had to start my car with a hacksaw blade for 2 weeks while waiting for it to arrive from Japan. They are not easy to cut.

Believe me struggling to start your car with a hacksaw blade everyday is embarrassing and tedious after a while.

I bought one of these from the same guy.
Had the same problems with finding someone to cut the key but Timsons cut it for a tenner.

Only problem is when I tried to use it, it wouldn't fit.
Whats the best plan, sand it down a little bit to smooth it or take it back? I don't want to ruin my barrel!

Put it in the bin mate. If you force it IT WILL ruin your barrel.

I had a nightmare with mine. Read the above post.

Seriously its not worth the hassle.

Just had mine done from timpsons. Like said the only place that will fit them.
When I put the key in there was no way it would fit.
A bit of fine sandpaper and it works perfectly. I actually love it.
It was a massive pain in the **** trying to get the screws out of the original keys.
Just waiting for my red H to stick on

Just bought these bits, will have to sit down carefully to mod it once I have the key cut & happy with it.
Someone mentioned a red Honda badge, where do you get those from?

Rafke said:
Thanks for th ereply to my questions,

before ordering the replacement items, I will try to find a shop who can carve me the key...
I did it as well on my ep civic key. Very easy. Pm me if you think dutch questions are easier :p

I referb'd my 6th gen fob last year, sadly I didn't see a flip-key conversion for it but none-the less, it doesn't half make a difference once it's done!

Nice work.