What's new

VSA Modulator Light

Fahad mine was doin the same as yours and when you take out the old sensor you'll notice the wire is loose... did you order from the US?

yes mate, waiting for delivery of it. Dam expensive things.. even used its costing over £50.

warranty direct dont cover the diagnostic bro(but honda hendon didnt not charge me for it...really nice bunch)i took the car into honda hendon for two, by 2.30 they told me that the vsa module is shot and that it will need replacing,thye part is apparently 1600.00inc VAT :eek: the labour another 400.00 so im looking at 2000.00 :eek: :( ,having a feeling from before that this will be the out come,i had been in touch with honda uk for the past two days,i receved a call from a lady called jasmine from honda uk and she told me that a good will gesture will be provided as long as the service history upto date, so after sending all that off, they came to the finall price of 650.00 inc parts and labour,so 1350.00 just dissappered, never the less still alot of money(that would pay nicely for my new maxxim ferris alloys...lol)now all i have to do is faxx all my service history and service documentation off to honda whio will pass this to warranty direct......we will see what happens......... :rolleyes: :D :unsure: .......dont know why but have feeling warranty direct will try to get out of this some how.........(gut feeling)....... :unsure: ......so guys the part is faulty with error code 66-1(thanks cj for that info) and it does need replacing, i have written to honda uk regarding this issue arguing the case that the faulty part should be covered by a recall, their reply was that the american odeseyy(spelling...???)is being recalled for vsa module failure....???????so who knows what will happen here.... hope tis helps guys....mo :(

Mo hope it gets sorted for you mate I'm sure warranty direct should cover this part for you...

Mo - thanks for the update.

Really sorry to hear that your VSA module has failed.

Can you tell me, have you had any work done under the bonnet recently? I guess what I'm trying to establish is whether the VSA module might have been knocked by a tool by accident etc.

There is definitely a problem with these modules, but it seems to be happening not long after cars are going into workshops for routine maintenance..

I think you should push Honda harder maybe. I know some members have managed to get Honda to cover the entire cost of the part and the customer just pays the £250 labour.

thanks bro, really hacked off after all the running around and phone calls jav,been doing my head in, just want my car running 100%,well warranty direct did say they might not cover vsa only abs<but after honda hendon(nice guy called keith)explained that this is part of abs,they kinda of changed their tune and said to send everything in to them..... :unsure: :unsure:

i know brother fahad,thanks for your condolances, well in fact now you mention it the car had its service done 2 weeks ago,but iv driven the car normally (everyday use, 12miles a day) its only been two days.....what you thinking in your great mind fahad....

Yep.. that was my worry mate.

I don't want to accuse anybody, but I think perhaps the mechanic has accidentally damaged the VSA module by knocking it. I have to be honest, it was CJ that first picked this up.. but he's right.. so far every single failed VSA module on a diesel that we've seen has happened days or a couple of weeks after the car has had work done under the bonnet.

maybe bro,but thevsholud that part be that fragile,if it is,then it should be better protected......agree...?

Yep I do agree with that - it's far too sensitive if it's being damaged so easily.

i reckon it might not just be our accords and hondas which might be suffering,the garage i took the car for diagnostic also stated, that he has replaced alot of bosch modules on the 55 plate and above golfs(dont know weather diesel or not bro)but i had similar issue with audi s3 brake pedal sensor,kept on going and i kept on replacing(got it changed about 4 times with 4 different garages....was not too happy)

sent all my documents to warranty direct waiting to find out what they say...... :) :unsure:

right update:honda hendon rang me this morning to notify me that warranty direct are going to pay for the repairs(apprently i pay for then claim off warranty direct...???)is this right....???

Hi,

I have just found this:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090401182642AAPN7aG

is it possible to be true and applicable to our accords?

"This is going to sound funny, but your problem is not with the VSA. Here's what the dealer is missing in their diagnosis.

the way the Vehicle Stability ***ist system works is that when a loss of traction is sensed (when one wheel is spinning faster than the other) then the control for the VSA starts to cut out engine cylinders to reduce the power to the wheel until traction is restored. When the control unit enables the VSA the exclamation point icon comes on and it will stay on until the engine is turned off.

Now for the twist--when the engine has a misfire that causes the engine to lose power then the VSA system "thinks" power is being reduced to restore traction and it puts the exclamation point icon on. So in essence, the VSA is being fooled into thinking that the system is enabled when in reality the problem is one of a reduction of engine power.

I have seen this numerous times on the Accords and Pilots. Almost always the problem is with the EGR valve. That doesn't mean that it is in your case, but my experience is that it usually is. Couple that with the history of EGR valve problems on the Honda V-6 and the the odds are strong that's what your problem is. However, anything that could cause a loss of power or misfire in an engine, such as an ignition coil breaking down or bad fuel could cause this problem.

In most States the things that can cause this problem are covered under a 3 year 50000 mile emissions warranty. I'd ask the dealer to do the diagnosis for an engine misfire and see where that goes.

hope that helps"

thanks yaak, iv read that too...lol, its becoming a serious issue regarding this silly vsa light thing,the problem is honda need to change the part from a bosch part to something more reliable, or like acura do a recall,im seriously thinking about getting in touch with watchdog...lol

If everybody from this forum contact with watchdog then they definitely will spek with honda.

Sufian, congrats the good news from warranty direct.

I'm just wondering if anybody try to contact the BBA-reman: http://www.bba-reman.com/uk/index.aspx about the VSA and how much it would cost?

And another thing is it possible to replace the VSA in ctdi with one from any petrol unit for example from scrapp yard?

regarding the bba reman, i spoke to them and they have no idea about the unit, the only way they can tell is if they have one(sending in your one)or the bosch part number..... thanks cj for the insight mate, i know what you mean, the vsa in my car is gonna be replaced under warranty(warranty direct) the thing is c,j we shouldnt have to be replacing these items in the first place, i brought honda's all my life(nine of them across the range)all very reliable,never a problem except wear and tear items(normal), but if honda want to add these little toys to their cars then they need to make sure they are reliable,thats what their reputation is built upon,thats what makes the customers lean towards their direction, we never needed things like this in our old honda's, and to be honest we dont need them now, i can see honda trying out new things(power of dreams), but if this was a rare case i can understand, but it is such a common issue not only with the accords but now in their cr-v range(here and the state side),then it is a growing major problem which honda need to address and do something about,a good place would be a recall....

finall update: the vsa module has been repaired by honda hendon, as the car was left with them yesterday, the total was 650.00 but this ig going to be claimed back from warranty direct.... the accord was also washed and cleaned inside, which was really nice.... but overall problem solved.... :) :) B) , as soon as warranty direct have paide me,i can get back to having fun again and start the plan with my alloys.... :) :D :D :D :D B)

Nice one Mo, good to hear it's finally fixed.

Thankfully mine was more straightforward and just a rear sensor.

thanks bro, yeah finally all done, honda hendon really helpfull and customer service is great.... your lucky bro it was just a rear sensor...i saw your right up on it... good work.... :)

got mine in tomorrow for a new vsa module, been back and forward with honda and the best they'll do it for is still £430 + vat + labour ;)
honda maintain its a goodwill gesture, to me its admitting blame.
cars is an 05 ictdi with 48k

john did you recently have a service done or has the car been the garage for any works,,,,??? yeah i know how you feel buddy,gave me headache too,i thought the same thing.....sorry to hear about that mate...

john did you recently have a service done or has the car been the garage for any works,,,,??? yeah i know how you feel buddy,gave me headache too,i thought the same thing.....sorry to hear about that mate...

nah, just came on one day and never went off :rolleyes:
thats it sorted now £746 :D
kinda sickened me. fingers crossed itll not play up again

Hi All

I need your help.

I bought a 2005 Honda Accord from UK last year with 60 000 miles on the clock. My VSA signed is on and remains on all the time. I have diagnosed it and got these errors:

66-01 Brake Pressure Sensor Malfunction
84-01 Sensor Logic Malfunction

I am not a mechanic myself however I need this to be fixed. I heard from some posts that it is the ABS / VSA modulator. I live in Malta and the Honda dealer and the mechanics here are crap. Therefor I am really stuck. Do you know what is the best way around getting this sorted? I don't like the idea of spending £1600 as the price is too heavy. Is there a workaround? I tried looking for my part number and managed to get 57110-SEF-E560-M1. I am not sure if this is correct as I have no idea how the ABS modulator looks like so I am wondering if someone might guide me where to read it.

Many thanks for your help guys!

Matthew Sciberras

Right 66-1 is a terminal failure of the VSA modulator, they are made by Bosch and are notorious to fail soon after some work has been done under the hood. In the UK owners who have been reporting this issue have approached HUK and they have ***isted to fund the entire parts bill but the owner has to pay for the labour.

Please call the regional office in Malta, and see what they can do . This is still not been classed as a fault or Honda have issues a TSB . the matter is being still being investigated

Fair enough. I will contact Honda Malta and see what they are willing to do. The service here is crap so Im not too excited. How can I located my part number? I would like to see how much this modulator costs from the internet or whether BB-REMAIN can actually fix it for me.

Matt

For the closest thing to part number would be this website http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/

please note the part number quoted on that website are masked to hide the original parts , also the prices on that webiste are inflated.just use it to see and locate the part under your hood and to get a indicative price.

beware they will not be cheap.

Hi

Many thanks for your help dude. I will go to Honda here and see what they will tell me. Hope its for the best.

Thanks

Matthew

its becoming a very common problem dtc 66-1!..........mainly accords that are affected but i had one come up on an s2000 the other week!.