What's new

Air con problem

Oilburnermatt

Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord ictdi
Hi, am new to the forum and hope you can help me with my mysterious issue on a 2.2 ctdi exec.

My aircon was working fine up until last week, then it suddenly died. The blower works in the cabin but blows warm air. No fans on in engine bay, compressor not kicking in.

Since then I have:

Drained all the gas and refilled.

Had the system checked for leaks. (none found)

Did the relay trick to test that the compressor clutch works ( it does )

Did the pressure switch loop on the cooling rad (compressor still wont start up)

I have now almost given up and settled on the fact that I will need to drive with windows down for the rest of the heat wave.

My only last 2 guesses would be a wiring problem somewhere between the climatecontrol unit and the compressor. The cabin has been very hot when parked in past 2 weeks, could it have melted a wire / connector? Has anyone got any experience of this or have any suggestion of what to do next? I am lost.

Much appreciated.

Hello mate.
Among other issues with my A/C recently I had pressure sensor that failed. You can check it by bypassing the sensor (just short the wires) and see if A/C is kicking in. I would bet my money on that really. This is what you want to look for:

Clicky

The sensor is the no 18 - 80450S7S003.
Dan

Thanks for your response.

I think my problem is certainly pressure switch related.

I tried bridging the sensor, and the aircon would kick in for a split second, only when unbridging the connectors after having them conntected.

This leads me to believe, I may have a wiring fault rather than a sensor fault.

I suppose I can buy a sensor and see what difference it makes.

Any ideas?

+1 for the pressure 'sensor' ( not switch ) , £100+ quid from the dealers. My CN1 needed one last year and my Civic FK3 is playing A/C mind tricks presently...also suspect pressure sensor ( though the Civic part is half the price..)

i too had the pressure sensor issue. the part cost me £53 from Honda but it requires draining the system so a gas recharge will be needed and at main dealers they expect you to cough up £60 for this. the job involves taking off the front bumper and will set you back an hours labour on top..... so total cost at Honda would be about £210 ish for re-gas, part and fitting!!!! maybe worth getting the part and taking it to a decent indy garage to be fitted

Hello mate.
Among other issues with my A/C recently I had pressure sensor that failed. You can check it by bypassing the sensor (just short the wires) and see if A/C is kicking in. I would bet my money on that really. This is what you want to look for:

Clicky

The sensor is the no 18 - 80450S7S003.
Dan
you can't short the wires on the system in the diesel. The sensor in the diesel is 3-wire. This only works on the system in the petrol.
See http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/

i too had the pressure sensor issue. the part cost me £53 from Honda but it requires draining the system so a gas recharge will be needed and at main dealers they expect you to cough up £60 for this. the job involves taking off the front bumper and will set you back an hours labour on top..... so total cost at Honda would be about £210 ish for re-gas, part and fitting!!!! maybe worth getting the part and taking it to a decent indy garage to be fitted
Yep, I remember yours last year Matt

Yeah you right. You can not check pressure sensor on diesel, it is more complicated. I had exactly the same symptoms and it was sensor. £55 with vat and it took me 3 minutes to change it. Do not have to take bumper off. Do it through lower grill with spanner(i think it was 27). I only removed reg plate to get more room for turning spanner.

3-pin so might be ok

btw, don't try to remove it without making sure that there's no gas in the system

freddofrog said:
3-pin so might be ok

btw, don't try to remove it without making sure that there's no gas in the system
Whats the best way to know if there is gas in the system or not?? I suppose it would need a air con machine ?

You could try slightly undoing one of the joints, put a rag round it, and pull it slightly. If no sound of gas, undo a bit more, etc, etc, until you're sure the joint is loose and no gas escaping. Obviously if any noise of gas starts, wait until the sound is low and then remove the rag and tighten up. Note also that every joint has a seal.

If the compressor hasn't been running then the pressure will not be very high btw but it can still be several Bar.