What's new

what car?

david

Reaction score
Car
accord
Hi guys thinking about buying a new car. its was either between a 2001-2006 A4 or Honda Accord 2003-2007 just wanting to know want to know more about the honda's
got around 6k to spend, so still trying to decide what engines are ideal for me.

most days i do about 30-40miles a day so want something quite good on fuel and a bit of power!! so any suggestions??

Hello, theres a good few 7th gen experts on here, so wait for them to chime in, but I can safely say that mileage you wont need a diesel, you probs best get the 2.4 type s which is petrol still does low to mid 30's mpg and has a reasonable kick of power.

Yeah buy a Vectra :ph34r:

Kidding of course. The Accord ICTDI would be right up your street if you're doing the miles. Nothing nearly as refined or classy in its class or price range.

yep second the 2.4 suggestion given the mileage and mid to high 30s can be expected if driven smoothly, but if you have the occasional blast and foray into vtec expect anything from 25-32mpg I regularly get upto 500 miles out of a tank doing mainly (75%) dual carriageway A road travel with a few moments of fun lol. I should probably swap to deisel given the mileage i do but i just cannot bring myself to do it i would miss that sweet engine noise as it climbs through the revs and then into vtec.

Dan 500 miles is very impressive, much more than I thought you guys were getting..

Have to spend most of the time below 3k rpm and i end up with about, 2.5 litres left ie it takes 62.5 litres till the petrol pump clicks off,
My average mpg is 37ish giving a theoretical mileage of about 530miles as a general rule i try not to empty the tank.... not so good for the fuel pump

I think Accord diesel is better choice than A4 diesel.Honda have good handling,reasonable confort good economy and very reliable car.
Audi is really far from it....

David - my Accord might be available for around £6k....

M8 I was looking at the Audi A4 1.8T just to many issues, nice to drive but not a touch on the Accord. IMHO the Accord is also better screwed together!!! my m8 had a low mileage A3 and then S4 and they were both full of rattles, my Accord had twice the mileage with none. For 6k you can pick up a very nice diesel Accord (Justa) or a 2.4, You will have decided which!! 6K would buy you more car if you purchased an Accord B)

I would imagine if you asked the same question on the Audi forum, they would say the Audi :lol:

My uncle has a year old A4 company car and does about 30k a year in it. He hates it and it spends most of it's life being fixed. The electronic handbrake (optional extra) is always playing up!

My neighbours A4 noise drowns out the Tractor from the farm half a mile away.... Almost as bad as a Merc A class diesel :ph34r:.

My uncle has a year old A4 company car and does about 30k a year in it. He hates it and it spends most of it's life being fixed. The electronic handbrake (optional extra) is always playing up!

Those stupid electric handbrakes are a total waste of time, the only reason i can think of for putting them on is to save space, i have driven a few cars at work with these - Audi A6, Vaux Insignia and a Renault Scenic.
I found them all incredibly anoying and you have to put your foot on the brake to release them, whats wrong with the good old lever!!!!!

Oh yeah - get the Accord mate you cannot go wrong with a Honda :lol:

Buy a 2.4 Accord Petrol .You won't regret it. A very flexable engine, with power throughout the rev range. Mines a very early 03 model on a 52 plate. It's also a auto, but I drive in manual mode 99.5% of the time. Pulls like a train in 3rd gear, and will see off all the boy racer types.
Just decide want trim level you want. I've got the Executive with all the bells and whistles. A very comfy place to sit on a long journey.

I have to agree with the others - Honda is the way forward, scrub the Audi idea. I had an A8 4.2 for a couple of years - it was a fantastic drive, but Audi parts (and VW) are extortionate. I'm not saying A4 parts will be the same cost as A8, but once bitten, twice shy!

I have now had the Accord for rover 3yrs, and touch wood, all its cost me is standard servicing and rubber. No nasty surprises. Normally I'm bored and looking for another motor at 18mths, but this Accord has been fantastic, and as much as I'd like something newer, I can't bring myself to part from this faithful beast.

Buy the Honda!

Obviously the advice on this forum would be to buy the Accord and I would also second that advice.

To be completely honest though I think your best test driving petrol and diesel in both the Audi and Honda, just have to be strong to resist the sales person, after all they are there to talk you into purchasing the car.

I think once you have driven both and see what you get for your money in the Accord I'd be surprised if you went back to the Audi dealership.

buy an audi i have a 2.0l and iam only getting 30mpg and its very under powered i am thinking of getting rid and going for a bmw 330 i have only had it since august.i was getting 26 mpg out of my fn2 type r and that was giving it some beans and if i drove it normaly i would get 33mpg.