What's new

Rhonda The Honda - CK55 ZCU

WizzBang

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2ictdi EX
I'm going to be keep this thread going with updates and ramblings about my car.

First off, a bit about me....

I've done the whole car thing when I was younger, having had hot hatches, moved on to silly quick even hotter hatches, sports cars and then finally graduated onto 2 wheels for the speed buzz. When the bikes came along the cars became very dull, and were all about function and serving my hobby (obsession) of motorcycle trackdays. During my time with all my vehicles, I have been there for their support with my trusty toolkit and try to do as much work as I can, mainly to keep overall costs down, but also because (mainly on the bikes now) I enjoy spannering.

My last car was a VW Passat TDi SE, a nice comfortable car with excellent fuel economy, but after 7 years with me (and being 16 years old) it really started to decline in it's overall quality. I finally made the decision to replace it, but couldn't really decide on what with, I got my budget together and then looked around for whatever caught my eye. There were conditions though, it had to be diesel for economy, well built and well specced, but also had to be a good tow car (see my hobby of trackdays). After tireless searching, and at the start of July, I chose to view an Accord diesel, looked good in the pictures on Autotrader, seemed to have the 'right' bits and the seller (husband on behalf of his wife) was very open and descriptive on the phone. Only problem was the distance, about 100 miles away just outside Bristol (I'm in Portsmouth). No one wanted to give me a lift to view it, so it was a trip made on the train. Friendly seller collected me from thier local train station and the car was viewed, test driven, and then purchased.

Finally onto the car then.....

Meet Rhonda

918dc383-07f6-4849-82de-60c346e180c5_zpse92330af.jpg

Rhonda is a 2.2 i-CDTi Executive with SatNav, 17" alloys and Leather interior.

A bit of history....

Rhonda was 'born' in Cardiff in late November 2005. It stayed there for 5.5 years and averaged 16k miles a year with it's first owner, a lady who used it for business. Serviced on the nose at the main dealer it was then sold onto it's second owner, antother lady who used it professionally. Just like the first owner, it was serviced on schedule, but this time at a trusted local garage, still averaging 15k miles a year.

In short, if the car has needed anything, it's had it, and has been cherished and generally well looked after.

One of the real plus points for me was the the previous owner had a towbar and electrics fitted (only used once), which saved me a good chunk of cash as I need to tow my trailer. The interior is spotless

P1010532_zpsd9d85d5a.jpg

P1010533_zpsb0c47ad0.jpg

and the exterior is very respectable for a car with 136k miles on the clock

P1010526_zps63bc711f.jpg

P1010527_zpseac38f98.jpg

So there we go then, that's Rhonda. The more time I spend in it, the more I like to be there. A real nice car.

The name Rhonda came from the second owner, who (like a lot of women) needed to give the car a name, and seeing the car originally came from Wales, and Rhonda rhymes with Honda, the name was a no brainer. I don't normally name vehicles, and I certainly don't *** them (note no her/she or him etc in my story), but this name seems to have stuck.

It's not all sweetness and light though, and this is the main reason for starting this thread.....there are some problems with it, nothing that I consider to be major, but things that I will eventually try to rectify.

Off side (drivers) headlight can get a bit 'damp' inside, and has already blown one bulb
Handbrake is a bit pants and has a fair bit of travel
When I first got it I noticed that it had fuel starvation on hard acceleration, but after a couple of months of driving, this seems to have subsided and now only seems to do it on hard throttle combined with a real tight turn (ie throwing it into a tight 2nd gear corner and fooring it)
The centre armrest hinge has been repaired and doesn't allow proper movement for the tray section.
The clutch pedal 'clicks' near the end of it's travel
There has been a couple of occasions where 3rd gear feels like it catches and doesn't engage, a firmer push sees it in though. This has only happend a few times and could be me, could be linkage or a syncro, could even be the transmission fluid.
The wheels could do with a refurb as they have some minor flakes etc.
The satnav maps are well out of date.

I will report when there are any updates..........

Lovely stuff man.

First job done today....

Following this guide http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1041-accord-handbrake-adjustment/ I adjusted the handbrake

Very easy job to do, and although the cable pull is now tighter with less travel, I feel that the handbrake is not as keen as it should be. Will have to see what the Honda techs say when I get it in for it's next service.

nice car :).

if rhonda wants to meet a fellow jap accord.. shes welcome to meet 'P***'. my car has a few more miles than yours but shes held together well :).

Well, things have been ticking along nicely, but I haven't crossed any of the jobs off the list yet.

Had the car long enough now to have a proper idea of fuel consumption now too. Around town I get 38mpg, long motorway runs 55mpg, and long runs towing my bike trailer I get 45mpg.

I was on my way to Brands Hatch early on Wednesday morning and had an unfortunate incident where a lorry had one of it's rear tyres delaminate and I hit a large chunk of the debris. The car sustained only minor damage with some scrapes on the lower valance and the off side fog light surround got whipped off.

Just been on ebay and got a replacement surround, also bought a headlight to swap out my goldfish bowl. They should arrive during the coming week, so that will give me something to do next weekend.

Once that is all done, then I will have to get Rhonda booked in for it's service as it's now due the 137.5 mile one, and then it's onto the MOT in November.

Welcome mate lovely looking accord. The clicking clutch pedal is a common issue, there is a fix on the forum somewhere using o-ring grease (had a quick look but couldn't find it) I did it on mine and it works a treat because it is really annoying.

Seeing as we've had nice weather today down here on the South coast, I thought I'd crack on with the headlight replacement.

Starting point...

IMG_1983_zps08021928.jpg

Close up...

IMG_1982_zps327ce93f.jpg

I followed the guide for removing the headlight in the DIY forum, really simple.

After the operation....

IMG_1986_zps064bfc5f.jpg

IMG_1988_zps52cc4e98.jpg

When I finished I thought I'd get the replacement fog light surround fitted. Found a suitable screw in my spares box and all is good.

IMG_1984_zps1a54e13d.jpg

IMG_1987_zps8a5364d5.jpg

Just hope that the replacement headlight doesn't go the same way as the original.

Nice story about your car.Are you bought aftermarket head light?

Seeing as the car is now overdue on the 137.5k mille service I have booked it in at my local Honda dealer

Going in for the standard Honda 12 (minor) service, but also going for the fuel filter change which should hopefully erradicate the usual low pressure fuel drop on hard acceleration.

Rhonda went through it's service today, with no problems highlighted.

I had the fuel filter changed in a bid to clear the hesitating problem that plagues these cars......and sure enough, the problem seems to have vanished and the revs pull right through to the red line cleanly.

They also aligned the replacement headlight correctly, so come next month when the MOT is due, Rhonda should sail straight through (fingers crossed)

Rhonda had it's MOT on Friday, and to my relief it sailed straight through without so much as an advisory.

Hi I know this is 5 years on, but I am struggling finding the fog light surround passenger side, what did you search for on ebay as I am at a loss.
Any help please.
Thanks
Paul

brew69 said:
Hi I know this is 5 years on, but I am struggling finding the fog light surround passenger side, what did you search for on ebay as I am at a loss.
Any help please.
Thanks
Paul
I need both sides. Do a search on eBay for Breaking Accords and you should find plenty.

I just need to get my finger out and do the same !