What's new

DIY - 6th Gen - Handbrake switch and adjusting nut

AndyB1976

Members
Reaction score
Car
2002 F18B2 CG8
As I've been slowly tinkering around I decided to look into the Handbrake switch, as the dash light had never lit with the brake ratcheted upward.

Access is under the central console, cupholder unit. I found it easier to push both seats forward to get to the two rear screws, the third screw is up front, under the rubber mat in the first cup holder.

Left rear screw

tn_IMG_5701.jpg

Right rear screw

tn_IMG_5702.jpg

Top Screw

tn_IMG_5705.jpg

When these have been removed, grab under the rear of the console, no need to take the ashtray out. The front left and right end of the unit has small 'hooks' - ie the end at the gear stick, so you need to sort of wriggle this ,I found to free it. Then lift it up over the handbrake.

tn_IMG_5709.jpg

This is the handbrake adjusting nut. I think its a 12mm spanner to adjust, first rachet position should cause slight drag on raised wheels.

tn_IMG_5708.jpg

This is the handbrake switch (black plastic) attached to the frame by a small bracket. The push button is towards the top, and is depressed by the underside of the handbrake. The white plug here, wasn't connected when I got to it. I pushed it onto the copper connector, lifted the handbrake and joy.....the light appeared on the dash :rolleyes:

tn_IMG_5710.jpg

Reinstallation of the console, is the reverse of removal. Just ensure the front end hooks feel like that are in place and fit flush before tightening up the three screws.

Andy

I haven't done the adjustment yet, as I was going after the actual switch mechanism this time. I've just highlighted the adjustment nut whilst I was there.

You can adjust the nut without raising the rear of the car. However you would want to ensure there is no drag on the rear wheels after adjustment with the handbrake off, slight drag on the 1st ratchet.

When I get round to it, I will raise the rear and check what the current brake condtions are with the handbrake off and also in 1st ratchet position. Then slowly tighten the nut until lthere is slight drag as above.

Andy