What's new

Grom Audio - review

dinoc

Members
Reaction score
Car
2008 Accord Type-S
Hi guys,

Before installing this, on my CL9 I had the Xcarlink iPod unit, which worked fine.
Well ... it worked fine for my wife as she has an iPhone :) but didn't work for me at all ... as I have an Android phone :)
I've emailed those guys from Xcarlink asked them if they sell any Android compatible unit, but the answer was negative.
I did not want any Bluetooth or FM streaming units ... I was looking for a wired one :)
It could be easier/cheaper just to sell my HTC One and buy an iPhone but I refused to go that route, I hate ISO/Apple :) and their proprietary things (cables, software ...)
So I started to google around and finally found this Canadian company Grom Audio which sells units compatible with Android, iPod and regular USB sticks.
They have a UK dealer where I've bought if from:
http://www.gromaudio.co.uk/grom-usb2

So I've ordered one and today I've replaced my Xcarlink with this one .
I'm not going to post pictures with the install , as the install is similar with the Xcarlink install , for which there are a lot of tutorials on this forum, also.
Basically as I have a CL9 with Navi unit, I've followed this great tutorial in order to remove the Navi unit:
http://www.civinfo.com/wiki/index.php?***le=Install_Xcarlink_in_2007_Accord

After all these I've managed to replace my Xcarlink unit with the Grom Audio unit.
As I was interested in connecting either both, an iPhone and an Android phone I've ordered only the USB2microUSB cable and iPod cable.
You can also order the Aux 3.5 cable or a separate unit for Bluetooth unit but I did not need these so I did not ordered them.

After install I tried the unit:
- first I've connected the micro-USB cable to my Android phone (a HTC One)
- in order to make it work you need to install a free app from Google Play Store , called AALinQ
- I've installed the app, and started the app
- then press the CD/AUX button from the head-unit and switch to AUX
- wait a few seconds and you''ll hear a lady saying "USB"
- then OEM head unit started to play the songs from my Android phone which is awesome :)
- you can control the music from Android phone (from the above mentioned app) or from the steering wheel , too which is great
- while connected to micro-USB port, the phone is charging also which is awesome :)

Later I've connected the iPhone to the iPod cable.
- now the trickier part was to switch from Android to iPhone , this is not intuitive , I had to read the manual for this :)
- basically to switch the source you need to press something like FM/AM button then press back the CD/AUX button
- wait for the lady to say "USB" then right after press the skip track button (i.e. using steering wheel buttons) and you''ll here the lady saying "iPod"
- then the music started to be played from the iPhone , so both of them are working which is awesome :)
- the iPhone is being charged while connected, too
- and something else I can control the music from the iPhone and from steering wheel, too (the Xcarlink did not allow me to do both at the same time)

These guys from Grom Audio seem to have a great support, they are releasing new firmwares and you can upgrade the firmware on these units.

So I'm happy that I replaced my Xcarlink unit with the Grom Audio one , finally I can hear the music from my Android phone and from the iPhone also, and the phones are kept charged at the same time, no other charge cables are needed :)

Hmmm looks interesting seeing as my Xcarlink has just died :(

Is the iPhone/iPod cable same as the Xcarlink one? Looks it to me?

It looks similar , tough not sure if the end connector which enters the gromaudio/xcarlink unit is the same.

Thanks, I will dig a bit deeper on that

Another question if you don't mind, What comes up on the dash display?

Nothing :) - only CD/Aux - like the Xcarlink does

And is not the Gromaudio unit fault (as this unit supports CD text) is the limitation of the OEM headunit which does not support CD text , unfortunateley.

It will vary on the Exec as it has a display in the top of the centre console. With the Xcarlink it shows the play list number (where the CD number would be) and the track number. Hopefully it would be the same on the Grom.

I have CL9 type-s latest facelift 2008 special edition with HIDs and navigation (like the top executive model has) and it is not displayed anything anywhere, either on the navy display or on the top small display.
Tried both xcarlink and gromaudio .
It is the limitation of the OEM headunit which does not support CD text.
I saw a video with gromaudio on a Lexus with OEM head unit which does support CD text but the CL9 doesn't.
Not sure about the new models like CU2.

Hi I have a quick question... by putting this in the car does it stop the cd from being used or will both work? (not at the same time)

It will both work, don't worry

ok cool, im really tempted to get one!! just need to be brave enough to rip the dash apart... :S

A small video review with Android and iPhone,
It is in my own language made, for our local Honda cummunity, but I think you can make a small idea about how it works and how it integrates with the Navigation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1x5TZWNJUFk

I've always seen mention of a Y cable to retain sat nav or changer use. Does this not apply to facelift models?

Quince

There was an additional cable in the package but it was not necessary to use it.